Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minneapolis vs Denver
City of lakes 63 55.26%
Queen city of the plains 51 44.74%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:44 PM

13 posts, read 18,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
There are a couple threads on this topic already. Minneapolis and Denver draw a lot of comparisons on this forum. If you want to see what others have already written, it's probably not too hard to find.
I knw,haha i was just hopping to bring up a new conversation thats not out dated,haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 PM

13 posts, read 18,514 times
Heres mine

Transportationenver

Skylineowntown Denver+Denver Tech center+Glendale Or St paul+Minneapolis..Hmm, im not sure but i think the twins may have the advantage

Big City feelingenver for sure

Scenery:Hmm,denver is perceived as Brown...Idk where that came from. I live in the outer end of Aurora,CO...and its not "brown" like people will make you think. Its actually very pretty and my lawn stays green from late march until the middle of December
The twin Cities are very pretty just from what ive seen, i haven been there but pictures justify it pretty well.

Downtown Area:Maybe Denver?

Suburbs:I like Denvers because there just so relaxed, idk about Twin cities

Climate:Just from what ive heard Denver

Things to doenver...Skiing,Elitches,The shopping...etc...
Twin cities...Im not sure,haha

Traffic:Im pretty certain Denver..especially during rushour...Omg...

Pollutionenver for sure,but its not that noticable,to me anyways

Entertainment:Both have great art and theater aspects that make them great performing cities

Nightlifeenver

Sports:Possibly Denver?

Culture:Twin Cities

Old 12-08-2010, 10:28 PM

737 posts, read 1,653,603 times
Transportation: Public or Private, roads, airport, etc??? The Cities (MSP) have a great location in the middle of the US but Denver is good too. Never flown in there so can't make an objective statement.

Skyline: Twin Cities (Minneapolis)

Big City feeling: Twin Cities, great density that just continues to flow together

Scenery: Denver, I mean how can you beat the Rockies in the background

Downtown Area: Iv'e been to Denver but its been years, Minne, and St Paul's DT are smaller than they look from skyline views.

Suburbs: Seriously who cares theyr'e frickin suburbs, its the same crap you get from any mid to major US city (Walmart, Outlet Centers, a void of substance).

Climate: Denver because they do have periods of thaw in the winter

Things to do: Tie, I think both metro have plenty to do (Hiking, Biking, Jogging, Sking downhill/cross country,snowshoeing, camping, etc...) I'm an outdoors person what can I say.

Traffic: I'd imagine Denver is just as crappy as the cities are at rush hour, but the cities wasn't as bad as I thought. Outside of rush hours its very managable more so than expected.

Pollution: Dont know.

Entertainment: I'd say tie. There is plenty to do in the Cities on any given night. I'd imagine the Denver metro would be comparable.

Nightlife: See above statement

Sports:Tie, both cities have representatives in all four major areas, and large division 1 universities from major conferences. Both really love their NFL teams.

Culture: Close but right now I'd give the edge to the cities. Large populations of African (Nigeria, Somalia, Ethiopian), Asian (Hmong), Native American, and of course traditional major US metro populations of latino, white, and black culture, not to mention a strong scandanavian tradition influence in the area.

Great Cities i'd be happy in either metro, although Minne is my home.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:28 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
By the way, I'm actually from Denver. I love the area. But I don't love the city's obnoxious boosterism which pretends that it is one of the country's hippest and most vibrant cities when, in fact, it's more or less a sleepy cowtown. I like culture as much as the next guy or gal, but I don't pretend that Denver is even close to the level of most other similarly-sized or larger metropolitan areas. Give me a middle-American city roughly the size of Denver and chances are it will have a more established, rooted cultural scene. St. Louis? Much better. Minneapolis? Better.

Sorry, but listening to the Fray in your GMC Yukon while driving on I-25 doesn't count as culture.
When were you in Denver last 1980? If this was even close to true I wouldn't have moved back here.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:38 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
When were you in Denver last 1980? If this was even close to true I wouldn't have moved back here.
I agree. GoneNative's description of Denver couldn't be farther from the truth. Denver has changed dramatically over the past couple decades. In my opinion (having been to both cities), Denver and Minneapolis are actually quite comparable in terms of size, density and cultural offerings.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:58 AM

704 posts, read 1,791,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Just because Denver has cleaned up its downtown and the area has ballooned with condos and lofts, doesn't make it culturally dynamic. In fact, I'd say that LoDo has added little more than a Disney-fied, collegiate feel to downtown, and it hasn't really broadly changed anything at all.

That doesn't mean it's Sioux Falls. But it also doesn't mean that it's anything close to the Twin Cities. Minneapolis is much more cosmopolitan, progressive, cultural, etc.

The LoDo crowd hates to hear that, because they envision themselves a beacon of vibrant cultural life in America. But it is what it is, no matter how many lines of light rail (which, right now, isn't much) or how large a convention center the city builds.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:00 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
So all of Denver's culture resides in Lodo..and only light rail lines equate progressive? Lodo is merely one neighborhood and just because it's been revitalized doesn't take away from the educated, eco minded populace moving to the area. Every one knows that all cultured and sooo called progressive thinking people only reside in gritty burned out century old lofts or historic row homes. I have read many of your posts regarding Denver and something tells me you have a serious axe to grind with the city in general. FYI Denver isn't the center of the universe but the same can be said about Millwaukee. Minneapolis does have the edge IMO when it comes to culture and is a gorgeous city, but Denver's idea of culture isn't all Ikea, NorthFace and SUVs.

Boosterism is when The city of Denver back in the 1890's used to show Ferry Lines crossing the Platte in travel brochures to easterners or displaying green fields of crops extending for miles where barren plains existed. I didn't author those meaningless articles claiming that Lodo is Americas best hood or what ever..personally I prefer Cherry Creek, Highland, Baker..but Lodo isn't a bad option for a night out either and there are still some very cool historic buildings there that have not been lost to parking lots or luxury hotels,condos.

Last edited by Scott5280; 12-16-2010 at 01:19 PM..

Old 12-16-2010, 01:08 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
I hate the Minnesota accent, you betcha.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:40 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,061 times
Minneapolis is much more progressive, cosmopolitan, cultural? We are talking about the Minneapolis that's in Minnesota right?

Old 12-16-2010, 02:56 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,061 times
didn't finish my last post. We're not comparing Denver and Paris so let's be realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City