U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 10:27 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,528,438 times

Advertisements

^Interesting perspective! I agree for the most part, with a few exceptions of course. I'd put Minnesota in the top 4, which would also include Wrigley. Wrigley doesn't get enough attention but if you think about it, it was the prototype for almost EVERY new stadium built in the past 10-20 years -- city in the background, surrounded by a fun urban neighborhood. The fact that it's nestled 10 miles away from downtown and STILL looks so fascinating is what makes it so cool to me! I think Baltimore and St. Louis, while super cool ballparks, get bumped out of the top 4 as neither truly capture the skylines of their respective cities, but yet they are smack in the middle of the city and you don't have to turn your head to see the city. Great list though, and I respect your opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 12:13 PM

74 posts, read 192,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The top 10 cityscapes in Major League Baseball parks

1. Pittsburgh
2. Detroit
3. St. Louis
4. Baltimore
5. Minnesota
6. Cleveland
7. San Diego
8. Chicago (Cubs)
9. Seattle
10. Boston

Natural landscapes: Colorado, San Francisco.
Facing the wrong direction: Chicago (White Sox), Cincinnati, Los Angeles (Dodgers).
Too far away: Atlanta, Philadelphia.
Obstructed views: Arizona, Houston.
Poor location: Kansas City, Los Angeles (Angels of Anaheim), Milwaukee, New York (Mets), Texas.
Poor facilities: Florida, Oakland, Tampa Bay, Toronto.
Just there: New York (Yankees), Washington.
How can the Scrubs be on that list when their ballpark doesnt show anything but a bunch of highrise condos and apartments. That's not the skyline of Chicago, and those buildings you see in the pictures of Wrigley are nondiscript buildings that someone from the Southside would never see unless they were in that area.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:18 PM

13,325 posts, read 18,452,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
^Interesting perspective! I agree for the most part, with a few exceptions of course. I'd put Minnesota in the top 4, which would also include Wrigley. Wrigley doesn't get enough attention but if you think about it, it was the prototype for almost EVERY new stadium built in the past 10-20 years -- city in the background, surrounded by a fun urban neighborhood. The fact that it's nestled 10 miles away from downtown and STILL looks so fascinating is what makes it so cool to me! I think Baltimore and St. Louis, while super cool ballparks, get bumped out of the top 4 as neither truly capture the skylines of their respective cities, but yet they are smack in the middle of the city and you don't have to turn your head to see the city. Great list though, and I respect your opinion!
The reason I bumped Wrigley Field down the list is because the backdrop is one of generic residential towers, which is only a small slice of Chicago. Imagine seeing the John Hancock and Aon Centers over the outfield wall instead. Sure, the neighborhood is great, but we're talking the cityscapes from inside the ballpark, and a couple of average-looking residential towers just ain't doing Chicago justice.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:55 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,507,638 times
Quote:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Detroit
3. St. Louis
4. Baltimore
5. Minnesota
6. Cleveland
7. San Diego
8. Chicago (Cubs)
9. Seattle
10. Boston

Facing the wrong direction: Chicago (White Sox), Cincinnati, Los Angeles (Dodgers).
Poor location: Kansas City, Los Angeles (Angels of Anaheim), Milwaukee, New York (Mets), Texas.
The Trop is more in a HORRENDOUS Location than it is poor and the Marlins have a new BallPark.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:47 PM

201 posts, read 415,629 times
Quote:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Detroit
3. St. Louis
4. Baltimore
5. Minnesota
6. Cleveland
7. San Diego
8. Chicago (Cubs)
9. Seattle
10. Boston

Yea because with the new bridge and a downtown stadium we'd love the hellacious traffic getting to and from games.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:11 PM
JJG

13,343 posts, read 19,612,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
but pretty much anyone that knows anything about baseball will know that it's a Dallas-area based team. Just because they're called "Texas" Rangers doesn't mean they're not the mlb team of Dallas...especially since Dallas (or even Dallas area) doesn't have two mlb teams like some other city/metro areas.
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh........

Look folks, Arlington may not be the greatest place for a ballpark, but Arlington just so happens to be in between two major cities. The location's fine since it's in the middle of the Metroplex, where it's pretty even for the bulk of the population to make it to games.

I know alot of you may not understand this, but we in Fort Worth don't wanna drive to Dallas for EVERY little event, ya know.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:16 PM

20,950 posts, read 16,634,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
No way, tailgating with thousands of people around you surrounded by the 4 (well now 3) impressive stadiums is a huge part of Philly sports. You get in the zone just by being there.
Absolutely.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:56 AM

160 posts, read 218,469 times
I think Pittsburg is number one, but Detroit puts up a really good fight for number two...this photo doesn't even take into account much of the western part of downtown's skyline you can see from upper left field...

Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,528,438 times
Detroit is certainly underrated/underrepresented.....I hear mostly about Target Field, PNC Park, Wrigley, Fenway, Camden Yard and Jacob's Field as "the best" city parks but Detroit seems like it's better than most of those.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:55 PM

102 posts, read 160,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
It's apparent that Omaha's growing skyline isn't on par with those (some catching up to do), but the new downtown TDAmeritrade park (seats 24,000 expandable to 40,000) will have a great skyline shot!
It's ok, but the angle from home plate off more toward the east, therefore, missing most of the skyline.
www.adamstreur.com

That said, Pittsburgh's is my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or