Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CITY VS CITY
Chicago 115 43.07%
New York 152 56.93%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:18 PM

269 posts, read 416,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Chicago is a great city no doubt, but just reading your posts, it doesn't sound like you are really THAT familiar with it; at least from a Chicagoans perspecitve.

Grass is greener perhaps, but its not brain surgery to know how tough it is being an NY fan, outside the Yanks.

This guys talkin about "world class" and ****. He wouldnt be saying that if he was a real NY sports fan.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
case in point....who says silly crap like this. NYC, San Fran and Chicago are known as the top three cities for restaurants. They're the only three that even get Michelin stars.....yet Chicago is just a fast food, Arby's and Potbelly kinda town.

He probably doesnt realize that San Francisco food is among the best tasting and quality in the country, even OVER NYC. A lot of the food is grown local. Thats among one of the most fertile agricultural parts of the country, and id bet the world.

Sure, our dough is good cause of the water, but I was just in SF in January, and the food was amazing. Even the pizza.

For such a debate, the poll is sure damn close at 56% to 43%. Youd expect a 80-20 or 70-30 or even a 90-10 the way some people make it out to be.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:24 PM

248 posts, read 288,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy85;[color=violet
23437673[/color] (tel:23437673 - broken link)]My roots are in Brooklyn, bud.

Youre a **** poor representative of this city, if you even live here.

Youre a wannabe. Real NYers have class and dont care about trivial rankings and lists. Outsiders that move here do.
Your roots are in Brooklyn? You don't even talk like someone from the Greater New York Area And real New Yorkers don't let people talk sh*t about their city. Represent.

My guess is your are from Illinois or Ohio, went to Big Ten and trying to make it New York and surprised nobody pays attention to you and your Midwestern values there.

And yes, nobody really pays attention to ranking and lists, reality is the best verification of performance and the property values and growing population of New York City as compared to Chicago clearly indicates which city is more appealing, successful and ...better.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:25 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy85 View Post
Just as everyone did last year, right?

Im not sold on the Heat. Its going to come down to the Bulls and Heat though. Didnt the Bulls just beat Miami like two days ago?
I don't think the Bulls can beat the Heat in a 7 game series. Yes, they beat them the other night, but also went 3-1 against them in the reg season last year as well, but lost to them in 5 in the playoffs.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:25 PM

261 posts, read 500,849 times
NY has what is by far the most famous organization in sports in the Yankees. Mets have two WS titles. Chicago's success with baseball is just pathetic as they have two teams yet went from 1917-2005 without seeing a WS despite being an enormous and attractive market.

I would say you can consider the Giants a top 5 all time NFL franchise with their latest Super Bowl win. 4 Super Bowls in the last 26 seasons is just obscene. They are a classic franchise whose history can hold it's own with the Niners, Packers, Steelers, and Cowboys. The Jets meanwhile obviously have a frustrated history. Chicago's Bears have just one Super Bowl and a slew of pre-WW2 NFL championships when there were like 8 teams in the league.

Chicago obviously wins the NBA hands down. They had the most famous athlete ever in Jordan and won 6 titles. Their merchandise and logo was famous world-wide. They have a great chance of winning another championship with Rose. The Knicks meanwhile have had a tortured history for the past 40 years. It has to drive New Yorkers nuts that the teams in rival markets (Boston, Los Angeles, and Chicago) have had an abundance of success while the Knicks haven't won a ring since 1973.

Both had long hockey droughts before the Rangers won in 94 and Blackhawks in 2010

I'd give a slight edge to NY. They have the most famous organization in sports (Yankees) along with an NFL team (Giants) that can now easily be ranked as a top 5 all time franchise.

Regardless, you will have plenty of fun with sports in either city.

Last edited by indy18; 03-16-2012 at 03:42 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy85 View Post
Grass is greener perhaps, but its not brain surgery to know how tough it is being an NY fan, outside the Yanks.

