Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CITY VS CITY
Chicago 115 43.07%
New York 152 56.93%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:15 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
In other words were tired of telling you how wrong you are and you still don't shut up.
Well you're right on this. Even a clock is right twice a day.

If you continue to claim that a city with three times the crime rate is safer, then all non-Chicago homers will contest this.

But please, we want more of your vast intellect. Please explain how three times the crime rate = safer.

Using your logic, are Gary and East St. Louis safer than Lincoln Park, Chicago? They must be, as they have much higher crime!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I hope you're not suggesting that one city is made up of better immigrant groups than the other.
I never claimed one city has better immigrants than the other; I only (correctly) claimed that the two cities have very different immigrant sources.

Dominicans and Chinese are different from Polish and Mexicans. I'm not sure how this is debatable.

As for finance, yes, Chicago has a significant finance industry, but it is not remotely comparable to NYC.

Finance is the dominant industry in NYC; it isn't at all dominant in Chicago.

And the previous claim was that the cities have a vast number of similarities. Every claimed similarity is intentionally obtuse or factually wrong.

Saying "Chicago has finance jobs and so does NY"; "Chicago has immigrants and so does NY" is frankly stupid. One can do this with any city. "Terre Haute has immigrants and so does Duluth",

Old 12-19-2010, 08:38 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
I never claimed one city has better immigrants than the other; I only (correctly) claimed that the two cities have very different immigrant sources.

Dominicans and Chinese are different from Polish and Mexicans. I'm not sure how this is debatable.

As for finance, yes, Chicago has a significant finance industry, but it is not remotely comparable to NYC.

Finance is the dominant industry in NYC; it isn't at all dominant in Chicago.

And the previous claim was that the cities have a vast number of similarities. Every claimed similarity is intentionally obtuse or factually wrong.

Saying "Chicago has finance jobs and so does NY"; "Chicago has immigrants and so does NY" is frankly stupid. One can do this with any city. "Terre Haute has immigrants and so does Duluth",
Mexicans are one of the top five sources for immigration to NYC, and their numbers have steadily increased. There are also significant Polish immigrant sections of Brooklyn, and NYC has the largest number of Polish in a United States city, narrowly edging Chicago in raw numbers, if not percentage.

Chicago's finance industry is one of top finance industries in the world, with some of the largest futures exchanges and major baking corporations in the world based in the city. It is a top destination for finance graduates, and is also a hotbed for economics research due to the presence of the University of Chicago. Finance is a major component of the Chicago economy.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:37 PM

13 posts, read 23,450 times
I've been in the Loop and I have been in midtown. They feel very similar. There are parts of River North, etc. that have a NYC feel, also.

Outside of that I'm sure the two cities differ.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Mexicans are one of the top five sources for immigration to NYC, and their numbers have steadily increased.
Gee there are Mexicans in both Chicago and NYC; they must be twins!

Can you name ONE U.S. city that doesn't have Mexican immigrants? You can't, so using your logic, all cities are pretty much the same!

I guess Anchorage and El Paso are exactly like Chicago, because Mexicans are the #1 immigrant group in both cities.

There is no significant city in the country where Mexicans aren't among the top immigrant groups. That's like saying Chicago and NYC are similar because they have roads, or because they have buildings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Chicago's finance industry is one of top finance industries in the world, with some of the largest futures exchanges and major baking corporations in the world based in the city. It is a top destination for finance graduates, and is also a hotbed for economics research due to the presence of the University of Chicago. Finance is a major component of the Chicago economy.
This is boosterish nonsense.

Wharton is always ranked the nation's top school for finance, so I guess Philly is "one of the top cities for finance in the world". And Harvard is usually ranked #2, so I guess Cambridge, MA is "one of the top cities for finance in the world".

And while Chicago is arguably #2 in the U.S. in finance, one could just as easily make a case for San Francisco (far, far more VC and banking than Chicago) or Boston (far, far more mutual funds, VC and banking than Chicago).

And saying Chicago is #2 in finance is like saying Peoria has the second largest skyline in Illinois. It may be true, but it doesn't mean Peoria is comparable to #1. NYC has more finance than the next 10 cities combined.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownDude View Post
I've been in the Loop and I have been in midtown. They feel very similar. There are parts of River North, etc. that have a NYC feel, also.

