Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Houston, Miami, & New Orleans record the absolute worst temperatures when it comes to heat. All of them feel like fire. I guess that's what happens when its humid subtropical climate in these areas. Thank god these places aren't far away from the coasts.

Imagine if Dallas was as humid (its not) as Houston, Miami, or New Orleans.
Dallas can get pretty humid too, but most Summers its a dry heat where that North Texas prairie grasses turn hay yellow (grass fires are notorious in North Texas) & you can cook an egg on the pavement...literally it gets THAT scorching hot. You don't see that much or at all in Houston where grass fires are very rare because of the humid summer nights along the Gulf Coast. Also Dallas area cities will have water droughts & will actually fine you with a ticket if they see you using sprinklers to water your lawn.

It really just depends & can fluctuate from month to month & year to year in Dallas where Houston is just flat out humid during the summer months even though its average day time high temps are 5-10 degrees lower than Dallas'.

Winter in Houston is significantly less severe than Dallas, generally is on average 5-10 degrees WARMER. Houston rarely gets ice or snow unlike Dallas. Houston winter weather is just cold & rainy usually or it can be 80 degrees shorts weather as I said it really depends & this is Texas after all. Weather can change in an instant here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 09:25 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas can get pretty humid too, but most Summers its a dry heat where that North Texas prairie grasses turn hay yellow (grass fires are notorious in North Texas) & you can cook an egg on the pavement...literally it gets THAT scorching hot. You don't see that much or at all in Houston where grass fires are very rare because of the humid summer nights along the Gulf Coast. Also Dallas area cities will have water droughts & will actually fine you with a ticket if they see you using sprinklers to water your lawn.

It really just depends & can fluctuate from month to month & year to year in Dallas where Houston is just flat out humid during the summer months even though its average day time high temps are 5-10 degrees lower than Dallas'.

Winter in Houston is significantly less severe than Dallas, generally is on average 5-10 degrees WARMER. Houston rarely gets ice or snow unlike Dallas. Houston winter weather is just cold & rainy usually or it can be 80 degrees shorts weather as I said it really depends & this is Texas after all. Weather can change in an instant here.
When I lived in Dallas, it felt the same to me as Houston does. But when I would walk around during the day in Dallas it felt more unbearable in terms of heat and I used to get dehydrated faster there, where as in Houston it would mostly feel sticky, but the heat wasn't all that much of a both as much as the humidity was.

Overall, the weather hasn't ever bothered me in either place before. I remember this summer in Chicago, the day I got there and for the next one week, it was pretty freakin hot. Felt the same to me just less humid. But the difference "felt" marginal at best.

I do agree though, Houston's winter weathers are glorious. I wouldn't have it any other way to be frank.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Who told you winter in Houston is cold? I've been here all my life and 40 degrees still isn't cold when the sun is shining high. It flips so much you can barely say cold when it's 40 Monday and 65 and sunny near warm/hot Tuesday by noon.

Rain and cool yes but never really cold.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:30 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes on the Mid Atlantic there are usually one or two really oppressive weeks outside of that it is bearable

On DFW, the worst weather i ever felt was 110 in Ft Worth with really high humidity, it was awful
I don't know about Philadelphia. But DC's is longer than two oppressive weeks. It can last for a month if it may.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:48 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
"I'm trying to find a new place to live. I hate warm weather...in fact if I could live in an igloo, I would. I need to live near water. Due to a chemical imbalance if I'm further than 20 miles from a large body of salt water, I will literally die. I'm a black ma----"
"ATLANTA"
lol that was funny

Old 12-08-2010, 11:54 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Houston, Miami, & New Orleans record the absolute worst temperatures when it comes to heat. All of them feel like fire. I guess that's what happens when its humid subtropical climate in these areas. Thank god these places aren't far away from the coasts.

Imagine if Dallas was as humid (its not) as Houston, Miami, or New Orleans.
ummm, evidently neither of you all have heard of san antonio, texas

Old 12-08-2010, 12:22 PM

56 posts, read 52,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
And for who said Atlanta, thanks but no thanks. Emory is a great school but honestly, despite being black I have no desire to go to Atlanta because I've been and I don't like it so I've saving that application fee and not even applying there.
What did you dislike about Atlanta ? I wouldn't want to be anywhere around too many African Americans either out of preference.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:32 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I love how regardless of a person's criteria (cold weather, great mass transit)...if they say they're black, then they instantly have to go to Atlanta.

"I'm trying to find a new place to live. I hate warm weather...in fact if I could live in an igloo, I would. I need to live near water. Due to a chemical imbalance if I'm further than 20 miles from a large body of salt water, I will literally die. I'm a black ma----"
"ATLANTA"
I know that's real!

Old 12-08-2010, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 6,888 times
I live in Texas as well and get tired of the heat. I have also lived in Minneapolis, MN. It is an awesome place to live. Lakes, parks, city transit, you name it they have it. Very cold winters, but you said you can handle that.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:46 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
When I lived in Dallas, it felt the same to me as Houston does. But when I would walk around during the day in Dallas it felt more unbearable in terms of heat and I used to get dehydrated faster there, where as in Houston it would mostly feel sticky, but the heat wasn't all that much of a both as much as the humidity was.
yeah me too. I get dehydrated real quick.

Quote:
Overall, the weather hasn't ever bothered me in either place before. I remember this summer in Chicago, the day I got there and for the next one week, it was pretty freakin hot. Felt the same to me just less humid. But the difference "felt" marginal at best.

I do agree though, Houston's winter weathers are glorious. I wouldn't have it any other way to be frank.
ours spring and fall weather is pretty good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
ummm, evidently neither of you all have heard of san antonio, texas
yeah you are right. Just as hot, just as humid, not as big on central air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City