Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:53 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,774,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
DC has diversity in support of the Gov't but the central theme is not very diverse at all really
I think that some people are forgetting that DC's sole reason for existing is to be the nation's capital, so of course it will have a large concentration of federal government jobs. Anything else that it has will be extra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 06:02 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
You think you did, but youre answer was incomplete and there isnt a link to expand on it. An economy is diverse or it isnt. Whether an economy is more international or domestic is not the determinent of whether an economy is diverse or not. An economy can be very domestic and very diverse and likewise an economy can be very international and not diverse.

Ill stand by what I said. If we can see a study that has all the major metro areas ranked, I will take it seriously. The fact that Boston, San Francisco, and DFW were left out means we dont know where they would place.

By the way as a fun fact, DFW's largest sector is technological industry, not oil/energy or manufacturing.
pffff, diverse local economies are rarely talked about.

Dallas is always boosted by posters to be up there with Chicago. Was it Ladarron who said it was the most diverse in the world??

I will throw out a counter challenge. can you show me some study done by some one outside of Dallas that puts it up there with Diverse economies such as Chicago, Toronto, LA, NY. I ask you this because it is hard finding anything with Dallas on there.

Here is a link with a chart of the top 10 most diversified economies in the US by major metros:

Powered by Google Docs

1. Chicago
2. Los Angeles
3. Toronto
4. Boston
5. new York
6. Detroit
7. Houston
8. Washington
9. Philadelphia
10. Hotlanta.

Its a needle in a haystack job trying to find anything written outside of Texas that compares both cities economies

Old 12-07-2010, 06:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Here is a link with a chart of the top 10 most diversified economies in the US by major metros:

Powered by Google Docs

1. Chicago
2. Los Angeles
3. Toronto
4. Boston
5. new York
6. Detroit
7. Houston
8. Washington
9. Philadelphia
10. Hotlanta.

Its a needle in a haystack job trying to find anything written outside of Texas that compares both cities economies
I had a look at the link those are just a group of cities (not metro areas) being compared.

I digress, weve been at this too long. Dallas has a diverse economy. Thats all there is to it.

Cities ranked & rated: more than 400 ... - Google Books

Old 12-07-2010, 06:21 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,760,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I had a look at the link those are just a group of cities (not metro areas) being compared.

I digress, weve been at this too long. Dallas has a diverse economy. Thats all there is to it.

Cities ranked & rated: more than 400 ... - Google Books
Yes it has a diverse regional economy.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:29 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yes it has a diverse regional economy.
It has a diverse economy period. The arguement of whether it is as international as we'd like is a different issue.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:36 PM

13,674 posts, read 15,574,875 times
LOL...at all the people without any stats or proof in this thread about D.C. and it's economy breakdown. D.C. is taking off and is really focused on the private sector right now. I don't know how many times we have to tell you guys that. The federal government is here because we are the capital of your country. Remember! D.C. will not be looking back and is poised to become one of the best world class cities over the next decade. This is not 1990 and there isn't a crack epidemic in site to bring D.C. to it's knees or white flight of the 1960's to set D.C. back 100 years. D.C.'s population is growing big time. The city proper is projected to grow from 600,000 in 2010 to 630,000 in 2015. Most of that population increase is expected in the Center City Downtown CBD, NOMA CBD (under construction), Waterfront CBD (under construction), and Riverfront CBD (under construction). D.C. is poised to explode ladies and gentleman and 2020 is expected to see another population boom downtown.

***On a side note, the edge city Tyson's Corner CBD which is larger than every city's downtown in the U.S. but about 12 cities is poised to grow from 9,000 residents to over 100,000 residents in downtown. This growth is centered around the 4 metro station opening in 2013 in Tyson's Corner and their massive mixed use high rise developments planned all through the CBD.

***A similar development to Tyson's Corner is going on in Montgomery County that is supposed to trump Tyson's Corner. A project is planned for Bethesda to Gaithersburg up 355 rockville Pike and the metro rail red line. They are going to grid the streets from Bethesda to Gaithersburg along and close to the pike and build transient oriented developments and high rises with dense developments all the way up the pike by demolishing all the strip malls along the pike. Construction has already begun on this.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:11 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
I guess we can cross Nashville off the lists, it's actually gone reverse and un-diversified it's economy in the last few years:
Regions economist: Nashville economy not so diverse | Nashville Business Journal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Dannyy - You have any idea why NYC does rank so low? I'm assuming it's because when an industry becomes so strong (e.g. Banking), it just receives exponential growth due to proximity to others in the industry, resources, etc... I'm not sure if there's an explanation outside of this theory though.
Yeah, New York City has a major role on finance. It's large enough where all its other sectors play a massive role in the country's economy but that by percentages doesn't hide the fact that 18% of it's economy is still based off finance.

