U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2020, 11:50 AM
 
63,317 posts, read 88,808,481 times
Reputation: 13830

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Oh 100%. I realized we’re both b bias here but this is a no brained.

I’m often shocked t how sprawling, suburban and modern poor performing southern schools are. I Dj t get it, at all.

They’ll have all the kids form the same neighborhood, everyone speaking English or maybe Spanish, community support and still be below schools that look like this or this in Boston that are 100+ years old and falling apart inside with rotted floors, leaky ceilings etc. Then they’ll have the nerve to build a 5,000 seat state of the art football stadium. What are the priorities? I think I. The south the low COL doesn’t make students feel as pressured to go to elite colleges. Also state schools with high acceptance rates are more abundant.

The high immigrant populations of northastern metros probably helps educational outcomes rather than hurts it tbh.
I see what you are saying, but I think the only reason why it can make things tougher is due to the fact that many immigrants/refugees are also trying to assimilate to living in America.

What is crazy and telling, if you go to the Long Island forum, a high school like this is viewed as being average: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000049537

https://data.nysed.gov/gradrate.php?...d=800000049537

Malverne Union Free School District Schools | Malverne Senior High School

A similar and nearby school that is viewed a little more favorably: https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000049569

https://data.nysed.gov/gradrate.php?...d=800000049569

https://www.baldwinschools.org/bhs

While there may be personal sentiments behind that, both would probably be highly regarded in any southern state.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-04-2020 at 12:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2020, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,133 posts, read 4,412,799 times
Reputation: 6266
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Oh 100%. I realized we’re both b bias here but this is a no brained.

I’m often shocked t how sprawling, suburban and modern poor performing southern schools are. I Dj t get it, at all.

They’ll have all the kids form the same neighborhood, everyone speaking English or maybe Spanish, community support and still be below schools that look like this or this in Boston that are 100+ years old and falling apart inside with rotted floors, leaky ceilings etc. Then they’ll have the nerve to build a 5,000 seat state of the art football stadium. What are the priorities? I think I. The south the low COL doesn’t make students feel as pressured to go to elite colleges.Also state schools with high acceptance rates are more abundant.

The high immigrant populations of northastern metros probably helps educational outcomes rather than hurts it tbh.
Please remember that the South is huge, and hardly monolithic. The bolded is quite insulting, especially where I happen to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2020, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
7,571 posts, read 3,074,338 times
Reputation: 4694
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Please remember that the South is huge, and hardly monolithic. The bolded is quite insulting, especially where I happen to live.
Do you really think I meant all areas of the south and everyone in them?

*in general
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2020, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Central New Jersey (prev. Boston, NY, Florida)
3,367 posts, read 1,093,182 times
Reputation: 2822
My 'not so great' public school in Massachusetts was light years ahead of the ritzy suburb I lived in Florida.

In college, I went back to NY and the students were way ahead of me in certain things. I graduated top 10% in my FL HS and took 7 science classes in HS including two AP, but I was still behind.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2020, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,133 posts, read 4,412,799 times
Reputation: 6266
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Do you really think I meant all areas of the south and everyone in them?

*in general
Who knows? General sweeping pronouncements are never a good idea idea for any region though.

What you stated is quite a reach, and if I'm not mistaken you know nothing of the South from personal experience to begin with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2020, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,133 posts, read 4,412,799 times
Reputation: 6266
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
My 'not so great' public school in Massachusetts was light years ahead of the ritzy suburb I lived in Florida.

In college, I went back to NY and the students were way ahead of me in certain things. I graduated top 10% in my FL HS and took 7 science classes in HS including two AP, but I was still behind.
Perhaps if your family had done their due diligence before moving to Lake Nona (of all places) in Metro Orlando, there would have been a different outcome.

There are much better schools and areas to choose from that actually are 'ritzy'.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2020, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Central New Jersey (prev. Boston, NY, Florida)
3,367 posts, read 1,093,182 times
Reputation: 2822
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Perhaps if your family had done their due diligence before moving to Lake Nona (of all places) in Metro Orlando, there would have been a different outcome.

There are much better schools and areas to choose from that actually are 'ritzy'.
Doesnt really hide the fact that Florida Public Schools are way behind.. sorry. Sure there will be exceptions, but generally.. generally.. Public Schools in NY/MA/NJ/CT were wayyy ahead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2020, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,133 posts, read 4,412,799 times
Reputation: 6266
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Doesnt really hide the fact that Florida Public Schools are way behind.. sorry. Sure there will be exceptions, but generally.. generally.. Public Schools in NY/MA/NJ/CT were wayyy ahead.
It is very possible to get a top notch public education in Florida. You have to do your research, just like anywhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2020, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Huntsville Area
1,956 posts, read 604,704 times
Reputation: 2998
Note: I didn't take time to read the above postings.

My cousin lives in the West Houston, Texas suburbs. His son was in a large high school and he would have normally been close to a valedictorian. But that school was filled with the sons and daughters of physicians and engineers from what I would say were "foreigners." He ended up in the 90th percentile, and didn't get the very best college scholarships.

He graduated in electrical engineering and is 4 years into his career--doing great. Clients love working with him because he is a normal person and speaks with a decent southern accent.

The father and his brother had a house the next school district over--where the high school was a football machine. The boy was an incredible field goal kicker--50 yards+ in high school. He ended up with a groin injury that ended his future major league college football career. He just graduated in Computer Engineering.

Very often, the quality of high schools comes down to the motivations and brains of the students. And genetics plays a role too. High achieving parents produce high achieving kids. And $25K private schools are not required when you can find the really great public high schools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2020, 05:05 AM
 
Location: Baltimore
7,571 posts, read 3,074,338 times
Reputation: 4694
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It is very possible to get a top notch public education in Florida. You have to do your research, just like anywhere.
Kids from Florida at my CT college said the same thing. They were behind.

Literally any data show NE metros are far far ahead. So this supported with facts as well as anecdotes. If we’re just gonna make this about cherry picking too southern schools-fine the beat private schools in the country are all in the northeast....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:49 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top