Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are there any legitimately and wholly terrible cities??
No 24 21.62%
Gary 11 9.91%
East St. Louis 18 16.22%
Flint 8 7.21%
Camden 13 11.71%
Other 8 7.21%
Atlanta (sorry, but i havent taken a shot at the ATL lately) 29 26.13%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 01:21 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,285 times

Advertisements

Given the negative premise of this thread, it will probably get deleted--which is fine, but i'll try anyway. Also, it has probably been done before, if it has just let me know. The search function does not apply to me, sorry.

Is there any city in America that simply has NO real redeeming/desirable quality? That is to say, there's absolutely no rational reason for living there unless by necessity (i.e. job/money/family/whatever).

I thought of this question as I began to notice that there are a few cities in America that CD'ers seem to have no problem making--or accepting--generalizations/criticisms about. I have listed the usual suspects in the poll.

I find it hard to believe that there are any TRULY and COMPREHENSIVELY expendable, irredeemable, condemned, hell-holes. Initially, I thought East St. Louis would fit the bill, but I changed my mind on the grounds of its location--its proximity to other places (that are desirable in some regard).

Maybe this thread can actually be a positive one. It FORCES us to look for the good in the places we (or at least a lot of us, myself included) have openly condemned.

Include pictures if you want. I'd love to see images of these places--both good and bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 01:26 AM

PS--

please dont click atlanta. completely ignore that option. i have been saying a lot of good things about ATL lately, and it was starting to make me feel sick.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:31 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
please dont click atlanta. completely ignore that option. i have been saying a lot of good things about ATL lately, and it was starting to make me feel sick.
I don't think you should feel bad for saying good things about Atlanta. It has lots or great qualities, and I don't think cities in general should get thrashed for anything.

For your thread, I haven't been to one city that I felt was useless to American society. But I haven't traveled everywhere and seen every type of city, so I'll wait until I can do that. I'm going to be honest, I try to see the positive to everything and try not to bash but lately I have been getting really ticked off by hicks & hippies. Both of them, and I cannot stand them, I would rather live in a warzone than a city full of either one of those. So if there is a city completely determined by either of those, that would be my absolute choice.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:32 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
[quote=5ive8ight5ive;16888214]
Initially, I thought East St. Louis would fit the bill, but I changed my mind on the grounds of its location--its proximity to other places (that are desirable in some regard).
quote]

Gary, IN is extremely close to Chicago, which is considered a highly desirable place to live by many people. Doesn't change the fact that Gary is still an extremely UN-desirable place to live.

I don't think saying cities will NEVER improve is accurate. Many areas once considered to be ghettos have gentrified and are now very sought-after places to live. So much depends on the competency of the local government, the efficacy of the local economy (not too great nowadays), and several other factors. Who knows what the future will be for these areas.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:37 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
I don't think there are any "legitimately and wholly terrible cities" in the U.S. There are terribly poor and deprived cities however that have fallen on hard times for no fault of their own. The list of cities the OP suggests are perhaps suffering economic problems but that doesn't mean they are terrible. Why is Atlanta even on the list?

Old 12-05-2010, 01:48 AM

The thread was, more than anything, was made as a means of shedding light on some of the positives in these cities. You don't have to look to hard to see how often we completely tear these cities apart here on CD (like i said, this includes myself). And if there are some truly awful cities, then I'd like to know so I can laugh at them.

Californio-- I already said why. ignore it. my subconscious did it.
bluefox-- how close is Gary to CHI town? if very close, then that certainly would be a SIGNIFICANT redeeming quality.

Danny-- agree. inbred people scare me more than bullets do. id take a ghetto over a poverty-stricken hick town ANY DAY.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:29 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
The thread was, more than anything, was made as a means of shedding light on some of the positives in these cities. You don't have to look to hard to see how often we completely tear these cities apart here on CD (like i said, this includes myself). And if there are some truly awful cities, then I'd like to know so I can laugh at them.

Californio-- I already said why. ignore it. my subconscious did it.
bluefox-- how close is Gary to CHI town? if very close, then that certainly would be a SIGNIFICANT redeeming quality.

Danny-- agree. inbred people scare me more than bullets do. id take a ghetto over a poverty-stricken hick town ANY DAY.

The distance from downtown Gary to Chicago's South Loop is around 30 miles (as close or closer to downtown than many of Chicago's more affluent burbs like Naperville, Lake Forest, etc) and many areas of Gary are much closer. There have been many discussions on city-data about whether or not the eastward expansion of the Chicago metro area will have any positive effect on Gary. As of yet, there have been no notable improvements, other than maybe the Miller Beach area of Gary.

Last edited by Bluefox; 12-05-2010 at 02:44 AM..

Old 12-05-2010, 02:57 AM

93,233 posts, read 123,842,121 times
In Flint, it's Southside, I believe is still pretty nice and well maintained. It's Northside has the notorious rep. Camden's Riverfront has improved a lot, supposedly. In East St. Louis, I believe there are some decent outer city neighborhoods closer to Washington Park.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:45 AM

178 posts, read 499,331 times
Almost anywhere in Upstate New York and the Rust Belt. Horrible, Ugly, Depressing towns like Buffalo and Rochester. If that 585 in your username is your area code, how could anyone from such a bland, dirty place like Rochester have problem with ATL?

Old 12-05-2010, 06:53 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Quote:
PS--

You're a real idiot.....you know every toll from NC is going to vote Atlanta...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City