Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 10:09 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Lol so funny that people act like you can pick a distant city in another state and somehow make it NYC's "6th borough". Yeah sure I'm sure sending down all our snowbirds will completely envelop the city in NYC culture such that it becomes a sixth borough.
yes, it sounds so stupid and not even funny. Just pure stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 01:47 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
The only place that makes sense is Hudson County, NJ especially with its distance to Manhattan and transit systems already in place (NJ Transit, PATH, etc.). NYC until the merger was just Manhattan and a little bit of the Bronx until 125 years ago.

This thread is funny though, keep going.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:40 AM

379 posts, read 468,357 times
There should only be five boroughs - with a caveat. Trade Staten Island for Hudson County and call it a day.

By default the city then becomes more populated, more dense, and more diverse. And it is wayyyyy easier to get to Hudson from Manhattan than to Staten Island.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:46 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times
Quote:
Lol so funny that people act like you can pick a distant city in another state and somehow make it NYC's "6th borough". Yeah sure I'm sure sending down all our snowbirds will completely envelop the city in NYC culture such that it becomes a sixth borough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think this thread is meant to be colloquial and facetious. I seriously doubt people literally think these areas are "6th Boroughs". Seriously, get over yourselves. It's no different than people using the term "51st State" for places that have a lot of American influence or its felt America is exerting its influence way too much.

As for this thread, I say that Hudson County, NJ is the most logical choice, maybe parts of Westchester.

Despite the number of NYC transplants, Miami is simply too different from NYC for it to be a "6th Borough" due to the strong Caribbean and Latin influence. NYC has those cultures in spades, but Miami has a more tangible connection due to factors such as weather, climate, vegetation, etc.

Philly has an established culture all its own and referring to it as a "6th Borough" would be a huge disservice to it.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:00 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
If New York had to pick a 6th borough (or find a replacement for Staten Island if they ever secede), where would it be? A classic pick is Philadelphia, and more recently there's been CRAZY TALK of Cleveland, Ohio becoming a destination for priced-out New Yorkers. In fact, we received many personal messages from ex-New Yorkers living over there, singing its praises as the nation's "best kept secret." Before Cleveland, there was talk of Jersey City, Atlanta, and even Yonkers as being contenders for the coveted title—they've all garnered press as the latest migration trend (as have the suburbs, and Kansas City). So, if we're going to extend a prestigious 6th Borough title upon one of them, which should it be?

Poll: Where is New York's 6th Borough? - Gothamist

It would have to be Jersey City or Newark for sure. If you had to stay in state or has to be a New York County, Yonkers all the way! Atlanta, please... Now Philly and Cleveland, I get the mentions but just Tooo far.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:32 AM

101 posts, read 91,662 times
Miami, Snowbird City

Old 09-14-2017, 11:19 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I think this thread is meant to be colloquial and facetious. I seriously doubt people literally think these areas are "6th Boroughs". Seriously, get over yourselves. It's no different than people using the term "51st State" for places that have a lot of American influence or its felt America is exerting its influence way too much.

As for this thread, I say that Hudson County, NJ is the most logical choice, maybe parts of Westchester.

Despite the number of NYC transplants, Miami is simply too different from NYC for it to be a "6th Borough" due to the strong Caribbean and Latin influence. NYC has those cultures in spades, but Miami has a more tangible connection due to factors such as weather, climate, vegetation, etc.

Philly has an established culture all its own and referring to it as a "6th Borough" would be a huge disservice to it.
Facetious, are you kidding? It's been a while since I've frequented the CvC forums, but from what I remember people on here take this **** suuuuuuper seriously. The CvC forum I know gets into all kinds of nerdy yet snarky debates, that usually devolve into statistics wars.

Usually I see Miami referred to as a "sixth borough", which I agree is pretty silly as it's a city with a completely different culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
We better watch out, looks like we triggered someone already.

Last edited by Valhallian; 09-14-2017 at 11:31 AM..

Old 09-14-2017, 11:37 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times
Quote:
Facetious, are you kidding? It's been a while since I've frequented the CvC forums, but from what I remember people on here take this **** suuuuuuper seriously. The CvC forum I know gets into all kinds of nerdy yet snarky debates, that usually devolve into statistics wars.

Usually I see Miami referred to as a "sixth borough", which I agree is pretty silly as it's a city with a completely different culture.

We better watch out, looks like we triggered someone already.
Poster writes a triggered post and yet makes a comment about another poster being triggered. Got it

Old 09-14-2017, 11:55 AM

37 posts, read 36,931 times
6th Borough = Brick City

Old 09-14-2017, 12:19 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Poster writes a triggered post and yet makes a comment about another poster being triggered. Got it
"Get over yourself" sounds like a pretty triggered response to a post that mostly reflected amusement. But not surprised given the forum. You guys get pretty heated over city comparisons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City