Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 12:35 AM

340 posts, read 316,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
We were unindated with Northern students in the South in the late 60's, early 70's. For many, it was college or walk point in Vietnam by August of their high school graduation.

Many were Jewish, if that really mattered. But it appeared at that time that the Northeast really didn't have an overabundance of four year colleges, and the Northeastern students in southern colleges were not exactly the cream of the crop.

I was looking at Duke online the other day, and tuition was $73K, not including housing or food. Private colleges could bring a well to do family to their knees and make the father have to work until his 70's.

My friend's wife got a Masters in Sports Management at SMU, and I imagine it's priced about like Duke. I'd hate to be a parent and be dumb enough to shell out that much money for my daughter's physical education degree.
Duke is more comparable to Columbia, Yale, Johns Hopkins, etc. than SMU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 02:20 AM

24,503 posts, read 17,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
The state that stands out for public universities is CA. The UC system is incredible, and neither the states in the south nor those in the northeast can compete with that.

The south does have a number of great public universities, though. In Texas I feel like private universities (with the exception of Rice) tend to either be safety schools for rich kids or religious schools, not elite academic institutions. That's definitely a culture difference in comparison to the northeast where private universities are much more common. Still, Texas does offer plenty of opportunities for a high end higher education experience. UT Austin is an elite school in a number of fields, and A&M and UT Dallas have solid STEM programs.
This.

California wins by the sheer number of students in highly selective universities. I think the demographics play a big part. Almost 15% Asian. Cultures that stress education. 5.5 million Asians.

Proportional to state population, it’s probably the Massachusetts private colleges and universities.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:33 AM

24,503 posts, read 17,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Then again for all the rankings there are articles in the news that if you took a class at Harvard vs Bunker Hill CC you'd never notice a differance
The Massachusetts community college system is remedial High School. The only selective programs are health care like RN that have licensing. Otherwise, the professors teach to the level of the students sitting in the seats. Poor reading comprehension. Minimal math skills. Minimal capability for critical thought. You get the occasional top student but they’ll have to re-take some courses when they transfer to a university because they have so many holes in their foundation skills. Particularly the STEM courses.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:38 AM

6,309 posts, read 5,395,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
What a minute, you didn't even realize that Duke is private yet you are still providing rankings?

And Georgia's State Schools are much better than Florida's.
I think that was supposed to be Tongue in Cheek. Ordinarily I always support Duke bashing but the motives behind it here are unsavory.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:13 AM

21,420 posts, read 12,376,083 times
As Geoff D said the Massachusetts community college system really is remedial high school.
The state schools “State University’ system is pretty bad too. But because it serves a pretty high portion of disadvantaged/low income students... only once you get to the ‘UMASS’ schools does it begin to be noteworthy and strong.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:24 AM

13,937 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Not quite...

UNC Chapel Hill is the "Flagship" and original UNC. It's the only one that really goes by "UNC" without saying the city and is the only one considered a "public ivy".

The other UNC-system schools (I.E. all of the public universities in the state of NC) are not, however,"satellite" campuses; they are their own universities with their own charters, chancellors, admissions, graduate/post-doc programs, athletic programs etc... they are just all part of the same larger NC public university system.

Many of them don't even contain "UNC" in their names; East Carolina University, App State, NC State, Western Carolina; all UNC-system schools. UNC Charlotte is also not the largest; that would be NC State in Raleigh.

I see you live in PA which believe has Penn State in State College, PA as the main 4-year campus with many satellite campuses all over the state that are generally two-year schools where students then often transfer-in to College Station campus after the first two years...this is not the same dynamic with public universities in NC.
Thanks for filling me in; I had meant to say that Chapel Hill is the flagship campus. By "largest" I had meant largest of the satellite campuses.

Sounds like the UNC system is more like the University of Missouri system, with a flagship campus in Columbia and three other independently-run four-year campuses: St. Louis (suburbs), Kansas City and Rolla (former Missouri School of Mines & Metallurgy, the technological campus). Two of the other three were already in existence (the University of Kansas City, founded in 1933, as a private institution), and the St. Louis campus was established, when the current system was set up in 1961.

And you have just about accurately described the Penn State system; I say "just about" because I think a few of the two-year satellite campuses have become four-year campuses.

I am, now, a bit confused about the setup in North Carolina.

