Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:46 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,953 times

Advertisements

Cincinnati
Vine Street
Columbia Parkway (of Rain Man fame)

Denver
Colfax
16th Street

Las Vegas
Las Vegas Blvd.

Cheyenne, Wyo.
Lincolnway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 11:57 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,849 times
The city I live in only has one major road (A1A: Collins Ave), but the Miami area is more interesting, so I'll do that. I wish I could post my own pictures, but I unfortunately killed my computer, by pouring coffee on the keyboard. These are ordered roughly in importance (for each section).

Miami Proper:

Biscayne Blvd (especially the Brickell Ave section).
-I think Biscayne is the heart of modern Miami (if there is such a thing). Starting in the Upper East Side, you pass the historic (if falling down) MiMo architecture district. Downtown passes by the Freedom Tower, the American Airlines Arena and the Bayside Marketplace. And Brickell Ave (south of the river) is the biggest concentration of high rises and skyscrapers.

Flagler St
-The historic center of Miami. It's the historic center. The Olympia Theater should be a more noted landmark. There are some other historic buildings in the surrounding blocks as well.

Calle Ocho (SW 8th St)
-The center of Little Havana. It's a bit of a sprawl for my tastes, but it's pretty important. Versailles Cafe (called the most famous Cuban restaurant in the world) is on Calle Ocho. The road becomes the Tamiami trail, continuing to Tampa through the everglades after it leaves Miami.

Honorable mentions:

NE 2nd Ave
-I'm not sure if I view this as a good thing, but this seems to be the center of Little Haiti. It's an area people tend to avoid, but if you're the adventurous type, it might be worth a visit.
NW 2nd Ave
-This is the best part of the Wynwood Arts District. It's still pretty rundown, but I like it.
I-95
-It's pretty boring to nominate the major east coast highway, but I like to watch all the lights wiz by as I travel through the city at night.

Miami Beaches:

A1A Collins Ave (also called Indian Creek Drive)
-It's the center of Sunny Isles, Bal Harbour, Surfside and most of Miami Beach. It has the hotels (Fountainebleau), bars and shops. I'm not sure if it's the best road on Miami Beach, but it's the center of the action. When it's Indian Creek Drive, you get a good view of the yachts and mansions across the river. That usually gets me psyched for a glitzy, superficial night out.

Ocean Drive
-The other major road on South Beach. It has the beach, the Art Deco Hotels and most of the overpriced, overrated bars and restaurants. However, it's the place to be if you want to spend a lot of money and see a lot of beautiful people. If you're not into that scene, it's still worth going during the day for the beach and a quick tour of the deco hotels.

Lincoln Rd
-The outdoor pedestrian mall of South Beach. Someone said this is where the locals go, but it's just as touristy as Ocean (just with a different type of tourist). It's more for shopping and people watching with restaurants that are a bit cheaper than Ocean.

Espanola Way
-A European and Hispanic-influenced road (alley?) on South Beach. It's almost all restaurants and bars here. It's pretty short and closed off to cars, so it's a good place for casual drinking. I prefer it to Ocean (I prefer almost everything to Ocean).

Washington Ave
-It's a lot like Collins--hotels, bars, clubs and restaurants. It's kind of grimy, but it has Mansion (one of the most famous clubs on South Beach) and also some cheaper places to grab a drink or a bite to eat.

Other good Miami-Dade Roads:

Coral Way
-One of the most underrated roads. It's lined with hammock-type trees, making the drive almost pleasant (it'd be nicer without all the honking cars). It goes right through the heart of Coral Gables. The Miracle Mile is a good collection of restaurants and is especially pretty around Christmas.

Old Cutler Rd
-One of the more relaxing roads in Miami. Check out this description here

That might be it. Worst road? The Turnpike--ugh. 95 is pretty bad during the day.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:17 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,101 times
STL
Delmar
Grand
Grove
Magnolia

Old 07-12-2012, 04:09 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
In Philadelphia

1. South Street
2. Broad Street
3. Ben Franklin Parkway
4. JFK Blvd.
5. Market Street
6. Walnut Street

Old 01-20-2017, 04:51 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,405,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Seattle would be Pike St.
I would have guessed First Ave. would be Seattle's most famous street.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:36 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,543 times
Toronto:

Yonge Street
Bay Street
King Street
Bloor Street
Yorkville Avenue
Queen Street
Spadina Avenue

Old 01-20-2017, 05:39 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Toronto:

Yonge Street
Bay Street
King Street
Bloor Street
Yorkville Avenue
Queen Street
Spadina Avenue
Yes, and Dundas, King Street, Bathurst, and Eglinton.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:43 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,338 times
St. Paul: Summit Ave or University Ave
Minneapolis: Lake Street, Hennepin Ave, or Lyndale Ave

Old 01-20-2017, 10:20 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,883,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
I would have guessed First Ave. would be Seattle's most famous street.
Maybe he meant Pike due to Pike Place? Either way, I don't think Seattle has any truly renowned streets. Attractions sure, but not necessarily the street they're on.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:05 AM

626 posts, read 380,827 times
Richmond: Monument Ave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City