Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are there any legitimately and wholly terrible cities??
No 24 21.62%
Gary 11 9.91%
East St. Louis 18 16.22%
Flint 8 7.21%
Camden 13 11.71%
Other 8 7.21%
Atlanta (sorry, but i havent taken a shot at the ATL lately) 29 26.13%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
You're a real idiot.....you know every toll from NC is going to vote Atlanta...
Still personal attacking, YOU are the one making Atlanta look bad.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:44 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
I just do not understand why so many people have so much hatred for the ATL, I guess it is out of jealousy. It is an awesome to to live, visit, great restaurants, neighborhoods, scenery, tons going on all the time, the Falcons are 10-2,,,lol
I'm guessing it's:
1. Bitterness over the massive shifts of population from north to south.
2. Frustration over the idea that anyone could express satisfaction with living in a city not made in the exact image of theirs.
3. Limited experience and imagination.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:55 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Still personal attacking, YOU are the one making Atlanta look bad.......

Hardly,,,,

Old 12-06-2010, 08:16 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default No, there aren't

I voted "no." I don't think a city should automatically be slammed because it has a large black population.

Better to go after places that are far worse, podunk America. These are places that voted for the reelection of Dubya, voted for McCain, and are frequently visited by that airhead you betcha dingbat Palin.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:36 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I voted "no." I don't think a city should automatically be slammed because it has a large black population.

Better to go after places that are far worse, podunk America. These are places that voted for the reelection of Dubya, voted for McCain, and are frequently visited by that airhead you betcha dingbat Palin.
Exactly!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:03 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm guessing it's:
1. Bitterness over the massive shifts of population from north to south.
2. Frustration over the idea that anyone could express satisfaction with living in a city not made in the exact image of theirs.
3. Limited experience and imagination.

I think Atlanta is just fine and had no business in this poll (nor was the poll a good idea in the first place or topic for that mater) but this post is equally uninformed - this alludes to the ATL boosters which to me are really the only think about the ATL that bugs me at any level.

Sadly today like my home town and many others we probably need to focus more on getting the economy jump started more than anything else

Old 12-06-2010, 10:30 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
haha! I think it's hilarious the randomness of Atlanta being on the poll with cities like Gary, Flint, E. St. Louis, and Camden, yet many people are taking this so seriously when it's obviously a joke. The reason Atlanta is dominating the vote is because non-Georgians see the poll, laugh and automatically get that it's a joke, so they play along and vote for the city. You could have have plugged in LA, Phoenix, Houston, etc. and gotten the same result. It's really nothing to get worked up about. Just laugh at the ridiculousness of it all move on with your life.

The only city I've found to have no redeemable qualities is Lubbock, Texas.

Last edited by wpmeads; 12-06-2010 at 10:59 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 10:34 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Please; there was nothing 'innocent' about it. What a bore.

lmao there's the ATL posters like you and brent6969 that make me feel the need to take shots at ATL every so often. then there's ATL posters like Akhen. (and a bunch of others) that make me regret doing it after.

there's nothing wrong with your city. there's just something wrong with a couple of you guys.

outside of this forum, I would never criticize ATL--and I'm sure many of the 'ATL haters' on here wouldn't either. a few of you just make it absolutely necessary.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:37 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
haha! I think it's hilarious the randomness of Atlanta being on the poll with cities like Gary, Flint, E. St. Louis, and Camden, yet people so many people are taking this so seriously when it's obviously a joke. The reason Atlanta is dominating the vote is because non-Georgians see the poll, laugh and automatically get that it's a joke, so they play along and vote for the city. You could have have plugged in LA, Phoenix, Houston, etc. and gotten the same result. It's really nothing to get worked up about. Just laugh at the ridiculousness of it all move on with your life.

The only city I've found to have no redeemable qualities is Lubbock, Texas.

yup. and i didn't think about that when I added it in. i wanted to **** off people like LoveinDecatur and brent6969. unfortunately, it ended up ruining the poll lol. that's my own fault though.

lubbock texas seems pretty expendable.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:39 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
I'm going to say there are not any places that are wholly terrible. I think that every city finds its place, even if it is different than its heyday. One thing that seems to stand in the way of a city fixing its image and repairing its society is getting away from its original reputation and figuring out its truly sustainable path. In other words, Gary, Flint, Camden, etc. will prop themselves up in the future and will establish themselves in the 21st century, even if it doesn't reflect 1950.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
PS--

please dont click atlanta. completely ignore that option. i have been saying a lot of good things about ATL lately, and it was starting to make me feel sick.
Based on the replies in this thread, I guess joking around and then telling people you're really just joking around doesn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City