Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia vs San Jose
Philadelphia 100 74.63%
San Jose 34 25.37%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:03 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times

Advertisements

Great pictures of SJ for sure. Nice videos KP.

Here is another. An excellent trailer for the independent movie Rittenhouse Square.

Rittenhouse Square is annually rated as one of the nations best urban spaces. Its the crown jewel of Center City Philly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjJHjnjgx5A

Old 12-11-2010, 08:05 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
if it's like this, then I'll move there
LOL! Seriously? You're that flexible to just getting up and moving without a second thought of where you live now?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:11 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
durf is comedy.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:28 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,069 times
Maybe I didn't see Philly in that light. If it's that good as I see in the video, then it's a great place, and I would be flexible to move. I'll check it out again next year when the weather isn't too hot and see if it is like on the video. I'll be more patient, and I won't bash Philly anymore for now. I'm giving it a second chance. Remember, when I was there, it was hot and I was there for one day only as I ventured down from New York City. I've also been there back in the 70's when it was a pit. I'll give it another chance.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:30 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,069 times
Danny, I don't live in San Jose. I just recently visited the city.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:20 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
Maybe I didn't see Philly in that light. If it's that good as I see in the video, then it's a great place, and I would be flexible to move. I'll check it out again next year when the weather isn't too hot and see if it is like on the video. I'll be more patient, and I won't bash Philly anymore for now. I'm giving it a second chance. Remember, when I was there, it was hot and I was there for one day only as I ventured down from New York City. I've also been there back in the 70's when it was a pit. I'll give it another chance.
Uhhhhhhhhh ... Durf, I think your computer's been hacked!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:04 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
KidPhilly, great shots of Walnut St. Where was this vitality when I on Walnut St. last summer? If it were like this, it would change everything! Ok, I'll give Philly another chance next summer. I guess I went there when it was 94 degrees, and it was too hot for Phillies. I'll give benefit of doubt next year. It'd better be like this on Walnut St. video when I get there. I was impressed that there were alot of decent women on the video. I'll go to New York and Philly. I'll make sure to go to Philly when it's only in 80's, not 90's. My blogging on Philly is on hold until after I visit Philly again. If it's like this, then I'll move there, especially S. Philly. I'm hoping for the best. Great job, KidPhilly, you won me out for now.
The weather during a person's visit to a city can certainly have an impact. I visited NYC for the first time in my life over the Labor Day weekend and it was hotter [and humid] than LA but we didn't let it interfere in our non-stop itinerary even though it was in the 90's. In-fact, Yankee stadium felt great on a warm evening [they slaughtered the Oakland A]. But the point that the climate in San Jose is so benign that outdoor activities are rarely interrupted by the weather has to be factored into the comparison with Philadelphia.

But looking at the videos\ photos of Philly proves that it's downtown and overall sense of city is superior to San Jose. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, San Jose is better compared to cities like Portland, Austin, San Antonio, Charlotte and maybe Baltimore.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:24 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyy View Post
I know most of the Bay Area very well, but the only arguements I've seen for San Jose from certain posters is its allegedly superior scenery and it's access to hiking.... *yawn*

I'm curious as to what else makes it a better city than Philadelphia? Unfortunately, San Jose can't win this one alone based on (allegedly) more beautiful natural scenery.
Though you'll be unimpressed, I'll bite anyway in SJ's favor:
  1. higher per-capita income
  2. much safer: has been safest big city in USA several times
  3. more-livable weather: much lower temps and humidity in summer, higher temps in winter
  4. healthier lifestyle
  5. done-in-a-day access to both world class surfing- the coast- and world-class skiing- the Sierras
For #2, see City Crime Rankings by Population Group . I'm going to be totally astonished when the high level of danger for those living in Philly is downplayed and marginalized. Totally unpredictable.

For #3, the knee jerk response will be "but we have 4 seasons". Though I've never been to Philly, I can infer that mid-90's temps with high humidity in the summer is not comfortable unless you like sweating profusely and that frigid temps in the winter encourage most people to stay indoors. Four seasons = half the year is either extremely hot or cold. Why do you guys think so many people from NY/NJ/PA move to LA?

For #4, see Philadelphia gets healthy slice of anti-obesity funds | Philadelphia Business Journal Then please downplay and marginalize the contents of the article. Then someone can give me another lecture about the foods Philly has originated, and no one will correlate that and the link I posted.

For #5, yes, SJ is going to continue to emphasize what a person can do outside of the city because there is more to do here than in Philly. Can you guys go surfing all year round? To some high-altitude mountains and back without even leaving your state?

That all this has fallen under the category of "the countryside" or
"scenery" shows the short-sightedness of many and the self-absorption of urbanites who presume there's "nothing to do" anywhere but in the cities they live in.

In summary, San Jose's safer streets, climate conducive to year-round outdoor athletic activity and proximity to surf & ski all coincide to produce a healthier- read, far less obese- population, despite the fact that we drive almost everywhere we go.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:41 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Though you'll be unimpressed, I'll bite anyway in SJ's favor:
  1. higher per-capita income
  2. much safer: has been safest big city in USA several times
  3. more-livable weather: much lower temps and humidity in summer, higher temps in winter
  4. healthier lifestyle
  5. done-in-a-day access to both world class surfing- the coast- and world-class skiing- the Sierras
For #2, see City Crime Rankings by Population Group . I'm going to be totally astonished when the high level of danger for those living in Philly is downplayed and marginalized. Totally unpredictable.

For #3, the knee jerk response will be "but we have 4 seasons". Though I've never been to Philly, I can infer that mid-90's temps with high humidity in the summer is not comfortable unless you like sweating profusely and that frigid temps in the winter encourage most people to stay indoors. Four seasons = half the year is either extremely hot or cold. Why do you guys think so many people from NY/NJ/PA move to LA?

For #4, see Philadelphia gets healthy slice of anti-obesity funds | Philadelphia Business Journal Then please downplay and marginalize the contents of the article. Then someone can give me another lecture about the foods Philly has originated, and no one will correlate that and the link I posted.

For #5, yes, SJ is going to continue to emphasize what a person can do outside of the city because there is more to do here than in Philly. Can you guys go surfing all year round? To some high-altitude mountains and back without even leaving your state?

That all this has fallen under the category of "the countryside" or
"scenery" shows the short-sightedness of many and the self-absorption of urbanites who presume there's "nothing to do" anywhere but in the cities they live in.

In summary, San Jose's safer streets, climate conducive to year-round outdoor athletic activity and proximity to surf & ski all coincide to produce a healthier- read, far less obese- population, despite the fact that we drive almost everywhere we go.
I like constant variations in weather. I like the rain, the snow, and the four seasons. It gives life a certain rhythm.

Its sounds like the weather is like everything else in San Jose, dull and monotonous.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD82jnptwm4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City