U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 01:08 PM

5,850 posts, read 11,247,754 times

Advertisements

Tie between St. Louis and Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 01:13 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,852,845 times
Turner Field is too far south to really capture the city's energy like some of the others IMO.

DSCN0063 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_y/1201555285/ - broken link) by blue_pixel (http://www.flickr.com/people/steve_y/ - broken link), on Flickr

Detroit's Comerica Park on the other hand seems to be right in the middle of it all.

Detroit Skyline from Comerica Park (http://www.flickr.com/photos/billwhiting/1391695901/ - broken link) by wcwhiting (http://www.flickr.com/people/billwhiting/ - broken link), on Flickr

Old 12-23-2010, 01:35 PM

571 posts, read 1,148,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
not quite. And Minute Maid Park, due to its hulking roof, doesn't have that classical baseball diamond look to it. It's a great project that reused a part of the old Union Station and built the park as part of it. But it just doesn't have a strong appeal like some of these others.
It might not LOOK like the others from outside, but from inside, I think it still offers a decent view of the Bayou City. Exhibit A: A lovely day at the juice box:

Old 12-23-2010, 01:38 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,327,720 times
Having been to Pittsburghs, PNC park. I have to say that I was blown away by the views. I bought a ticket for five bucks four years ago walking over the Robert Clemente bridge. They were playing Colorado. Their stadium was not just beautiful, but the views enhanced it. I say hands down PNC wins. There were some nice other ones, but I personally like the view from PItts stadium the best.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:30 AM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC, Connecticut, and Boston
2,403 posts, read 3,579,729 times
I've been to every park shown here except new Busch stadium, and would say Pittsburgh first, then San Diego, then Minneapolis, then Boston, then Chicago. Would also give honorable mention to AAA parks in Indianapolis and Oklahoma City.

Minute Maid was a huge disappointment - with the roof open it feels like you're in a shoebox. Also a bail bondsman across the street, not an exciting ballpark district like San Diego Gaslamp, Minneapolis Hennepin Ave, Wrigleyville, etc.

Also a big disappointment is Nats Park here in DC. You can see the Capital Dome from the upper deck, but it's not prominent. Things might improve though in a couple years when the new apartments in the ballpark neighborhood finally get built as we come out of the recession.

San Francisco also great, but you have to look out the back of the concourse to see the skyline. Same with Denver/Coors Field. San Diego not just a great view of the city, but the park beyond CF connects the city to the park in a way I haven't seen elsewhere. Seattle's a bit far from downtown, but OK nonetheless, immediate neighborhood not the most interesting.

Texas Rangers play next to the Dallas Cowboys. Downtown Dallas could use a baseball stadium, never made sense to build another in Arlington, especially after Camden Yards brought back idea of urban ballparks. Camden Yards itself is a great stadium, but Baltimore is a less exciting, more dangerous city compared to Denver, San Diego, Minneapolis, etc. Kind of detracts from everything as is the case with Comerica in Detroit.

Turner Field feels like a suburban stadium, one of my least favorite post-Camden Yards parks. CBP does too, Philly skyline is distant and with the surrounding stadium ghetto and I-95 on/off ramps, might as well have put the thing in Chester or South Jersey. Both NY stadiums do nothing for their cities, suburban off-ramp parks as well. Brooklyn would be a great spot for a ballpark, but land's too expensive for that now. Oklahoma City's AAA park promotes its city more than Yankee Stadium or Citi Field.

Also, no love for the Jake in Cleveland? Not much of a skyline there, but worth a mention.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:52 AM

22,374 posts, read 32,890,157 times
Same shots of CBP - Though center city is still fairly far away

Celebration at Citizens Bank Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thewestend/3063091240/ - broken link)

2006 06 18 - 4249 - Philadelphia | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thisisbossi/3508081835/ - broken link)

Center Field City | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fenbranklin/2380321230/ - broken link)

Old 12-24-2010, 01:23 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,531,018 times
Cool! I never see that on TV or anything....is it the view from the seats or another vantage point?

Old 12-24-2010, 01:42 PM

467 posts, read 636,239 times
It's pretty much a matter of where you're sitting for some of these parks. I still vote PNC to be the best, with Camden close behind in terms of cityscape even if they do host two of the worst teams in Baseball. Detroit was not bad either.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:14 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,873,732 times
It's apparent that Omaha's growing skyline isn't on par with those (some catching up to do), but the new downtown TDAmeritrade park (seats 24,000 expandable to 40,000) will have a great skyline shot!

Old 12-25-2010, 05:12 AM

13,330 posts, read 18,458,610 times
The top 10 cityscapes in Major League Baseball parks

1. Pittsburgh
2. Detroit
3. St. Louis
4. Baltimore
5. Minnesota
6. Cleveland
7. San Diego
8. Chicago (Cubs)
9. Seattle
10. Boston

Natural landscapes: Colorado, San Francisco.
Facing the wrong direction: Chicago (White Sox), Cincinnati, Los Angeles (Dodgers).
Too far away: Atlanta, Philadelphia.
Obstructed views: Arizona, Houston.
Poor location: Kansas City, Los Angeles (Angels of Anaheim), Milwaukee, New York (Mets), Texas.
Poor facilities: Florida, Oakland, Tampa Bay, Toronto.
Just there: New York (Yankees), Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or