Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 10:08 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I love manhattan and have family/friends in manhattan went from elementary school through highschool in manhattan. All i know is manhattan. But this post is retarded

NYC is a real city with real natives from all over the five boroughs. A manhattan native isnt any better than a bronx,brooklyn,queens native.lol

We know this, because there are people who live in affluent neighborhoods in the other boroughs(born and raised) who could just as easily afford a space in manhattan---without a ROOMATE. Lmao. I expect more from you Oy. You actually think that.

Your friend was probably one of those people who think manhattan starts at 96 street. lol. I could be living in wash heights with a manhattan address, does that make me a superior native than someone who lives in park slope. Stfup
Sorry buddy, I don't know how you went through your entire life in NYC without having met native Manhattanites who disdain the outer boroughs and look at it all as just wilderness. You really don't know the living stereotypes of people who only go to the outer boroughs as a necessary evil of getting to the airports Europe or elsewhere in the world? You can say it's "retarded", which I think it is, too (as I think it's incredibly limiting to live in NYC and only restrict yourself to Manhattan), but these people definitely exist and probably have far longer roots in the city than you do.

I think it's hilarious that you want to talk about how ridiculous it is for native Manhattanites to scorn people from the outer boroughs and yet go on and on about how natives of NYC are better than people elsewhere.

And you should know full well that Washington Heights is not where the people I'm talking about live/come from. Also, having friends in Manhattan doesn't mean anything--you didn't grow up there. We're talking about people who grew up there and are completely full of themselves and reject anything that's not part of their milieu. Kind of like the people who harp on being from NYC as if somehow it made them intrinsically superior for no specific personal qualities--pretty much just as stupid and ridiculous. That's one point I can completely agree to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 11:20 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Miami is the 6th.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:17 AM

152 posts, read 250,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sorry buddy, I don't know how you went through your entire life in NYC without having met native Manhattanites who disdain the outer boroughs and look at it all as just wilderness. You really don't know the living stereotypes of people who only go to the outer boroughs as a necessary evil of getting to the airports Europe or elsewhere in the world? You can say it's "retarded", which I think it is, too (as I think it's incredibly limiting to live in NYC and only restrict yourself to Manhattan), but these people definitely exist and probably have far longer roots in the city than you do.

I think it's hilarious that you want to talk about how ridiculous it is for native Manhattanites to scorn people from the outer boroughs and yet go on and on about how natives of NYC are better than people elsewhere.

Of course we all met them. We also met those that look down at people living on the wrong side of Manhattan, East vs. West etc etc. In reality however the boros gained a lot of respect with neighborhoods like Brooklyn Downtown, Park Slope and "recently" Williamsburg becoming more culturally active and even glamorous than parts of Manhattan. Yes, it is much more hip to live in Williamsburg than in Tribeca or Upper East. You are talking about the dying breed and transplants. The city dynamics has changed a lot since 1970. Just try to tell me that Brooklyn's Williamsburg is just a cheaper alternative to Manhattan and I will tell you that this was true in 2000 but not that much in 2010.

There is however huge difference between culturally active neighborhoods in the city and bedroom communities in New Jersey. Hoboken, Wehawken, Edgewater or Alpine are nothing more than suburbs while Williamsburg and Park Slope become epicenters of NY's cultural life with Williamsburg event drawing crowd from all over the city. Do you see that?

Last edited by jobber23; 12-10-2010 at 05:27 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Miami is the 6th.
Nope. Palm Beach county has always been. Just come to Boca.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
jobber23, why the hate for New Jersey?

You realize New York City has marginal power if New Jersey wasn't there? $1.46 Trillion becomes $721 Billion (New York City + Long Island + Westchester + Putnam), and that's half of what it is now.
Nope. If New Jersey wasn't there there would be another state reaping benefits from neighboring with a 10M strong giant acting headquarters of business world. Just take a look at Northern and Central and Southern New Jersey and you will see a huge difference in real estate price and incomes. New York City is not what it is thank to New Jersye or Connecitcut. New Jesey and Connecticut are what they are thanks to NYC. Take away both New York and Philly and New Jersey would be another central Pennsylvania.

Last edited by jobber23; 12-10-2010 at 06:23 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 06:42 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
Quote:
You live in the outer boroughs so it doesn't matter what you say (pretty much what I've heard from several native Manhattanites).
sounds like something that came out of the mouth of a person from a random flyover state that lives in the city off of his or her wealthy parents' money.

if it wasn't for ALL 5 boroughs, nyc wouldn't be what it is. period.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:01 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Nope. If New Jersey wasn't there there would be another state reaping benefits from neighboring with a 10M strong giant acting headquarters of business world. Just take a look at Northern and Central and Southern New Jersey and you will see a huge difference in real estate price and incomes. New York City is not what it is thank to New Jersye or Connecitcut. New Jesey and Connecticut are what they are thanks to NYC. Take away both New York and Philly and New Jersey would be another central Pennsylvania.
NY ISN'T what it is b/c of NJ and CT is a fact. Now, w/ that said, CT and definitely NJ's industrial capacity, location, and populace have a lot to do w/ NYC's growth.

Afterall, when something grows does it not get bigger? NY is built out. Where do you think most of the goods in the NY area come from, NY itself? lol.

PS: there is no city in the US w/ 10million people in its borders.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
New Jesey and Connecticut are what they are thanks to NYC..
But wait! You've said repeatedly how NJ is a bombed-out endless suburbia, right? So we have NYC to thank for that is what you're saying?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
sounds like something that came out of the mouth of a person from a random flyover state that lives in the city off of his or her wealthy parents' money.

if it wasn't for ALL 5 boroughs, nyc wouldn't be what it is. period.

Tourists usually believe that Manhattan is all there is to New York.
And transplants showing off their Manhattan address to family and friends in Ohio.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
But wait! You've said repeatedly how NJ is a bombed-out endless suburbia, right? So we have NYC to thank for that is what you're saying?
Yes, without New York City you would be an endless poverty stricken farmland. To become a suburb you first have to have a city next door with high paying jobs first. There are no suburbs in farmland. Again, there is a huge difference between Northern, Central and Southern New Jersey. Difference in income and real estate prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City