This guys talkin about "world class" and ****. He wouldnt be saying that if he was a real NY sports fan.
Agreed, im the same way: a jaded Chicago sports fan.

From your posts I just get the sense you have a bias of Chicago over NYC. I'm from Chicago, but have lived in NYC for a few years.

Chicago in my opinion is the second most "complete" city in the country, but NYC is far and away my favorite city, I am thinking of moving back there once I figure out what I want to do when I'm ready to leave DC (my current city).

Old 03-16-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
Your roots are in Brooklyn? You don't even talk like someone from the Greater New York Area And real New Yorkers don't let people talk sh*t about their city. Represent.

My guess is your are from Illinois or Ohio, went to Big Ten and trying to make it New York and surprised nobody pays attention to you and your Midwestern values there.

And yes, nobody really pays attention to ranking and lists, reality is the best verification of performance and the property values and growing population of New York City as compared to Chicago clearly indicates which city is more appealing, successful and ...better.
Whos talking **** about NYC? The only person talking any **** is you on Chicago. Its a favorite city of mine, and I appreciate it for many reasons different than NYC.

Gimme a break, for the average American, which would be the majority of this country, property values in Chicago are 10x more appealing. Theyre not far off from Philly, which is a ****ing bargain.

Dude has been sassin me all day.

Sorry to disappoint you, im not allowed to appreciate other towns.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
NY has what is by far the most famous organization in sports in the Yankees. Mets have two WS titles. Chicago's success with baseball is just pathetic as they have two teams yet went from 1917-2005 without seeing a WS despite being an enormous and attractive market.

I would say you can consider the Giants a top 5 all time NFL franchise with their latest Super Bowl win. 4 Super Bowls in the last 26 seasons is just obscene. They are a classic franchise whose history can hold it's own with the Niners, Packers, Steelers, and Cowboys. The Jets meanwhile obviously have a frustrated history. Chicago's Bears have just one Super Bowl and a slew of pre WW2 NFL championships when there were like 8 teams in the league.

Chicago obviously wins the NBA hands down. They had the most famous athlete ever in Jordan and won 6 titles. Their merchandise and logo was famous world-wide. They have a great chance of winning another championship with Rose. The Knicks meanwhile have had a tortured history for the past 40 years. It has to drive New Yorkers nuts that the teams in rival markets (Boston, Los Angeles, and Chicago) have had an abundance of success while the Knicks haven't won a ring since 1973.

Both had long hockey droughts before the Rangers won in 94 and Blackhawks in 2010
I'd give the nod to NY in sports.

I'd give a slight edge to NY. They have the most famous organization in sports (Yankees) along with an NFL team (Giants) that can now easily be ranked as a top 5 all time franchise.

I think this is a fair post.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post

I would say you can consider the Giants a top 5 all time NFL franchise with their latest Super Bowl win. 4 Super Bowls in the last 26 seasons is just obscene. They are a classic franchise whose history can hold it's own with the Niners, Packers, Steelers, and Cowboys. The Jets meanwhile obviously have a frustrated history. Chicago's Bears have just one Super Bowl and a slew of pre WW2 NFL championships when there were like 8 teams in the league.

I'd give the nod to NY in sports.

To be more clear, im talking recent success. Thats why I said last 20.

Im a Ranger fan, but anything before 94, isnt something I can necessarily be proud of or celebrate. 54+ years. They won 3 Cups in 28, 33, and 40.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Agreed, im the same way: a jaded Chicago sports fan.

From your posts I just get the sense you have a bias of Chicago over NYC. I'm from Chicago, but have lived in NYC for a few years.

Chicago in my opinion is the second most "complete" city in the country, but NYC is far and away my favorite city, I am thinking of moving back there once I figure out what I want to do when I'm ready to leave DC (my current city).

At this point in time, I do. Im looking to leave NY and I have my eyes on Chicago or Philly.

NY is home, always will be. Ive grown to dislike certain things about it though. My roots are here though.

I like more things about NYC, but $$$$ wise, Chicago is more affordable and offers just the same IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City