Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 03:18 PM

152 posts, read 250,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Jobber, think whatever you want. You ignore everything you can't answer anyway. Your definition of suburb is wrong based on your own "source" and refuse to answer the claim that NYC would still be urban if it was actually a collection of a million or a thousand small cities because you would have to admit an area's urbanity has nothing to do with city limits. Also, I have no idea why I'm arguing about this area with someone who thinks Nassau County served as a 6th borough for decades. Argue on, nobody agrees with you.
It wouldn't be as urban as it is. Boros and neighborhoods in the city need and complement each together creating what is now the city of New York City and its culture.
Single government, planning, transportation system ets are reasons the city grew to what it is today.
New York City is a city while Hudson County is a conglomeration of municipalities and it shows.

Suburbs are boring and that's a fact. Interesting stuff happens in the cities. Are you trying to argue this is not the case?

Last edited by jobber23; 12-07-2010 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times
Jobber, let's get back to relevance here. What area would you pick as the 6th Borough of NYC? Can you come up with one that's not "boring, endless suburbia" ??

I agree with you that MOST of NJ is suburbia -- but Hudson County is clearly NOT suburbia.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:27 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
I am as impressed with 68,000 big Union City and its urban amenities, theaters, lifestyle, culture etc as with other cities from New Jersey's most denesly populated list: West New York - 46K, Hoboken - 38K, East Newark 2,5K and Irvington. All of them but especially the last two, are prime examples of New Jersey style urbanity. Unfortunately folks from other states don't really know what East Newark and Irvington really are.

Bud, none of the "most densely populated cities" in New Jersey is over 100,000 inhabitants. They are hardly cities but definetely fit the Wikipedia's classification of Hoboken i.e. "bedroom community"
Thus proving your absence of knowledge on urbanity.

Quote:
But of course. New Jersey with no single decent city over 500,000 very urban. I think you confuse density with urbanity.
You confuse population with urbanity.

Quote:
Dude. Wikipedia calls Hoboken a "bedroom community". I don't know of any better description of suburbs. Few tall office buildings and density of population does not change the fact that those are suburbs, dense and tall but still suburbs. You and most out of staters believe that you can build a few tall buildings, open a few restuarants and bars and all of a sudden you have Manhattan

PS Those cultural institutions you mentioned especially those like NJPAC located in picturesque Newark: keep them
Avoided the question.

Quote:
Really? Give me an example of 100 people strong AND VERY URBAN city anywhere in the world
What's the point when you already stated Guttenberg is too small for you @ 5k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I'm sorry, but anybody who calls Hoboken a "bedroom community" either A) doesn't know the definition of a bedroom community, or B) knows nothing about Hoboken. Or both A and B.
Bingo

Quote:
Wikipedia is much more reliable than anything that you can read in this forum and defeinitely anything you write here. And yes you can edit it but it will be corrected right after.

Again, Hoboken is a suburbia as the "city" is not self-sustained or self-efficient, its nothing more than a place to sleep and eat.
You don't think you understand the concept of suburbia versus actual city thinking it has something to do with types of building/infrastructure and not the function of the location.

Hoboken lacks actual city life, which is not surprisng since it has been chategorized by Wikipedia as a bedroom community.
You messed up w/ that one b/c it made your pattern too clear. (it wasn't noticeable at first).

You actually referred to wiki as a reliable source for information. And to top it all off, THAT'S YOUR ONLY SOURCE??!!!! With that...you lose in every category.

You don't have the ability to form your own argument; and when challenged you merely avoid. What shame, it was getting good.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
So what is happening in your suburb? Any new art galleries? Happenings?
How about Paramus or West New York, NJ. What exactly is 'happening there?
None of which have anything to do w/ urbanity

You have such trouble making the distinction between a 'popping urban' space and a 'not-so popping urban' space

According to your logic, Oakland, CA is a suburb

----------------------------------------------

Here's a treat (from the revered wiki):

New Jersey is also the most densely populated state, and the only state that has had every one of its counties deemed "urban" as defined by the Census Bureau's Combined Statistical Area.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Jobber, let's get back to relevance here. What area would you pick as the 6th Borough of NYC? Can you come up with one that's not "boring, endless suburbia" ??

I agree with you that MOST of NJ is suburbia -- but Hudson County is clearly NOT suburbia.
I don't think there is really a sixth boro but based on its function and location, Nassau county served as such for centuries providing housing, shopping and recreation to the five boros.

As much as I dont see many similarities between West New York, NJ and neighboring Manhattan, Nassau county seems like a natural extension of Queens: it's hard to notice any drastic chnage when crossing over to Nassau from NYC

Last edited by jobber23; 12-07-2010 at 03:44 PM..

Old 12-07-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
None of which have anything to do w/ urbanity

You have such trouble making the distinction between a 'popping urban' space and a 'not-so popping urban' space

According to your logic, Oakland, CA is a suburb

----------------------------------------------

Here's a treat (from the revered wiki):

New Jersey is also the most densely populated state, and the only state that has had every one of its counties deemed "urban" as defined by the Census Bureau's Combined Statistical Area.
Why do you have to bring other cities to this conversation?
And no, I don't care what Census Bureau says and what traces of urbanity they found in NJ's western and southern counties.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Why do you have to bring other cities to this conversation?
And no, I don't care what Census Bureau says and what traces of urbanity they found in NJ's western and southern counties.
Oooohhhh okay! YOU don't care what the US Census says. My bad...I didn't know

Funny thing is, you pulled info off of wikipedia and advertised the hell out of it, BUT when I pulled info from wiki you say you don't care...
So you only rely on a source when it suits you? FAIL on all levels

Old 12-07-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Oooohhhh okay! YOU don't care what the US Census says. My bad...I didn't know

Funny thing is, you pulled info off of wikipedia and advertised the hell out of it, BUT when I pulled info from wiki you say you don't care...
So you only rely on a source when it suits you? FAIL on all levels
It's not your fault you are from New Jersey. I did not say I don't care about Wikipedia's opinion but just that I don't consider US Census Bureau and expert on urbanity. Unless you have never been to New Jersey you should know that not all of the counties are urban and the western counties neighboring Pennsylvania are mostly forests and southern counties have actually a lot of farming going on there.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
It's not your fault you are from New Jersey. I did not say I don't care about Wikipedia's opinion but just that I don't consider US Census Bureau and expert on urbanity. Unless you have never been to New Jersey you should know that not all of the counties are urban and the western counties neighboring Pennsylvania are mostly forests and southern counties have actually a lot of farming going on there.
The US Census is the one that defines urban areas ie New York-Newark (you know, the one you keep denying exists). Too bad 'you' don't consider them experts on the matter

You want to use wiki, then take everything that goes w/ it.

Apparently being from NJ is helping me a lot more than not being from NJ is helping you! FACE!

Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
The US Census is the one that defines urban areas ie New York-Newark (you know, the one you keep denying exists). Too bad 'you' don't consider them experts on the matter
No I don't. They define statistical areas for stastical purposes only.
They are not experts on urbanity. Want a proof? Check out Warren county and how urban it is....

Quote:
You want to use wiki, then take everything that goes w/ it.
Again, it's not your fault you are from New Jersey...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City