Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CITY VS CITY
Chicago 115 43.07%
New York 152 56.93%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:55 PM

248 posts, read 288,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post

Chicago is more urban than the above areas posted.

Yeah, sure it's continued non stop density through out the Northeast

yawn....oh, the excitement. The Hoboken and Guttenburg like density is just everywhere in NJ, sure I'll take your word for it.

Speaking of Northeast elitism you'll probably have a delusion to say this is more urban than Chicago. "LOL"

NYC really spreads it density all over the metro. Hoboken like development is just every where let me tell you. Hey, is that an alligator park with Newark in the background. Where the trourist boats at? A zoo perhaps? or is that an exaggeration of endless invisible row houses I see?

Actually the Midwestern metro areas are growing even Detroit's but if you're only looking at just city then Indy, Minneapolis, and Columbus are growing at a faster rate than any Northeastern city. Just look it up

Sorry but the high density numbers of Hoboken and Guttenberg don't cover every square mile of Northern NJ. Those are such small areas. Come on you can try better than that can't you?

Again, some areas look like this in NJ but what do I know even though I've been there millions of times over. I at least have photos to back it. You have nothing but banter my friend.

There also many places like Newark or New Haven losing their populations big deal. The metro areas of both Detroit and Chicago are growing and that's what counts. Chicago is nothing like Detroit because it has way more economic diversity, importance and is one of the most economically important global cities. It ranks second in the nation after NYC when it comes to market trading. The Chicago Board of Trade is very important. Something were to happen it would also effect the prices food in every supermarket. The CBOT owns the merc in NYC. Chicago doubles Detroit in population and is more economically diversed. Once again, you are clueless stuck inside your own bubble that you know nothing about Chicago.

Sure it's not but I just proved that there isn't much of a difference when it comes to the urbanized population totals between both regions. You're like a broken record that still can't accept this fact of reality. Shall I post these figures again.

The "rustbelt region" also applies to the Northeast go figure. We as a country don't have the kind of manufacturing base we once did as more stuff is made in China. Hello. Yes, there are also many areas in the Northeast losing population. It's not Texas by any means when it comes to growth. Here let me help you once again since you can't seem to provide any credible proof to verify your claim.

Source > Rust Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The personality of both cities style are subjective. If NYC was so great it's no wonder why so many foreigners also picked Chicago to live in for many years. As for 24/7, Chicago has some train lines that run 24/7 with many places still open. Now I know you haven't been to Chicago. There are other cities that are 24/7 as well like Vegas, New Orleans, and South Beach. NYC isn't the only 24/7 city. I probably been to more places many times in this country than you have. All 47 states out of the 50. I least appreciate the places with a more open mind.

Dude. Why don't just post pictures of Central Park to prove NYC is mostly forestry? Lol.
In Northeast there is one big city after another. Its an hour drive from NYC to Phila with over 1M in population. What's one hour from Chicago? LOL

Why don't you compare populations of Northward and Midwest and their areas and you will easily find which is more urbanized and dense. Lol

Old 03-20-2012, 03:57 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Wouldn't you just take the leftovers to the fridge? Or you can order a really small pizza. Or are you talking about deep dish? With deep dish, again, most people NEVER eat that alone. It's something that is occassional and in groups. It's kind of like Margaritas. It's not like beer, where you might just drink a couple at home. Margaritas are more for going out and drinking at certain places. Not something you would typically drink alone at home. Same goes for deep dish.
I'm talking about thin crust. I am not a fan of left over pizza, i would rather get it hot and fresh. I typically want 1 or 2 slices that is it. I am usually left with 3/4 of a pizza that goes to waste or stuck walking around with a box of pizza.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:58 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
Dude. Why don't just post pictures of Central Park to prove NYC is mostly forestry? Lol.
In Northeast there is one big city after another. Its an hour drive from NYC to Phila with over 1M in population. What's one hour from Chicago? LOL

Why don't you compare populations of Northward and Midwest and their areas and you will easily find which is more urbanized and dense. Lol
Seriously man, why are you so insulting? Says a lot about your character as a person. You don't like Chicago and NYC is the best city in the universe. We get it. No one cares.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I'm talking about thin crust. I am not a fan of left over pizza, i would rather get it hot and fresh. I typically want 1 or 2 slices that is it. I am usually left with 3/4 of a pizza that goes to waste or stuck walking around with a box of pizza.
Most places have small enough sizes, at least where I order from. Certain places do sell them by the slice, but you do have to seek them out. Pizza I think is just viewed differently in Chicago. It's not something you eat on the go or that you eat that common. It's also something you eat more in a group.

