Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 09:57 AM

340 posts, read 320,580 times

Advertisements

I think of all the southern states NC is the cream of the crop with Duke, Wake Forest, UNC Chapel Hill, NC State. GA also has some amazing universities with Emory, GA Tech (an engineering school that rivals MIT, Stanford, U of M) UGA, GSU, Mercer, and all the HBCUs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 10:50 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Duke isnt a state school?

For Public? Id say NC/FL
For Privates? Id say MA

Old 06-05-2020, 11:37 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

For Public? Id say NC/FL
For Privates? Id say MA
Really? Florida? What about UT Austin, TAMU, GA Tech? I thought Florida's university system was mediocre. My classmate from Miami moved to California because UCs were much better than Florida unis.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:40 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
For US News the U Cal's are all highly ranked as well as Georgia Tech. Florida is 57

Old 06-05-2020, 11:47 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
Then again for all the rankings there are articles in the news that if you took a class at Harvard vs Bunker Hill CC you'd never notice a differance

Old 06-05-2020, 12:44 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Really? Florida? What about UT Austin, TAMU, GA Tech? I thought Florida's university system was mediocre. My classmate from Miami moved to California because UCs were much better than Florida unis.
Texas has some great univerisities. I think FL ranks #1 for Public Univerity system. #27 for K-12. Is funny because MA is #1 for K-12, and #27 for Public uni.

Not saying that the ranking is any official measure, but it gives you an idea FL's is top tier. Alongside NC, GA, TX

Old 06-05-2020, 12:53 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Southerners are sensitive.
I'm not a Southerner, I'm from the Midwest and live here by choice.

Quote:
Why would I bother with the fake pleasantries. Obviously the k-12 schoolS in the NE are better. Why do you take that as an affront or personal? I wouldn’t take it personal if you said the COL was better and residential integration and business environment was better in the south. Because those things are true. Why are you even allowing yourself to get upset. Are you a K-13 teacher? I ceded you all have better public universities. Relax.
I'm upset because this goes on all too often with people from your region. Again, what you stated originally that set me off was very presumptive, ignorant and insulting to Southern students.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:56 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

For Public? Id say NC/FL
For Privates? Id say MA
What a minute, you didn't even realize that Duke is private yet you are still providing rankings?

And Georgia's State Schools are much better than Florida's.

Old 06-05-2020, 02:21 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,392,009 times
The state that stands out for public universities is CA. The UC system is incredible, and neither the states in the south nor those in the northeast can compete with that.

The south does have a number of great public universities, though. In Texas I feel like private universities (with the exception of Rice) tend to either be safety schools for rich kids or religious schools, not elite academic institutions. That's definitely a culture difference in comparison to the northeast where private universities are much more common. Still, Texas does offer plenty of opportunities for a high end higher education experience. UT Austin is an elite school in a number of fields, and A&M and UT Dallas have solid STEM programs.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:06 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, while I agree, many of those private and even state schools get quite a few people from the Northeast or were recent transplants from the Northeast(or Midwest). Private universities in the South like Tulane, Duke, Vanderbilt, Miami, etc. get quite a few Jewish students, with many coming from the Northeast.
We were unindated with Northern students in the South in the late 60's, early 70's. For many, it was college or walk point in Vietnam by August of their high school graduation.

Many were Jewish, if that really mattered. But it appeared at that time that the Northeast really didn't have an overabundance of four year colleges, and the Northeastern students in southern colleges were not exactly the cream of the crop.

I was looking at Duke online the other day, and tuition was $73K, not including housing or food. Private colleges could bring a well to do family to their knees and make the father have to work until his 70's.

My friend's wife got a Masters in Sports Management at SMU, and I imagine it's priced about like Duke. I'd hate to be a parent and be dumb enough to shell out that much money for my daughter's physical education degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City