Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philadelphia vs San Jose
Philadelphia 100 74.63%
San Jose 34 25.37%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times

Advertisements

It's fine with the tighter rules on hooking and obstruction, but it was pretty bad in 2004 with teams like the Flames clutching and grabbing all the time. I think 4-on-4 can be entertaining but it's a little too back and forth because you can't position defencemen on both points so possession in the other team's end fizzles too quickly.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,069 times
Rainrock, have you been to Santa Cruz and Boulder? Lots of retail store/restaurants and foot traffic. They're way more vibrant than Philly. The only area Philly has close to matching the vibrancy of those cities is South St. That's it. Retail option are substantially less in South St. and Center City than Santa Cruz and Boulder, stores like Gap, Banana Republic, Victoria Secrets, and tons of locally owned stores and restaurants. You should check them out.

I'll make it simple. Santa Cruz and Boulder have continual flow of retail activity with almost no vacant storefronts on several streets. Philly, on the other hand, especially Center City, is plagued with vacant storefronts and relatively weak retail scene despite some upscale retailers like H & M, Apple, Louis Vitton and Macy's. I know that Target is there, too. Retail scene in those two cities are very strong that warrant people strolling and shopping. Philly needs to work on that. Try to recapture many of the retailers in King of Prussia to make Philly an exciting shopping destination like Santa Cruz and Boulder. Denver, by the way, is lively, more so than Philly. You can ask anyone.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 PM

758 posts, read 1,961,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Rainrock, have you been to Santa Cruz and Boulder?
Yes, clearly Santa Cruz and Boulder are more vibrant than Center City Philly.

Just like you said that San Jose was more vibrant than Manhattan.

I'm sure next up, Gila Bend, Arizona is more vibrant than Tokyo.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:48 PM

Manhattan248, I never said San Jose is more vibrant than Manhattan. However, I said that San Jose's downtown alone is a better downtown scene than Manhattan since Manhattan doesn't have much of downtown.

Rainrock, actually, Boise has the best downtown of all the U.S. cities I've been to since it's safe, clean, compact, vibrant, no rift-rafts, and it's frequented by families and young teanagers hanging out and rollerblading. To make it simple: if all the young girls and teanagers were to come to Philly from King of Prussia and the well-to do outlying areas, then it'd be like downtown Boise. Everyone from all over metro Boise hang out downtown that's something I don't in many big U.S. cities. Downtown Boise offers everything from Co-up grocery store to cool independent bookstores with cafes with internet hookups. A line of cool shops and restaurants on 8th Ave with tons of cool bars on Main st. Just about everything you can find in a downtown area from museums, theaters, riverpark(very nice trail along the park), arena, library, city hall, pedestrian prominade, entertainment complex with shops called BoDo and many other urban options. It's a heck of a great downtown and convenient with mainly suburban and middle class people populating downtown. Alot of cool high tech nerds hang out by the coffee houses in downtown Boise. It's a really cool downtown. I've always said in my previous posts that Boise has the best downtown around. Alot of cool looking chics from 18 to 45 years of age are fixture there. Very friendly! Go check it out!

Downtown Portland has better retail scene than Philly's Center city with Macy's and Nordstrom. Pioneer shopping mall is mostly full, unlike the Liberty Place Galleria in Philly. The street scene is stronger or more vibrant than most downtowns including Philly's Center City, but I don't care that much because of all those pandhandlers at every corner pestering pedestrians. Dt. Boise has no homeless people hanging downtown, just young cute girls rollerblading, strolling and walking the streets. One noted thing: not too many highrises. It has probably only 25 highrises in downtown. That's fine since the downtown is so happening.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:42 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Rainrock, have you been to Santa Cruz and Boulder? Lots of retail store/restaurants and foot traffic.They have a Target and Applebees. They're way more vibrant than Philly.
Tell me about your childhood.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:56 PM

My childhood was fun and wonderful! Thanks for asking.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:37 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,538 times
Quote:
My childhood was fun and wonderful! Thanks for asking.
Apparently you arent too far removed judging by your posts.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
I'll be honest, I haven't been to Philly, but I'll speak for SJ anyway.

I'm going to include not only SJ but the Silicon Valley as well as former is obviously a major part of the latter.

I'm going to include Palo Alto though not much.

