Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 09:35 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,860,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
I'm from San Diego and I would rather live in Phoenix.
Not taking anything from Diego but Phoenix is alive. There's something about this place. The energy, synergy, the growth , the beauty, the Senoran desert, the cloudless sky, the clear black night sky.....this place is amazing.
When I came to Arizona to live I understood why people choose to retire and live the remainder of their lives here.
San Diego minus the beach looks and feels like any city USA.
Arizona on the other hand is different than any city USA. An Oasis in the middle of the desert.
Not that metro Phoenix doesn't have some great areas like Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler and Gilbert but

The city of Phoenix itself though is mainly a dump. They have some nice areas like Arcadia and Ahwatukee but a majority of the city itself is really seedy, poverty-ridden with huge social issues.

Downtown Phoenix and adjacent neighborhoods are basically blighted compared to San Diego. San Diego has beautiful, lively neighborhoods adjacent to it's downtown, while a majority of Phoenix neighborhoods adjacent to it's downtown are used tire lots, run-down storage and vacant lots.

They do have the North Central corridor but that is some old office buildings with some chain retail. San Diego has hundreds of unique local mom and pop stores, while North Central in Phoenix has McDonalds, Panera and Walgreens.

The poverty of Phoenix is terrible compared to San Diego. Especially, the childhood poverty it's like poor people think it's a cultural obligation to have multiple children in Phoenix rather then being responsible like San Diego.

Phoenix has large swaths of it like Maryvale and South Mountain that have gone down-hill to the point that they some of the worst neighborhoods in the west.

The rough areas of San Diego are like maryberry compared to a majority of the city of Phoenix.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 09-12-2016 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 10:03 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Not that metro Phoenix doesn't have some great areas like Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler and Gilbert but

The city of Phoenix itself though is mainly a dump. They have some nice areas like Arcadia and Ahwatukee but a majority of the city itself is really seedy, poverty-ridden with huge social issues.

Downtown Phoenix and adjacent neighborhoods are basically blighted compared to San Diego. San Diego has beautiful, lively neighborhoods adjacent to it's downtown, while a majority of Phoenix neighborhoods adjacent to it's downtown are used tire lots, run-down storage and vacant lots.

They do have the North Central corridor but that is some old office buildings with some chain retail. San Diego has hundreds of unique local mom and pop stores, while North Central in Phoenix has McDonalds, Panera and Walgreens.

The poverty of Phoenix is terrible compared to San Diego. Especially, the childhood poverty it's like poor people think it's a cultural obligation to have multiple children in Phoenix rather then being responsible like San Diego.

Phoenix has large swaths of it like Maryvale and South Mountain that have gone down-hill to the point that they some of the worst neighborhoods in the west.

The rough areas of San Diego are like maryberry compared to a majority of the city of Phoenix.
I'd say thats a pretty fair assessment. Coming from Chicagoland, I found Phoenix to be an upgrade in terms of "ghettoness". lol Sure, most of Chicago is a rundown ghetto dump that makes Maryvale look like Beverly Hills, but the nice areas of Chicago are quite beautful. Overall Phoenix isnt very attractive, I agree. Its mostly rundown and full of poverty, bums, and tweekers. But I dont feel unsafe here like I did getting lost in Chicago. Would I venture around PHX at night? Probably not, but in the daytime I dont feel there's any issue at all. Its far more laid back than Chicago, and much quieter, too.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:44 AM

594 posts, read 698,304 times
Lol, We in the great state of Arizona appreciate your ringing endorsements.
And that my friend is the beauty of Phoenix. The rising PHOENIX.
When people bash NewYork you rarely see N.Y. residents respond back because it's....NewYork. Same with Los Angeles because it's.....L.A.
Looks like no one from Phoenix is addressing the hate on this thread because, well.......it's..........

Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 PM

872 posts, read 999,037 times
SD city population is a little less than Phx city population

SD metro is about 2 mill less than Phoenix metro

Grass is always greener on the other side type of scenario

I've met Californians here in AZ who say it's just too expensive for good quality living. Unless you are in the navy or high tech, it's tough to make enough to save and live comfortable living WITHIN the city limits.

I've met Arizonans who say they are sick of the heat and want a real city with culture and more attractions, etc.

I think anywhere can be nice if you have a plan and have money saved up so you aren't stuck in a bad situation and you want to go back home. The ocean and the weather is nice in SD but not worth it when you are living in a crappy situation and have no $$ to enjoy things

Old 06-24-2017, 06:31 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City