The thing is NYC is a city always on the move, so everything needs to be done quickly. Which is why you see pizza by the slice always being sold same with hot dogs. In Chicago they are much rarer because it's more laid back. There isn't a need to get a hot dog so quickly. Rather people will literally stand in line for 40 minutes to get a hot dog from Hot Doug's, because they can and there is no rush. Although Hot Doug's is a special place, but in general it's not something as commonly eaten here. Pizza and Hot Dogs are eaten a lot more in NYC than in Chicago. Probably because it's more available as well.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
Cultural difference. Pizza in Chicago is definitely NOT considered an on-the-go/walk'n'eat option. The slice thing is not popular at all, and deep dish's importance is way overstated. Most Chicagoans get thin/party slice (cut into squares) on a regular basis.

Its a difference of pace. NYC is not only 24/7 but much more fast paced than Chicago so it developed on the go foods. Pizza in New York is a quick bite.
The difference in pace also drives the fact that NY has street vendors so people can grab a bite while they walk.
Its unbelievable how different Chicago 's and NYC is.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:07 PM

398 posts, read 750,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I would agree completely. I typically ask the pizzeria to cut the pizza in triangles rather than square. Im not a fan of the middle pieces without the crust.
One thing I still don't understand is, what if you are a single person and craving a pizza? Do you order an entire pie and waste the rest? I loathe cold / left over pizza, and I end up wasting half of it.
Could boil down to a group mentality type thing... It seems the midwest is more family oriented, sit down, slower about everything including pizza. While NYC there are a lot of single studio apt dwellers always on the go, who need just a bite. I am generalizing here but it could be something to do with the different kind of options in these cities. I would feel the same way, I haven't ordered a whole pizza in years nor do I have a bunch of roommates, I will even drive to Whole Foods if I want pizza b/c they have it by the slice. There are some other places in the Bay Area that have pizza by the slice and I will go there. I was driving out to see somebody recently and stopped at this place.

Mombo's Pizza | Home | Sebastopol & Santa Rosa California - Delivery Or Sit Down!

That is the type of place I like. Nice slice sitting out, might warm it up a bit a sec in the oven, but that is all I want.

Tony's Coal-Fired Pizza & Slice House, S.F.
http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2012/01/16/ns-Bargainbite_t_SFC0105685066_part6.jpg (broken link)
This place is pretty new and good too.
That is what I'm talking about!

I don't really remember anywhere like that when I was visiting Chicago, which to me is sad. But oh well, they have their own thing, NYC has theirs, but I think a lot of other cities in the U.S. follows the NYC lead.
It seems SF does the NYC pizza style thing, admittedly it isn't as good as NYC but at least they are trying.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Seriously man, why are you so insulting? Says a lot about your character as a person. You don't like Chicago and NYC is the best city in the universe. We get it. No one cares.
How is comparing populations insulting? Are you in denial and simply don't like to be reminded of some facts?

Old 03-20-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
How is comparing populations insulting? Are you in denial and simply don't like to be reminded of some facts?
"What's one hour from Chicago? LOL" is insulting. Funny, you note how Philly is one hour away, but I am sure you are the same type of person that will bash Philly right away when compared to NYC. Am I right?

It's just not this one thing you have said, but spanning the several pages of this thread, you have been insulting.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:18 PM

398 posts, read 750,869 times
Quote:
"What's one hour from Chicago? LOL" is insulting. Funny, you note how Philly is one hour away, but I am sure you are the same type of person that will bash Philly right away when compared to NYC. Am I right?

It's just not this one thing you have said, but spanning the several pages of this thread, you have been insulting.
I am not sure, I am not from either of these places but that is a good thing. NYC could be split into three different cities, and they would all be bigger and with more going on than Chicago. NYC is not just a double of Chicago, it's much more. NYC has over 3x the population of Chicago. Then you have Philadelphia close, which is head and shoulders above any other Midwest city outside Chicago. Then you have the nations capital DC with a bigger CSA GDP than Chicago itself, better museums, better subways, (most of the things Chicago touts to do well, DC actually does a lil bit better) the whole 9 yards just a smaller population and minus the skyline...then you also have Boston above any other midwest city outside of Chicago also. There is nothing in the midwest like the East Coast area.
It's a big difference. I know exactly what this guy is talking about, I think he is just mad now b/c people aren't getting the diff so being over the top.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 03-20-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 04:27 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
I much prefer the NYC vs. SF Bay Area threads where...

San Francisco = Manhattan

Oakland = Brooklyn

San Jose = Queens

Richmond = Bronx

Daly City = Staten Island

Never mind that all of those cities added up is still smaller than Brooklyn. It's a fun comparison nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City