Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minneapolis vs Denver
City of lakes 63 55.26%
Queen city of the plains 51 44.74%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 PM

252 posts, read 491,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I was just in MSP last weekend and really enjoyed it. Went to a Twins game and stayed across the river in the Dinkytown area. It's a very nice downtown, but personally, I have to give a slight edge to Denver. It has quite a bit to offer:

Coors Field
Pepsi Center for Avs, Nuggets, concerts, etc
16th Street Mall
Elitch Gardens amusement park
Downtown Aquarium
State capitol
Lodo
Breweries
University of Colorado Denver
Paramount Theatre
Light rail
Union Station
View of the Rockies
If one is looking for an amusement park, aquarium, and a mountain view, then yeah, downtown Denver has the edge.

Minneapolis also has the sports facilities (Target Field and Target Center); numerous theaters (not under one roof); Nicollet Mall; light rail and commuter rail; University of St. Thomas, MCTC, and the University of Minnesota (3rd largest university in the country) across the freeway; etc.... Downtown Minneapolis also has another downtown area and country's largest mall less than 10 miles away to compete with whereas downtown Denver doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 07:21 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,643,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
If one is looking for an amusement park, aquarium, and a mountain view, then yeah, downtown Denver has the edge.

Minneapolis also has the sports facilities (Target Field and Target Center); numerous theaters (not under one roof); Nicollet Mall; light rail and commuter rail; University of St. Thomas, MCTC, and the University of Minnesota (3rd largest university in the country) across the freeway; etc....
But you were asking what was so good about DT Denver, so he listed them for you. Its not to say that Minneapolis doesn't have those things, but it was also to show what DT Denver had to offer. Denver also has numerous theatres, the other poster just listed one.

Last edited by Mezter; 06-18-2011 at 07:46 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 07:35 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,829,623 times
I kinda wish MPLS had an aquarium too. That, and a Planetarium and/or Imax. The Planetarium should happen someday, but the other two I'm not so sure...

Old 06-19-2011, 12:07 AM

252 posts, read 491,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
But you were asking what was so good about DT Denver, so he listed them for you. Its not to say that Minneapolis doesn't have those things, but it was also to show what DT Denver had to offer. Denver also has numerous theatres, the other poster just listed one.

Do you really want to get into a discussion regarding these two cities' theater scenes? Denver is a great city, but you come off like a complete homer. You get make a lot of statements that you can't back and no other Denver rep will support, but you continue to let it flow. What is your deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I kinda wish MPLS had an aquarium too. That, and a Planetarium and/or Imax. The Planetarium should happen someday, but the other two I'm not so sure...
St. Paul has the IMAX and Bloomington has the aquarium.

Last edited by Unity77; 06-19-2011 at 12:19 AM..

Old 06-19-2011, 11:37 AM

I want a REAL aquarium -- a huge one! I didn't know about St. Paul though, but we still need a Planetarium, because I love looking at astronomical things (build it just for me!).

Old 06-19-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post

Do you really want to get into a discussion regarding these two cities' theater scenes? Denver is a great city, but you come off like a complete homer. You get make a lot of statements that you can't back and no other Denver rep will support, but you continue to let it flow. What is your deal?

St. Paul has the IMAX and Bloomington has the aquarium.
What?? I didn't say Denvers Theater scene was better...am I wrong.? And how are you going to tell me I don't back anything that i say up, when i just listed a whole list of things DT Denver had to offer?? You asked a question, and I awnsered it for you. You make no since.

Last edited by Mezter; 06-19-2011 at 12:57 PM..

Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 PM

Transportation: Denver..but TC's is more accessable
Skyline: Denver (Personally)
Big City feeling: Defenently Denver (To me)
Scenery: Maybe The Twins
Downtown Area: Denver beats Minneapolis and St. Paul
Suburbs: I think The twin cities burbs are overrated, and I think Denvers are underrated...so i guess denver.
Climate: I Actually like the cold and snow. Denver gets more snow, and The twin cities gets less snow, but they are colder. so to me...TC's
Things to do: Denver
Traffic: Denvers is alot worst.
Pollution: Denver (Rocky Mountains to the west do NOT help the smog)
Entertainment: The Twins cities are known for Art & Theater, so is Denver, but to a lesser scale. So i think the Twins..but only slightly
Nightlife: Denvers is alot better (IMO)
Sports: Denver all the way!
Culture: Twin Cities

Old 06-19-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
What?? I didn't say Denvers Theater scene was better...am I wrong.? And how are you going to tell me I don't back anything that i say up, when i just listed a whole list of things DT Denver had to offer?? You asked a question, and I awnsered it for you. You make no since.
There is no way Denver has more theatre (broadway, one-man shows, etc.) than Minneapolis. Minneapolis is possibly top 5 in the country and #2 in theater seats per capita.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainRush View Post
Transportation: Denver..but TC's is more accessable
Skyline: Denver (Personally)
Big City feeling: Defenently Denver (To me)
Scenery: Maybe The Twins
Downtown Area: Denver beats Minneapolis and St. Paul
Suburbs: I think The twin cities burbs are overrated, and I think Denvers are underrated...so i guess denver.
Climate: I Actually like the cold and snow. Denver gets more snow, and The twin cities gets less snow, but they are colder. so to me...TC's
Things to do: Denver
Traffic: Denvers is alot worst.
Pollution: Denver (Rocky Mountains to the west do NOT help the smog)
Entertainment: The Twins cities are known for Art & Theater, so is Denver, but to a lesser scale. So i think the Twins..but only slightly
Nightlife: Denvers is alot better (IMO)
Sports: Denver all the way!
Culture: Twin Cities
Question. Have you been to Minneapolis-St. Paul? My guess is no.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:11 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,036,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
There is no way Denver has more theatre (broadway, one-man shows, etc.) than Minneapolis. Minneapolis is possibly top 5 in the country and #2 in theater seats per capita.
According to BuzzFeed, one of the reasons Minnesota was named the top "hipster" state is the fact that Minneapolis is the third largest live theater market in the country (NY and CHI are one and two).

The Most Hipster State In The US: Pics, Videos, Links, News (http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrismenning/the-most-hipster-state-in-the-us - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City