Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CITY VS CITY
Chicago 115 43.07%
New York 152 56.93%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:22 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy85 View Post
According to what?

That is entirely subjective.

Theatre? A lot of theatre that NYC gets starts out in Chicago. Same for comedy.

Sports? If youre not from NY, how can you say its the best? Theres no rooting interest there.

Food? Food here is great, some you cant find any better anywhere else. By the same token, ive had food a million other places that are better than what youd find here as well. There are plenty of other quality world class restaurants in other cities.

Transit? Well, Chicago's El transit I find much easier to navigate, and cleaner. The subway is full of zombies most of the time. It does cover more than any other city, runs 24/7 and is heated and cooled, which is great.
What are some of the shows NYC gets that started in Chicago? Not disputing just curious.

I'm born and raised in Washington heights section of Manhattan and been living in Chicago for 9 months. Chicago is a fine city, but I think I have become spoiled by the amount different types of food I had within a few blocks of my old apartment, in Chicago while the food can be just as good, everything is so spread out in comparison, that is my biggest complaint.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:25 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
In what regard?
Yeah from about Elkton MD to the Ikea north of Baltimore it is not all the well developed; maybe 15 miles or so

Old 03-16-2012, 11:27 AM

269 posts, read 416,269 times
There are plenty of stretches even on the Jersey Turnpike of nothing.

Not sure what kind of urban we're referring to. Its not like one giant city from NYC to Philly. Its definitely somewhat urban but its spread out. Vast suburbs.

Philly to DC there are large stretches of just nothing. Nothing urban about that.

If youre driving from NYC to DC, you definitely know when youre entering one city and leaving and entering another.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:29 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Solidly urban throughout huh? That is the claim people are making.

I know I am from CA and don't know what urban is, but this doesn't seem like it is either: new york - Google Maps
Although I don't agree that it's solidly urban throughout, 2 points on your observation:

1. I think when people say urban, they mean urban or suburban. i.e. developed.

2. The highway streetview means nothing as the tree cover can disguise a pretty densely populated suburban area. It's actually very typical in the NE.

This is Palisades Parkway, just a few miles from Manhattan:

new york - Google Maps

And this is right off the Parkway:

new york - Google Maps

Now if there is nothing around the highway, that's a different story.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:29 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yeah from about Elkton MD to the Ikea north of Baltimore it is not all the well developed; maybe 15 miles or so
I'll give them that the southern burbs of Wilmington DE, up to Connecticut are developed (not urban) - which is impressive, but still not a wall of continuous urbanity that many posters (not you) make it out to be.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
There are plenty of stretches even on the Jersey Turnpike of nothing.

Not sure what kind of urban we're referring to. Its not like one giant city from NYC to Philly. Its definitely somewhat urban but its spread out. Vast suburbs.

Philly to DC there are large stretches of just nothing. Nothing urban about that.

If youre driving from NYC to DC, you definitely know when youre entering one city and leaving and entering another.

There is a reason for that but been beat to death. The Jersey turnpike in many ways bypasses the more developed corrider because they build on open land left by Ft Dix and the upper portion of the Pine Barrens

Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I'll give them that the southern burbs of Wilmington DE, up to Connecticut are developed (not urban) - which is impressive, but still not a wall of continuous urbanity that many posters (not you) make it out to be.

I would agree. Its certainly developed, but not all one giant urban landscape.

However, you do know when youre entering and leaving a certain cities metro for the most part.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:34 AM

Philly to DC?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...61.54,,0,-4.01

Honestly, there are stretches like this from Boston to DC.

Most of the drive is like this.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:35 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
There is a reason for that but been beat to death. The Jersey turnpike in many ways bypasses the more developed corrider because they build on open land left by Ft Dix and the upper portion of the Pine Barrens
I agree and the point you make about the Turnpike bypassing the development makes sense. But bragging about how the cities on the Atlantic seaboard have basically sprawled into each other and passing that off as being urban the entire way is kind of silly - especially coming from some who bash other areas endlessly about sprawl.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:38 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
I agree and the point you make about the Turnpike bypassing the development makes sense. But bragging about how the cities on the Atlantic seaboard have basically sprawled into each other and passing that off as being urban the entire way is kind of silly - especially coming from some who bash other areas endlessly about sprawl.
Nobody bashes areas about sprawl. People do, however, bash cities for sprawl. Suburbs are supposed to be low-density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City