Countryside-
SJ.
It's low-lying mountains offer plenty of hiking, mountain biking and road biking opportunities with some bouldering; Henry Coe State Park offers a remote/backcountry backpacking experience; the Santa Cruz mountain's redwood forests only within one hour of DTSJ and closer for southwestern SJ. No redwood forests in PA.

Beaches-
SJ.
The coast is not only accessible but is so with scenic drive to both Santa Cruz and Monterey/Carmel as you head through the hills to get there. No idea what the surfing is like near Philly though I've never heard it compared to Santa Cruz.

Local cuisine-
SJ.
Can't speak that much for this though I doubt Philly has the Asian and Latino dining along with the Afghan and Persian restaurants in neighboring Sunnyvale and Fremont. Likely only SF or LA can match SJ in those respects. I've had Philly Cheesesteaks before and they seemed like a gloriifed sandwiches to me; it's just working class food. As for Philly's upper end dining, does it offer the ethnic/cultural variety that SJ offers? I will assume that it doesn't.

Infrastructure/Transportation-
Probably Philly
SJ is known as one of the top ten worst traffic areas in the US.

Economy-
SJ.
People move from all over the US and all over the world to work in SJ, for which SJ is known. Can the same be said for Philly?

Tourism-
Philly.

Architecture-
Philly.
Much of SJ's historic architecture has been demolished in favor of ugly new buildings, i.e. "redevelopment" or was lost to neglect as with the recent Donner Party house in DTSJ.

Higher EDU-
??
For what? SJSU is known was a computer science/engineering school, not a research institution, but Stanford is and is part of the Silicon Valley, as is SJ, which links the two in such a way that they can't be wholly separated from each other.

Shopping-
??
It's all mall and big brand shopping in SJ with the best mall literally across the street from San Jose's northwest border and a higher-end one in Stanford Shopping Center. I won't give this to Philly since I don't know what it has.

Sports-
Philly.
Not SJ. Not right now, anyway.

Film/music/media-
NA.
Too vague of a criterion. Yes, movies have been filmed in Philadelphia. Is that the measure?

Nightlife-
NA.
Never been into this.

Family friendly-
SJ.
SJ has been one of the safest cities in the US for some time now, often #1. Where does Philly rank?

Housing Stock-
SJ.
Now that the bubble has burst and SJ's real estate prices have gone back to "normal" levels, SJ is a good place to invest as high tech and the brainpower it attracts will maintain the value of housing here. What industry is Philly known for? What are its prospects?

Name recognition/Prestige-
SJ.
It's synonymous with the Silicon Valley, a region that has done nothing but change the world. I know Philly as a place of historical significant but not contemporary significance.

Overall-
SJ.

My perception of Philadelphia is a city of great historical significance and is a great place to see as such- maybe a place that every American should see in their lifetime. However, it's not a place that changes the world with its innovative ideas and its free-thinking, risk-taking culture which is exactly what SJ and the SV that it heavily constitutes is and will be for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by sjnative; 12-09-2010 at 08:27 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 09:13 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Way to go bloggers and nice showing of ignorancy. PHilly has better weather, crime, people, industry and everything than San Jose and even shopping even though San Jose has Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdale, Neimus Marcus(Stanford Mall) and Santana Row. Nice piece of work. Philly is the most cosmopolitan, world class and international city in the country. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Keep it up!
Wilkes-Barre has those same stores, except I never heard of Santana Row.....but I'll vote for Philadelphia over San Jose overall. and give San Jose a tie with Wilkes-Barre for shopping..

Santana Row - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wyoming Valley Mall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-09-2010, 10:25 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
I'll be honest, I haven't been to Philly, but I'll speak for SJ anyway.

I'm going to include not only SJ but the Silicon Valley as well as former is obviously a major part of the latter.

I'm going to include Palo Alto though not much.

Countryside-
SJ.
It's low-lying mountains offer plenty of hiking, mountain biking and road biking opportunities with some bouldering; Henry Coe State Park offers a remote/backcountry backpacking experience; the Santa Cruz mountain's redwood forests only within one hour of DTSJ and closer for southwestern SJ. No redwood forests in PA.

Beaches-
SJ.
The coast is not only accessible but is so with scenic drive to both Santa Cruz and Monterey/Carmel as you head through the hills to get there. No idea what the surfing is like near Philly though I've never heard it compared to Santa Cruz.