Both Missouri and Pennsylvania (like California) have a three-tier state higher-ed system: there is (are) the flagship state universities (MU/UMKC/UMSL/UMR in Missouri; the four "state-related" universities - Penn State, Temple, Pitt, Lincoln - in Pennsylvania), and below those, a second-tier university system that evolved out of the state teachers' colleges (the 14 "state-owned" schools of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education in Pennsylvania; the five universities with "State University" in their names in Missouri, though I think the one in Warrensburg, former Central Missouri State, has dropped the "State" from its name; former Southwest Missouri State in Springfield dropped the "Southwest" and Northeast Missouri State renamed itself for Harry S Truman). The third tier in all three states consists of the two-year community colleges.

I'm going to wager that some of those "state university" schools in NC were once teachers' colleges, though I believe NC State is the HBCU. (Or is that NC Central?) Were they?

(Missouri's HBCU is Lincoln, in Jefferson City; I don't know whether it has been incorporated into the MU system or remains a standalone institution. Pennsylvania has one at each tier. Lincoln (in Chester County) in the top tier and Cheyney in the second.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Duke isnt a state school?
Duke is a private university, established and endowed by the family that founded what became the American Tobacco Company (Doris is a descendant).

Last edited by MarketStEl; 06-06-2020 at 08:32 AM..

Old 06-06-2020, 09:32 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,490,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This.

California wins by the sheer number of students in highly selective universities. I think the demographics play a big part. Almost 15% Asian. Cultures that stress education. 5.5 million Asians.

Proportional to state population, it’s probably the Massachusetts private colleges and universities.
You can argue MA alone can take on pretty much any state pound for pound if we're including private schools. It's pretty incredible considering the land area/population size. If you're including the entire New England area with private and specialized schools like Rhode Island School of Design and Berklee College of Music, I'm not sure any other region can compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
As Geoff D said the Massachusetts community college system really is remedial high school.
The state schools “State University’ system is pretty bad too. But because it serves a pretty high portion of disadvantaged/low income students... only once you get to the ‘UMASS’ schools does it begin to be noteworthy and strong.
It's the most competitive region for higher education. I'm not making excuses for the state and community level schools but they aren't going to be able to compete when there's better spots for professors to work in the region. So it's really kind of expected just with the sheer number of great private higher education offered, the public ones don't stand a chance. I honestly don't think there's another area in the country like that which is why it's unique.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:31 PM

1,227 posts, read 787,040 times
These are the current institutions of higher education within the “UNC System,” which I believed was formalized in its current form back in the early 1970’s. Many started out as teacher’s colleges and junior colleges, and it contains numerous HBCU’s, all of which are now four year colleges, many of which are also graduate research universities and professional schools.

1. Appalachian State University, started as a Teachers college
2. East Carolina University, started as a Teachers college
3. Elizabeth City State University, started as a Teachers college, HBCU
4. Fayetteville State University, started as a Teachers college, HBCU
5. North Carolina A&T State University, Agricultural & Mechanical, HBCU
6. North Carolina Central University, started as a Teachers college, HBCU
7. North Carolina State University, Agricultural & Mechanical (NC’s main “Engineering/Tech School”)
8. UNC Asheville, started as a junior college
9. UNC-Chapel Hill (NC’s “flagship” and oldest public liberal arts university)
10. UNC Charlotte (rapidly growing in both liberal arts AND engineering to fill needs left from capacity constraints at UNC-CH and NCSU from population growth).
11. UNC Greensboro, started as a women’s college
12. UNC Pembroke, started as a Teachers college, historically Native American college (Lumbee)
13. UNC Wilmington, former junior college
14. UNC School of the Arts
15. Western Carolina University, started as a Teachers college
16.: Winston-Salem State University, started as a technical Teachers/Nursing college, HBCU

NC has numerous private colleges and universities. The most well known, and which draw nationally, including from the Northeast, may include Duke, Davidson, Wake Forest, Elon, Guilford, Meredith, High Point University (it’s almost a NE country club—more well known up north than down south), Gardner-Webb, Queens, Pfeiffer, and others.

North Carolina probably isn’t the top state for both public and private secondary education, but certainly punches significantly above its weight.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:14 PM

626 posts, read 454,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
What a minute, you didn't even realize that Duke is private yet you are still providing rankings?

And Georgia's State Schools are much better than Florida's.

Florida ranks much higher than Georgia

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education

Old 06-06-2020, 03:22 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,813,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Florida ranks much higher than Georgia

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education
As a former resident, I simply don't believe that Florida is the best in the nation for Universities. No way, no how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City