Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CITY VS CITY
Chicago 115 43.07%
New York 152 56.93%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy85 View Post
Isnt Minneapolis 2nd or something?
Heck no, it is Los Angeles easily.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:29 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
urban? no, just developed land.
Yeah you aren't a ridiculous EC booster. I definitely agree that stretch is mostly completely developed. Not sure that is something to brag about though.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:30 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Heck no, it is Los Angeles easily.
I hope so or I am going to feel pretty stupid about my comment.

Per capita though I could see how a smaller city with a great theater scene could be number 2.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM

269 posts, read 416,244 times
Sweet home Chicago: Best Sports City 2010 - NHL - Sporting News

Old 03-16-2012, 12:32 PM

248 posts, read 288,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy85;[URL="tel:23434765"
23434765 (tel:23434765 - broken link)[/url]]Tristann, youre talking to someone from NY. I think id know a thing or two about where I come from.

Im the homer? because im speaking objectively about Chicago and NYC?

People have their own reasons for living where they want to live, and not everyone thinks NYC is the best of the best or the greatest, and theyre entitled to it. Who are you to tell them any different? Its subjective.

I forgot, im sorry, as an NYer, im supposed to look down on everyone and act elitist. Forgive me.
Objectively? You comparing NY sports, dining or entertainment to Chicago's and you claim objectivity? Do you know that even DC's and Houston theater scene is richer than Chicago's?

I am not telling anybody where to live, this is an Internet forum where we discuss and argue even over things that ate obvious. Without my interference there are already three times as many people who chose to live in New York than in Chicago.
Thats the most important vote, real live vote.

You don't have to look down at Chicago but if somebody claims Chicago theater is comparable to New York's you got to laugh. Its 500 world class theaters with star directors and actors compared to 10

I can be nice to everybody and simply smile and nod but there are limits. Nobody can tell me that the Cubs are as good as the Yankees or that Chicago food scene or public transport is in any way comparable to New Yorks. I have seen and experienced them both. I could make this list much longer but why?

I always give credit when the credit is due but don't expect me to take absurd claims with a straight face. Remember, only people with inferiority complex consider truth based on statistics and other real live data data as demeaning.

Last edited by tristann; 03-16-2012 at 12:45 PM..

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Per capita though I could see how a smaller city with a great theater scene could be number 2.
per capita I think places like Minneapolis and Houston might be in terms of "theaters in an area" tickets per population, and other meaningless stats... but eh, I generally don't care for "per capita" numbers. or "highest concentrations"
Theater, NYC 1, LA 2
Movies, LA 1, NYC 2...

and so on and so forth.

Quote:

Yeah youre right, Twin Cities are 2nd per capita.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:34 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
I guarantee there are more than 10 theaters in all of Chicago.

Some of the best productions are NOT high budget Broadway shows IMO. I prefer more intimate shows. The best/most entertaining musical I ever saw was at a small community theater in Hollywood, putting on H.P. Lovecraft's Reanimator: The Musical.

Although there really is no questioning NY is the leader in theater production, and Chicago is not 2nd.
There are 23 theatres in the immediate downtown area, and over 200 in the area. That's live action, not movie or music. Most of them are fairly small though I'm sure.

Chicago Theatre Map

Old 03-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
Objectively? You comparing NY sports, dining or entertainment to Chicago's and you claim objectivity? Do you know that even DC's and Houston theater scene is richer than Chicago's?

I am not telling anybody where to live, this is an Internet forum where we discuss and argue even over things that ate obvious. Without my interference there are already three times as many people who chose to live in New York than in Chicago.

You don't have to look down at Chicago but if somebody claims Chicago theater is comparable to New York's you got to laugh. Its 500 world class theaters with star directors and actors compared to 10

I can be nice to everybody and simply smile and nod but there are limits. Nobody can tell me that the Cubs are as good as the Yankees or that Chicago food scene or publci transport is in any way comparable to New Yorks. I have seen both. I could make this list much longer.

I give credit when the credit is due but don't expect me to take absurd claims with a straight face.

My point is, nobody cares. You cant force people to care if they dont. Its all subjective. Its all preference.

Population means absolutely nothing. The lesser population I would argue works in Chicago's favor considering it gives greater balance to space. Again, it depends on preference.

Quality over quantity. Ever hear of that?

Show me where I said the Cubs are as good or better? Im talking about Chicago sports as a whole. Theyre 3/5, were very close to going 4/5. We're 2/6, or 2/8 depending on what teams you consider NY teams.

How much success have you had if youre a Jets, Mets, Rangers and Knicks fan? Surely, the best of sports there. The only team that really, doesnt get ripped all year is the Yankees. The Giants win in 07 by many was seen as a fluke, until this February. Coughlin was on the damn hot seat in December.

Food? is there anything more subjective than food? (music probably). Chicago is a great food town, and in many ways, rivals NYC in food quality as well. I dont subscribe to some BS restaurant magazine. I subscribe to my own personal tastes.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:41 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post

I can be nice to everybody and simply smile and nod but there are limits. Nobody can tell me that the Cubs are as good as the Yankees or that Chicago food scene or publci transport is in any way comparable to New Yorks. I have seen both. I could make this list much longer.

I give credit when the credit is due but don't expect me to take absurd claims with a straight face.
God dude chill out. It's just a debate on a website. You're freaking out attacking everyone for every comment made. Someone says Chicago has decent theatre, which it does, and you go wild bashing it into the ground as if it's a silly waste of time and New York has a bigger scene. Of course it does. No one said it doesn't. No one said Chicago has a better scene either. People are reacting to you because you're so belittling anything and everything that isn't NYC. That's a huge turnoff and not a very effective way to have a healthy debate. It comes across really insecure, which obviously NYC doesn't need to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City