Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best US Mountain Region
Southern Appalachian 58 14.99%
Northern Appalachian 30 7.75%
Ozarks/Ouachita 3 0.78%
Southern Rockies 63 16.28%
Northern Rockies 48 12.40%
Sierra Nevada 64 16.54%
Cascades 89 23.00%
Alaska 32 8.27%
Voters: 387. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:19 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite mountain region in the US? What do you like about the region of your choice? Basis upon recreation, heritage, altitude, scenery, culture, skiing/athletics, or just darn good memories.

Southern Appalachian (GA/SC/NC/TN/VA /Smokies, Blue Ridge, Shenandoah)

Northern Appalachian (MD, PA, NY, CT, MA, VT, NH, ME /Allegheny, Pocono, Catskill/Adirondacks, Berkshires, Green Mts, White Mts)

Ozarks/Ouachita (Arkansas,MO,OK)

Southern Rockies -(New Mexico & Colorado /Sandias, Sangre de Cristos, San Juans, Front Range)

Northern Rockies -(Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana /Wasatch, Tetons, Bitteroots)

Sierra Nevada (California, Nevada /Sierras, San Gabriel, Coastal California Ranges)

Cascades (Northern CA, Oregon, WA /Cascade, Coastal, and Olympic ranges)

Alaska - Alaska, Chugach, and Brooks Ranges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 PM

198 posts, read 1,279,087 times
I voted for the southern Rockies, but i love the Sierra Nevadas as well. Also, Utah's rocky mountains are part of the southern Rockies as well, not the northern Rockies, but i see what you mean. Good poll!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:17 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
voted for the cascades mainly because they are the most scenic (by far) from urban areas and when i am driving around the region.

colorado is second place. the drive from durango to montrose is possibly my fav as far as scenery goes. had to stay in the gunnison/salida area for around a month on a campaign a few years back and have very good memories.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,071 times
Are you really from Bangkok.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:53 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
i maintain a residence bangkok, the only place i do this, but i work in the US. usually try to split my time 50/50.

my work in the US is nomadic so dont really live anywhere but consider california my home.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
While I really love the beauty of Southern Appalachia, I really love the Rockies, both Northern and Southern. My favorite area of the Northern Rockies is the Tetons...but I do like the mountains in Idaho, Montana, and Utah. In the Southern Rockies, I'm a big fan of the San Juans.

Outside of that, the Cascades are definitely a player, and are very beautiful.

To tell you the truth, I love all of the mountainous areas...I'm much more of a mountain lover than a beach lover. I don't ski, but I love to hike and really just like the setting that mountains provide.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
The Southern Rockies in both Colorado and New Mexico are my absolute favorite. Although I like just about any mountain area, I'm a big fan of the Southern Rockies being semi arid and the bases of the mountains are already at high elevations meaning less tree cover abd More horizons with more beautiful vews. I hiked up Camels Hump in Vermont and had to get to the very top of the mountain before any view came into sight because the whole mountain is so thickly forested. No doubt the view of all the Green Mountains, valleys, and Lake Champlain on the summit was awesome. But by compariosn I hiked Mt. Elbert in Colorado which was substantially more impressive. Halfway up the mountain there were incredible views as I was already past the treeline there. Going up the views kept getting better, then at the summit there was a killer 360 view of jagged Rocky Mountain peaks in every direction with snowcaps. It was breattaking. The higher altitude also makes you feel a bit euphoric.

I also love the high desert and mountain peaks of New Mexico. There are so many colors and variations of red rocks and alpine peaks. Near Taos Wheeler Peak could compare to a lot of the scenery found in Colorado, and the surrounding high desert creates an endless horizon that is just marvelous. I love the Southern Rockies, love em! Make me wonder what the heck I'm doing here on the east coast.

near Netherland, CO

hiking Mt. Elbert - near Leadville, CO

High Desert & Sangre de Cristos near Abiquiu, NM

Sangre de Cristos near Taos, NM

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-23-2011 at 09:57 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 09:52 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Darn...should have gon with Alaska...But I love Colorado and New Mexicos!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:19 PM

198 posts, read 1,279,087 times
Can't beat the southern rockies. They have some of the most beautiful mountain peaks, as well as some of the more beautiful high desert lands in new mexico and colorado.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Guess I'm the odd man out. I don't especially care for the western mountains. I find most of the pictures posted so far to be visually unappealing to me (except the Netherlands pic, it's nice) because they seem rather forbidding. I prefer the lush and gentler mountains of the Appalachians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City