Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:04 AM

34 posts, read 93,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
so you are in NYC currently?

If you go to Bay Area and want med school, if you already have a degree, and going back for the prereqs, you have about a 1% chance of getting into UCSF or Stanford. they are both top 10 med schools.

You might want to look more at LA Area... it gives you UCLA, USC, UC Irvine right there... And if you want to move a tad, you still have UCSD... All of which are easier to get into than Stanford or UCSF. UCSF competing with Harvard/Johns Hopkins/Columbia as the 4/5th ranked med school in the U.S. and Stanford with Cornell/Yale... certainly no slouch.

Your best chance of getting in anywhere is USC as they are private and would love to take your $, might favor more life exp, more so than the UC's which are extremely competitive and more egalitarian, better have a 3.9/4.0 GPA. If you want to go the UC route your best shot is probably Irvine.

I'm not in NYC currently.

I am not opposed to relocating again for medical school if necessary. I'd apply broadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 11:11 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenblue View Post
I'm not in NYC currently.

I am not opposed to relocating again for medical school if necessary. I'd apply broadly.
Well if you aren't in NYC, then you might want to recheck the costs of SF... as NYC is the only other area more expensive. Housing costs will be about double what you were used to in Chicago. I.E. expect studio to be in the 1000-1500 range and the 1br to be in the 1500-2000 range, 2br's probably 2500-3500 range. and I am not talking about nice ones in hot neighborhoods, I am talking just finding anything...

also your requirement:

-not too liberal (I'm a big fan of voting in my tax bracket) --- Is going to kill it for you...

i.e. heres closer to downtown for an OK jr 1 bedroom 450sq feet

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/2103735519.html (broken link)

Last edited by grapico; 12-09-2010 at 11:21 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 11:16 AM

I'm pretty sure I know how much it costs to live where I'm living, but thanks for your input. I even double-checked it against Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed to compare SF to my current location.

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2011 at 06:55 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I know how much it costs to live where I'm living, but thanks for your input. I even double-checked it against Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed to compare SF to my current location.
OK you seem to know what you are doing and more than people who have lived there, good luck

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2011 at 06:55 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 11:33 AM

No need for snark. I just think SF is going to be comparable to my current location in terms of cost.

Here are my numbers for cost of living minus the location:

Overall, my COL is 205 vs San Fran's 206

Overall 205 206
Food 94 120
Housing 400 369
Utilities 103 93
Transportation 106 114
Health 101 113
Miscellaneous 99 131

Housing is going to be cheaper in SF, which is great.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
also your requirement:

-not too liberal (I'm a big fan of voting in my tax bracket) --- Is going to kill it for you...

i.e. heres closer to downtown for an OK jr 1 bedroom 450sq feet

OPEN SAT 12/11 11:00AM | 1 Ecker: 16 Jessie St #407 | Algeo | CLIMB (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/2103735519.html - broken link)

-Is what going to kill it for me? Not living in a relatively conservative place? Maybe. Not interested in living in Berkeley if it's anything like Oak Park IL if that makes any sense (seeing as you're in Chicago). I'm going to have to visit and see if it's my kind of place, I think, to answer that question.

-Regarding your link, yes, I see it, and yes, housing is cheaper in SF than in my current location. Which is not NYC. The end.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 PM

528 posts, read 1,184,459 times
have you thought about DC? I think it has everything to offer that you are looking for, possibly with the exception of warm winters...but the winters here aren't as bad as Chicago's

Old 12-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
-Is what going to kill it for me? Not living in a relatively conservative place? Maybe. Not interested in living in Berkeley if it's anything like Oak Park IL if that makes any sense (seeing as you're in Chicago). I'm going to have to visit and see if it's my kind of place, I think, to answer that question.

-Regarding your link, yes, I see it, and yes, housing is cheaper in SF than in my current location. Which is not NYC. The end.
Oak Park? LoL Oak Park isn't even on the radar compared to Bay Area... How much time have you spent in the Bay Area? Chicago is a pretty down the middle city being less liberal than Boston/LA/NYC.
SF/Berkeley is far left and in your face as it goes in terms of North America. Less than a 10% R voting base. I don't particularly mind it, but I know people who would go crazy and be in a bit of culture shock...
My gf is from the Bay Area and she thinks Chicago is conservative/vanilla for the most part in comparison.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Oak Park? LoL Oak Park isn't even on the radar compared to Bay Area... How much time have you spent in the Bay Area? Chicago is a pretty down the middle city being less liberal than Boston/LA/NYC.
SF/Berkeley is far left and in your face as it goes in terms of North America. Less than a 10% R voting base. I don't particularly mind it, but I know people who would go crazy and be in a bit of culture shock...
My gf is from the Bay Area and she thinks Chicago is conservative/vanilla for the most part in comparison.

I think I'm going to have to visit for a little while first. That's part of why I'm also considering TX. I'm not super conservative but definitely much more conservative than most people my age it seems.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,125,525 times
Texas!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City