Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 AM

191 posts, read 805,698 times

Advertisements

One of the original descriptions of the Rust Belt was The Foundry in the Nine Nations of North America. Baltimore was included in this book, as was Camden, etc. But these east coast cities have been/will be redeveloped into new identities, whereas more inland cities like Flint, Youngstown, etc. are having a hard time reinventing themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 09:23 PM

226 posts, read 642,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
For anyone to claim that Baltimore is currently a Rust Belt City is in denial of reality...

I can't speak on the past(4-5 Decades) but the future of improving Business and Economics in Baltimore looks good especially with the Military Base Realignment in nearby Fort Meade and Aberdeen Proving Grounds........
OK maybe you missed the part where I said I put it in the "Recovered Rust Belt" catagory?

Old 12-26-2010, 03:28 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,295,139 times
In a way, Gary, IN is definitely rust belt because it is part of the old steel empire. They make as much steel as they did in the 1960s but with 1/10 the people. And it shows.

Chicago? Are you kidding me? Chicago was always diversified. It was a railroad and commodities city in the past. It still is. It is a financial center. It is a cultural hub. It is a major tourist hub. It successfully pulled itself out of the doldrums in the 1980s. The suburbs are also not major contributors to the auto industry in terms of manufacturing.

To me, Rust Belt means that it is a city that has seen its manufacturing base dwindle and economy contract because of the major auto firms moving out. The burbs and outlying neighborhoods may have seen that but it was just filled in with something else (except maybe the 1970s, when White Flight was having its repercussions), and in fact, has expanded dramatically since the auto firms moved on. It isn't even a "recovered" rust belt city because it never had to significantly "recover" because there were always jobs available for something else.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:20 AM

So is the OP going to make any revisions to the map based on the discussion? Or does the map stay the way it is?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 AM

226 posts, read 642,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
So is the OP going to make any revisions to the map based on the discussion? Or does the map stay the way it is?
I have made a ton of revisions already. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj867 View Post
I have made a ton of revisions already. Any other suggestions?
I like the map, but I also liked the conversation about the map!

Old 12-09-2013, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 936 times
Any chance of updating it to spell "Erie" correctly? It appears at least three times: For the lake, the city in PA, and the "Eerie Canal Branch".

By the way, the map was featured in Belt Magazine at [url=http://beltmag.com/mapping-rust-belt/]Where Is the Rust Belt? | Belt Magazine | Dispatches From The Rust Belt[/url] .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City