Local cuisine-
SJ.
Can't speak that much for this though I doubt Philly has the Asian and Latino dining along with the Afghan and Persian restaurants in neighboring Sunnyvale and Fremont. Likely only SF or LA can match SJ in those respects. I've had Philly Cheesesteaks before and they seemed like a gloriifed sandwiches to me; it's just working class food. As for Philly's upper end dining, does it offer the ethnic/cultural variety that SJ offers? I will assume that it doesn't.

Infrastructure/Transportation-
Probably Philly
SJ is known as one of the top ten worst traffic areas in the US.

Economy-
SJ.
People move from all over the US and all over the world to work in SJ, for which SJ is known. Can the same be said for Philly?

Tourism-
Philly.

Architecture-
Philly.
Much of SJ's historic architecture has been demolished in favor of ugly new buildings, i.e. "redevelopment" or was lost to neglect as with the recent Donner Party house in DTSJ.

Higher EDU-
??
For what? SJSU is known was a computer science/engineering school, not a research institution, but Stanford is and is part of the Silicon Valley, as is SJ, which links the two in such a way that they can't be wholly separated from each other.

Shopping-
??
It's all mall and big brand shopping in SJ with the best mall literally across the street from San Jose's northwest border and a higher-end one in Stanford Shopping Center. I won't give this to Philly since I don't know what it has.

Sports-
Philly.
Not SJ. Not right now, anyway.

Film/music/media-
NA.
Too vague of a criterion. Yes, movies have been filmed in Philadelphia. Is that the measure?

Nightlife-
NA.
Never been into this.

Family friendly-
SJ.
SJ has been one of the safest cities in the US for some time now, often #1. Where does Philly rank?

Housing Stock-
SJ.
Now that the bubble has burst and SJ's real estate prices have gone back to "normal" levels, SJ is a good place to invest as high tech and the brainpower it attracts will maintain the value of housing here. What industry is Philly known for? What are its prospects?

Name recognition/Prestige-
SJ.
It's synonymous with the Silicon Valley, a region that has done nothing but change the world. I know Philly as a place of historical significant but not contemporary significance.

Overall-
SJ.

My perception of Philadelphia is a city of great historical significance and is a great place to see as such- maybe a place that every American should see in their lifetime. However, it's not a place that changes the world with its innovative ideas and its free-thinking, risk-taking culture which is exactly what SJ and the SV that it heavily constitutes is and will be for the foreseeable future.
Since you admittedly know nothing about Philly, I will inform you.

Country side- I don't know? SJ could be better? but it sounds like you assume Philly is surrounded by some flat prairie or barren desert. For hiking and all that, the Poconos does just fine, and for unique forests there is the pine barrens.

Beaches- Nobody in the NE goes to the shore for surfing. The Jersey Shore is a cultural beach tradition between Philly/Jersey/NYC. It is the most iconic summer beach getaway in the nation.

Local cusine- Sure the west coast probably does asian better, considering the significantly higher percentage of asians in the population, but the true test of Local cusine is not cooking food some other country is known for. It's creating your own uniqe regional taste. Philly invented the Cheesteak, the Stromboli, and popularized water ice, scrapple, and soft pretzels. Philly has a unique taste. What foods did San Jose create or popularize? What foods are San Jose known for? If you want the best afghan food in the world, go to afghanistan. What food does San Jose do better than anywhere else in the world?

Higher Education- Since you wanna be loose about the areas you include, Princeton trumps anything in California.

Shopping- You typed "the best mall literally across the street from San Jose's northwest border " what are you basing that off of? Have you ever heard of King of Prussia(even though thats not really my thing).

Housing stock- For some reason you bring up the fact that San Jose leads the way in the tech industry, then proceed to ask what industry is Philly known for? Philly has a far more diverse economy than San Jose, and thus has it's hands in nearly everything to some degree, with Pharmacueticals being the largest and most prominent factor in Philly's economy. Back to housing stock, its subjective.

Name recognition- Go to another country(or even parts of the US) and tell people your from San Jose, and they'll ask "what country is that in?". Everybody in the US knows Philly, even if it is only because of history, but history holds weight regardless of some peoples attempts to marginalize it's significance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City