There's a saying, "the bigger they are the harder they fall". And that saying is very much true when it comes to the economies of particular cities, New York City has a labor force of at least 7-8 million people. And it's reliance on finance is very scary, which is why Washington DC is there to help it out when need be.

Finance links all the major corporations together, basically if the market for finance was down, then its affects can be felt all around the country. New York City has to work that much harder to keep itself stabilized. The Great Depression came to a start when Wall Street crashed, and its still a treacherous thought today to imagine what would happen if finance from New York City were to disappear or start depleting at a rapid rate.

I actually wonder which city is more fragile when it comes to this, New York City or Washington DC.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:54 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,825,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I guess we can cross Nashville off the lists, it's actually gone reverse and un-diversified it's economy in the last few years:
Regions economist: Nashville economy not so diverse | Nashville Business Journal

Yeah, New York City has a major role on finance. It's large enough where all its other sectors play a massive role in the country's economy but that by percentages doesn't hide the fact that 18% of it's economy is still based off finance.

There's a saying, "the bigger they are the harder they fall". And that saying is very much true when it comes to the economies of particular cities, New York City has a labor force of at least 7-8 million people. And it's reliance on finance is very scary, which is why Washington DC is there to help it out when need be.

Finance links all the major corporations together, basically if the market for finance was down, then its affects can be felt all around the country. New York City has to work that much harder to keep itself stabilized. The Great Depression came to a start when Wall Street crashed, and its still a treacherous thought today to imagine what would happen if finance from New York City were to disappear or start depleting at a rapid rate.

I actually wonder which city is more fragile when it comes to this, New York City or Washington DC.
NYC first, then DC (less jobs = less tax money = less government careers). They both get hit very hard.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:01 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
I don't think you can even compare Dallas to Boston or San Francisco when it comes to economic diversity though. Dallas may have a diverse economy, but overall it's not really that significant. San Francisco is a leader in Technology and Boston is a leader in Technology and Medicine and outside of those sectors; they are significant in other sectors. This same thing applies to Houston.

People love to criticize Houston's economy as undiverse or driven by energy and oil, but in reality it's much more than that. Medicine, Aeronautics, Manufacturing, Trade, and more (Which plays a key part in all these sectors). When you look at the bigger picture; I think Houston is in the top 10 for economic diversity.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:12 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
^ We're talking about two very different concepts of Economic Diversity though, I think.

You're saying how many industries are apparent in a market. I cant name one industry that Houston doesn't have. You're right it has them all. Including ones that Dallas-Fort Worth doesn't like Port Activity.

But what I am talking about is how much of those sectors take percentage (%) of the over all economy.
- Houston's Energy (hypothetically) can be 17% of its over all economy.

Just because Houston has other industries doesn't make its economy automatically diverse though. It needs have balanced reliance on its other industries just as much as its niche ones. Like Chicago is very balanced it has two niche industries (Mercantile Exchange & Transportation) but along with all the other industries apparent in Chicago, neither dwarf higher percentages of anything else.

In Houston its not the same case.

And Boston isn't the leader in Tech, that's Bay Area. And then Seattle. There is only one best for each niche industry. Take it or leave it situation. Bay Area is number one for Tech. Boston is number one for Medical Research & Education. Chicago is number one for Mercantile Exchange & Transportation. Houston is number one for Energy & Port Activity (tonnage). Los Angeles is number one for Film Industry & Port (cargo). New York City is number one for Finance. Miami is number one for International Banking.

Don't get me wrong, Houston has come a long way since 1984 when its economy was 85% Oil & Energy to today where it is way less balanced with 23% Energy. That's a drastic improvement in 2 decades and is only getting more diverse by the day. But claiming to have every sector/industry doesn't make an economy diverse it just makes the economy more in depth. Houston is more in depth than Dallas-Fort Worth, where as Dallas-Fort Worth is probably more diverse (balanced).

That's how it is. No number 2's. Only count it if it's # 1 in something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City