Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2010, 10:55 AM
 
226 posts, read 643,639 times
Reputation: 147

Advertisements

If anybody else has CORRECTIVE criticism on this map, (not here to prove they are smarter than me), then please add what you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2010, 11:01 AM
 
871 posts, read 2,236,320 times
Reputation: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj867 View Post
If anybody else has CORRECTIVE criticism on this map, (not here to prove they are smarter than me), then please add what you know.
ive never once claimed to be smarter than you, or attempted to prove such. i simply pointed out areas on your map that i thought were wrong (or needed to be corrected) and questioned what was used as a source.

somehow, you took that extremely defensively. thats your problem though. and you actually made some of my corrections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 11:11 AM
 
226 posts, read 643,639 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
ive never once claimed to be smarter than you, or attempted to prove such. i simply pointed out areas on your map that i thought were wrong (or needed to be corrected) and questioned what was used as a source.

somehow, you took that extremely defensively. thats your problem though. and you actually made some of my corrections.
Please, don't act innocent now.


"what exactly do you think is happening there in northeast KY along the river? thats not a rust belt area. never has been
and the coal fields in western KY and IL are not "rust belt". thats not the same thing.
and what rust belt industry was going on is southwest indiana?

what on earth was this map even based up of?"




That is what you said in your first post. You really need to work on your people skills dude. You could have worded that way different. You were trying to condescend me. "What on earth was this map even based up of?" You were putting it as if my map was just one giant piece of SH1T. I don't put up with it from my family, and I sure as hell am not going to put up with it from a total stranger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,984 posts, read 13,348,991 times
Reputation: 3365
There's nothing rust belt about Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids. West Michigan has an agriculture and business-based economy, with little manufacturing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 PM
 
226 posts, read 643,639 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
There's nothing rust belt about Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids. West Michigan has an agriculture and business-based economy, with little manufacturing.
Kalamazoo you are correct on, but not grand rapids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Somewhere extremely awesome
3,130 posts, read 3,051,997 times
Reputation: 2472
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj867 View Post
Kalamazoo you are correct on, but not grand rapids.
Actually, I was kind of wondering the opposite from kazoopilot, why all of southwestern Michigan isn't included. From your map, it looks like the Rust Belt stops at about Jackson. Kalamazoo might not be typical rust belt, but fairly major players in west and southwest Michigan, such as Battle Creek, Benton Harbor, and Muskegon definitely are. The Grand Rapids area has a lot of automotive industry around it that has been adversely affected, though.

That being said, if you exempt Kalamazoo, you probably would have to exempt Grand Rapids. You'd also have to exempt Ann Arbor, Midland, and probably even East Lansing (although it borders Lansing so you could make arguments for leaving it there.) It probably would just be simpler to include all of southwest Michigan in there and realize that a few areas have economies that are slightly more based on agriculture, education, and services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 02:45 AM
 
226 posts, read 643,639 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
Actually, I was kind of wondering the opposite from kazoopilot, why all of southwestern Michigan isn't included. From your map, it looks like the Rust Belt stops at about Jackson. Kalamazoo might not be typical rust belt, but fairly major players in west and southwest Michigan, such as Battle Creek, Benton Harbor, and Muskegon definitely are. The Grand Rapids area has a lot of automotive industry around it that has been adversely affected, though.

That being said, if you exempt Kalamazoo, you probably would have to exempt Grand Rapids. You'd also have to exempt Ann Arbor, Midland, and probably even East Lansing (although it borders Lansing so you could make arguments for leaving it there.) It probably would just be simpler to include all of southwest Michigan in there and realize that a few areas have economies that are slightly more based on agriculture, education, and services.
Thank you, I'm going to bring it back. This is an ever changing map, based on what I learn more and more about the rust belt. I agree with you here. I have been having a problem with these "oasis" cities within the rust belt, such as columbus and Kalamazoo. Also Lafayette indiana, Champaign/Urbana Illinois and now even Pittsburgh. These places are not rust belt anymore, or have never been rust belt, but they are definitely surrounded by rust belt cities.

Also I left Normal Bloomington because although they werent typical "Rust belt" cities, they were founded as Insurance company cities to support the surrounding industries financially. I left out Champaign Urbana because they are college towns. Cities that have grown in response to U of I students. But I did add Danville, which is a Rust belt city through and through.

Last edited by bhj867; 12-13-2010 at 03:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Maryland
4,671 posts, read 7,338,136 times
Reputation: 5325
I don't think Bloomington/Normal Illinois is rust belt...the area is much more white collar and is dominated by State Farm. I also think that Duluth is (or at least was) rust belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:12 PM
 
871 posts, read 2,236,320 times
Reputation: 608
it looks pretty solid at this point. although i dont see evansville and owensboro as being rust belt. they never had population booms due to industry followed by stagnation and losing population. in fact, theyve grown more recently than at any other time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:20 PM
 
226 posts, read 643,639 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
it looks pretty solid at this point. although i dont see evansville and owensboro as being rust belt. they never had population booms due to industry followed by stagnation and losing population. in fact, theyve grown more recently than at any other time.
1930 102,249
19.9% 1940 97,962
−4.2% 1950 128,636
31.3% 1960 141,543
10.0% 1970 138,764
−2.0% 1980 130,496
−6.0% 1990 126,272
−3.2% 2000 121,582
−3.7%

I don't know, that looks like stagnation to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top