I would suggest you seek an optomitrist.

River North has parking lots, strip malls, a suburban-style McDonalds, drive-through banks, etc. Every new building contains a giant parking podium. An elevated line runs through the neighborhood. Does this sound like Midtown?

River North isn't remotely comparable to Midtown.

Or maybe you're using the faulty logic previously used on this thread. "NYC and Chicago both have Mexicans, so they are alike". "River North and Midtown both have buildings, roads, and people, so they are alike".

Old 12-22-2010, 03:51 PM

177 posts, read 479,524 times
^Since you cant give Chicago credit in anything, and continually try to downplay the city's significance to the point of insanity, I suggest you seek a therapist.

Im honestly suprised to see you still on this forum, still talking as much crap about Chicago as you can, and still having to deal with the fact that it is comparable to the worlds greatest cities, including NYC, in many different areas. You are totally wasting your time, but again, I almost admire the incredibly difficult (impossible?) task you have taken on in trying to make Chicago sound insignificant. Its just that I fear for your mental health. With this crusade of yours, and your consistent failures (you are not going to win), it appears you truly have some serious mental issues.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:35 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Gee there are Mexicans in both Chicago and NYC; they must be twins!

Can you name ONE U.S. city that doesn't have Mexican immigrants? You can't, so using your logic, all cities are pretty much the same!

I guess Anchorage and El Paso are exactly like Chicago, because Mexicans are the #1 immigrant group in both cities.

There is no significant city in the country where Mexicans aren't among the top immigrant groups. That's like saying Chicago and NYC are similar because they have roads, or because they have buildings.

This is boosterish nonsense.

Wharton is always ranked the nation's top school for finance, so I guess Philly is "one of the top cities for finance in the world". And Harvard is usually ranked #2, so I guess Cambridge, MA is "one of the top cities for finance in the world".

And while Chicago is arguably #2 in the U.S. in finance, one could just as easily make a case for San Francisco (far, far more VC and banking than Chicago) or Boston (far, far more mutual funds, VC and banking than Chicago).

And saying Chicago is #2 in finance is like saying Peoria has the second largest skyline in Illinois. It may be true, but it doesn't mean Peoria is comparable to #1. NYC has more finance than the next 10 cities combined.

I mentioned the presence of both Mexicans and Polish, as a subset of the two cities having ethnicities in common. Both cities have strong Irish, Italian, and Eastern European populations, similar percentages of hispanics/latinos (even if from some different sources while sharing some in common) but that in and of itself does not make them similar. However, you made it seem as if both cities did not have any immigrant groups in common.

Your second point is hilarious. Chicago has one of the top finance industries int he country, and even you couldn't discredit that fact. (For your reference UChicago was #2 in finance this past year). the presence of a top school does not guarantee that the city/metro it is located in will be a top financial center...but how could you argue that it could hurt? However, in terms of research (my whole point) the University of Chicago is highly productive in that field.

Of more importance, Chicago has one of the most important finance industries in the world due to its large futures exchanges, as I mentioned previously. That is a fact, and not mere boosterism. You only seem to cite boosterism when you've been discredited and have nothing further to add.

Not from Chicago, don't currently live there. I'm not a booster.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:51 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
We needed another one of these threads!

For what it's worth, I would rather live in Chicago any day of the week.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto View Post
^Im honestly suprised to see you still on this forum, still talking as much crap about Chicago as you can, and still having to deal with the fact that it is comparable to the worlds greatest cities, including NYC, in many different areas.
I guess the delusional boosterism is in full effect.

Chicago is now comparable to NYC, Paris, London and Tokyo, according to some boosters!

I must have missed the strip malls, gas stations and parking lots in Central Paris. I must have missed the vast abandoned dead zones and killing fields covering 60% of the city, like the South and West Sides of Chicago.

And, hey, Schaumburg is basically like Versailles, correct?

Since you're comparing with cities many times the size and prominence of Chicago, you totally agree that it's fair to compare Chicago to Milwaukee and Indianapolis, correct?

Because Indy is far closer to Chicago than Chicago is to Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City