Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 04:19 PM

650 posts, read 1,321,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
My father always said, never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, and then they will beat you with experience each time.

Some of us need to take this advice!
That's so true. I honestly didn't even notice I was being reeled in until I read this.

I think it's best to quit while I'm ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 PM

152 posts, read 249,078 times
Quote:
My father always said, never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, and then they will beat you with experience each time.

Exactly. Stop talking to yourself.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,750,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
That's so true. I honestly didn't even notice I was being reeled in until I read this.

I think it's best to quit while I'm ahead.
You're from NYC, I'm from Northern NJ- We both agree
There's other NYers/NNJians who are on the same page (including the OP)

The only one agreeing with Jobber is KONY... What a duo!- We really should let the troll die from here on out.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 PM

152 posts, read 249,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You're from NYC, I'm from Northern NJ- We both agree
There's other NYers/NNJians who are on the same page (including the OP)

The only one agreeing with Jobber is KONY... lol - We really should let the troll die from here on out.
You are from Jersey, he is from Long Island and you both have the same opinion about New York City. How surprising consdering your are both from the burbs.

Last edited by jobber23; 12-08-2010 at 04:40 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 PM

758 posts, read 1,951,941 times
Quote:
No, people from the Bronx move to Bergen County NJ (one of the wealthiest counties in the US), and they consider it a HUGE step up. It is MUCH more expensive to live in Bergen County than just about ANY neighborhood in the Bronx. They move to NJ to escape the rat hole that is about 80% of the Bronx.
Wait a sec, no need to stoop to the level of other forumers.

The Bronx has a median home price of nearly $400,000, which is not that much lower than in Bergen County.

And Bronx homes tend to be apartments or rowhouses, while Bergen homes tend to be single family homes with yards, yet the two are still comparable in price.

So it isn´t really fair to say Bergen is a big step up. It really depends on the community. Riverdale, in the Bronx, is filled with multi-million dollar homes. So is the Country Club neighborhood. So is Pelham Gardens.

And many Bergen County communities are quite working class.

So, yeah, obviously if you are moving from the South Bronx to Alpine, it´s a HUGE step up. But places like Hackensack are pretty much cheaper than anything in the Bronx.

And the Bronx is hardly a ¨rat hole.¨ This isn´t the 1970´s anymore. The South Bronx has been almost completely rebuilt, and the Bronx is one of the fastest growing parts of the region. Immigrants have revitalized most of the Bronx. They are building luxury highrise condos in the deepest parts of the South Bronx, even in this economy.

Yes, the Bronx still has tons of poverty, but it really has been transformed, more than any other county in the tri-state region during the last 30 years.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:32 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,750,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post

The Bronx has a median home price of nearly $400,000, which is not that much lower than in Bergen County.

And Bronx homes tend to be apartments or rowhouses, while Bergen homes tend to be single family homes with yards, yet the two are still comparable in price.

So it isn´t really fair to say Bergen is a big step up. It really depends on the community. Riverdale, in the Bronx, is filled with multi-million dollar homes. So is the Country Club neighborhood. So is Pelham Gardens.

So, yeah, obviously if you are moving from the South Bronx to Alpine, it´s a HUGE step up. But places like Hackensack are pretty much cheaper than anything in the Bronx.
I like the Bronx and all, and I have very little against it since I have close family roots tied to the borough. But South Bronx is the most poverty stricken district in the nation. Nearly 40% of the district live below poverty line.
The borough (county) itself has the highest poverty rates in the whole NYC metro area.

It's also funny you mention Hackensack. I grew up in Hackensack, and most of the people from NYC in the area originated from the Bronx- Including my mother.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Do we have a place like Secaucus in the five boros? Really? Have you ever been there? I don't reacll seeing super big malls with huge parking lots in the city. So much for the ENTIRE Hudson county being similar to New York or being called the sixth boro ;0
Uh, I guess you´ve never been to Staten Island?

Staten Island has a huge mall, bigger than anything in Secaucus.

In fact, there are parts of Staten Island that are even more suburban than Secaucus. Parts of the South Shore of Staten Island consist of big homes on wooded lots, with deer running through the back yard.

Now admittedly most of Staten Island is not this suburban. Most parts are quasi-urban, especially in the northern half. But there are definitely very suburban parts.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:37 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,239,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post

And the Bronx is hardly a ¨rat hole.¨ This isn´t the 1970´s anymore. The South Bronx has been almost completely rebuilt, and the Bronx is one of the fastest growing parts of the region. Immigrants have revitalized most of the Bronx. They are building luxury highrise condos in the deepest parts of the South Bronx, even in this economy.

Yes, the Bronx still has tons of poverty, but it really has been transformed, more than any other county in the tri-state region during the last 30 years.
It's the most poverty stricken borough of NYC, known worldwide for it's crime ... and Bergen County is one of the wealthiest counties in the nation.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:38 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,239,635 times
I have to say, as annoying as Jobber and KONY are, they are entertaining. Annoying, yet entertaining, like the Ren and Stimpy show from the early 90's! This is the Jobber and KONY show.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I like the Bronx and all, and I have very little against it since I have close family roots tied to the borough. But South Bronx is the most poverty stricken district in the nation. Nearly 40% of the district live below poverty line.
This is true, BUT this Congressional District is almost half public housing. That´s why it is so poor. It´s legally mandated to be poor.

The South Bronx could be more expensive than Park Avenue but would still probably be the poorest urban congressional district. Why? It has the nation´s largest concentration of public housing.

Public housing is, by definition, non-market housing. Bronx market-rate housing, even in the South Bronx, isn´t cheap nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City