Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 02:36 PM

626 posts, read 463,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
As a former resident, I simply don't believe that Florida is the best in the nation for Universities. No way, no how.
It's only ranking public schools. But I guess I'll take your word that Georgia has much better public colleges than Florida over the most popular and most comprehensive college ranking publication in the entire world. Ya know, since you used to be a Florida resident and all..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 03:10 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Florida ranks much higher than Georgia

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education

A list like this works against MA for public higher education because of the cost and competitiveness of the region as a whole because of the private schools. I think only parts of CA and NY/NJ deal with something similar.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:42 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
It's only ranking public schools. But I guess I'll take your word that Georgia has much better public colleges than Florida over the most popular and most comprehensive college ranking publication in the entire world. Ya know, since you used to be a Florida resident and all..
Whatever. In the real world meanwhile, there is nothing even in the same Tier as Georgia Tech. Not even close, public or private.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:44 PM

340 posts, read 320,634 times
Quote:
Whatever. In the real world meanwhile, there is nothing even in the same Tier as Georgia Tech. Not even close, public or private.
As I’ve said before, in engineering discussions GA Tech can be seen in the same sentence as MIT, Stanford, University of Michigan, etc. University of Florida is comprable to UGA, and the other Florida Publix’s are no up to the quality of UGA. Also many of those college rankings rate schools based on “value” and other phony criteria.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:55 PM

12,158 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
What a minute, you didn't even realize that Duke is private yet you are still providing rankings?

And Georgia's State Schools are much better than Florida's.
Okay can you stop trolling here... You see that I literally told him Duke wasnt a state school. Geez.. is this what they teach in Georgia? Come on bud, you are better than that.

Also for those comparing California, its simply a debate between Northeast and Southern. But quality of the education is just one indicator. Whats the access to education? Are the schools affordable? How great are the schools at attracting underprivileged minority populations? Theres more factors than the quality of an engineering program, because of an African American kid from a poor neighborhood has little access to the university... then it is not as equitable. I felt NY did this well. Many underprivileged students from the roughest neighborhoods of the Bronx, Buffalo and Rochester attended the school with little (if any) costs whatsoever. Im not 100% sure why FL State Uni's are ranked Top 3...

Old 06-06-2020, 06:02 PM

12,158 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Clover View Post
A list like this works against MA for public higher education because of the cost and competitiveness of the region as a whole because of the private schools. I think only parts of CA and NY/NJ deal with something similar.
I agree here, which is why I think MA excels (Cant top having Harvard and MIT in the same city) in private education. But the UMass and State School system is not good at all. I had the option of going to the UMass system, but I felt the SUNY was a much better option.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:11 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I agree here, which is why I think MA excels (Cant top having Harvard and MIT in the same city) in private education. But the UMass and State School system is not good at all. I had the option of going to the UMass system, but I felt the SUNY was a much better option.
Oh definitely. But if you're coming to Massachusetts as a professor you're probably not looking to settle for the UMass system when you can go teach at BU, BC, Northwestern, Tufts, Brandeis, etc which are all world renowned and top 100 colleges in the entire nation. I think just that alone hurts the public system along with of course just poorly I'm sure it's run. But no other region, not even NY or CA have to deal with that because they don't have that sheer number of top 100 schools in one metro. I don't have data on this but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of kids in MA went to other NE states since places like NH and RI will give in-state tuition to them.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:17 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Okay can you stop trolling here... You see that I literally told him Duke wasnt a state school. Geez.. is this what they teach in Georgia? Come on bud, you are better than that.
Uh, no. Quit twisting things. Your exact words were "Duke isn't a State school?"

That is not even close to telling anyone anything. If you call that trolling, what exactly are they teaching you in College up there?

Quote:
Also for those comparing California, its simply a debate between Northeast and Southern. But quality of the education is just one indicator. Whats the access to education? Are the schools affordable? How great are the schools at attracting underprivileged minority populations? Theres more factors than the quality of an engineering program, because of an African American kid from a poor neighborhood has little access to the university... then it is not as equitable. I felt NY did this well. Many underprivileged students from the roughest neighborhoods of the Bronx, Buffalo and Rochester attended the school with little (if any) costs whatsoever. Im not 100% sure why FL State Uni's are ranked Top 3...
Georgia does a pretty damn good job with the lottery funded HOPE Scholarship. Most States don't have that level of support.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:22 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Clover View Post
Oh definitely. But if you're coming to Massachusetts as a professor you're probably not looking to settle for the UMass system when you can go teach at BU, BC, Northwestern, Tufts, Brandeis, etc which are all world renowned and top 100 colleges in the entire nation. I think just that alone hurts the public system along with of course just poorly I'm sure it's run. But no other region, not even NY or CA have to deal with that because they don't have that sheer number of top 100 schools in one metro. I don't have data on this but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of kids in MA went to other NE states since places like NH and RI will give in-state tuition to them.
Maine dos to. Theses states do this because they have very old populations and need more kids. Ton and tons of MA kids go to school in CT but I doubt they get instate there. But Quinnipiac, UCONN, Trinity, Sacred Heart, University of New Haven, Southern Connecticut State have a lot of MA kids for sure.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:31 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I was looking at Duke online the other day, and tuition was $73K, not including housing or food. Private colleges could bring a well to do family to their knees and make the father have to work until his 70's.

My friend's wife got a Masters in Sports Management at SMU, and I imagine it's priced about like Duke. I'd hate to be a parent and be dumb enough to shell out that much money for my daughter's physical education degree.
The elite private universities also have large endowments that they use to provide generous financial aid packages. Most students attending them get some form of financial aid, which means they don't pay the sticker price for their education.

At some of the top schools, if their families make under a certain amount, they don't pay at all. That's the case if you get into Harvard and your family's income is $68k a year or less. And if it's more than that, you still receive a substantial discount off the sticker price ($67,580 for tuition, fees, room and board in 2018-19).

I believe that four of the eight members of the Ivy League offer this free tuition deal for low- to moderate-income students. I don't know whether Duke does yet, but it's in the class where if it hasn't, it probably will. However, that tuition-alone figure suggests to me that its endowment may not be at the point where it can offer the deal.

FWIW, Harvard's endowment is substantial enough that it could offer free tuition for all if it so chose without doing damage to it.

--MSE, Harvard Class of 1980
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City