Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one would you vacation in?
Seattle 18 46.15%
Vancouver 21 53.85%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 03:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm a long time poster here (duh), and I am making this thread at the request of one of my friends who would like as much information as possible about these two places and how they compare and contrast in terms of "vacationing".

Basically he wants to visit for 3-5 days or so. Lets say the least amount of time being 3 days, and the most being 5 days. So somewhere around that range. But here's the thing. He finds these two to be more alike than different but would only be willing to visit one and not the other, which is where this comparison comes in.

Based on a amazing vacation experience, which one would you recommend he go to?

Criteria:
- Nightlife (Which one tops out?)
- Scenery (which one is absolutely the better here?)
- Safety
- Phenomenal dining scene
- Interesting landmarks
- Recreational activities
- Interesting architecture to see
- Cultural Institutions (Symphony, Opera, Museums, Art Galleries, Theaters, & Music Venues)
- Parks
- Bars
- Hotels
- Transportation (rail, cabs, water taxi, which one is better and more convenient?)
- Anything else I may have missed that is residentially important for a vacation?

Please answer the criteria to the best of your knowledge and please answer to the best of your ability to the question in bold right before the criteria. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 04:12 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,533 times
Tell him/her to go for 5 days. 3 days in one, 2 in the other. Doable and worth it.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:28 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Agreed. They are close enough together that I'd simply stretch the vacation to the max amount of days and see both cities. They're different enough that it would be a shame not to since they're so close. Or better yet, tell him to try to squeeze a couple of more days into that schedule, start in Portland, and do Portland-Seattle-Vancouver in a week.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:34 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
I would do both cities. It's a 3 hr drive from Seattle to Vancouver and back. Amtrak also goes there, there's 3-4 trains a day which go north and same going south. Stunning coastline views as well in the train, especially during sunrise and sunset.

I would say nightlife in Seattle is markedly different from Vancouver. THere's more large clubs and a more vibrant club scene in Vancouver, whereas there's lots of bars in Seattle and small-time clubs/dance clubs.

One other thing to keep in mind is that both cities are very liveable and walkable. Vancouver is more urban and big city feeling. The government intervened and basically made the city the way it is. Private enterprise did the same in Seattle. Vancouver also has some pretty rough and tumble areas, especially on the East side. Seattle doesn't have a bad area that you should avoid, some sketchy, but nowhere you'd feel unsafe.

One thing to keep in mind is Vancouver will be more expensive because the CAD is parity with the USD and taxes are higher in BC, though, if he saves his receipts he can mail them to the Canadian government and get his tax money partially refunded. Most of the time it isn't worth it though.

While he's in Seattle I recommend taking a ferry to one of the islands, or take the Victoria Clipper to Victoria, BC. It's worth it. visit the mountains and go skiing. Check out the eclectic neighborhoods in both cities.

It should be a great vacation ... but at this time of year kind of dreary and grey and drizzly, and Vancouver is kinda colder.

If you're dead set on ONE city and crave answers to your questions ...

- Nightlife (Which one tops out?) Vancouver edges ahead, Seattle's no slouch
- Scenery (which one is absolutely the better here?) Tied
- Safety Seattle
- Phenomenal dining scene I think Seattle, though others may have different opinions
- Interesting landmarks Seattle ... private enterprise has kept local neighborhoods unique. Also, can't beat the Cascades and Boeing tour, and Pike Place Market.
- Recreational activities What kind? Outdoors? Indoors? Need specifics.
- Interesting architecture to see I think Vancouver.
- Cultural Institutions (Symphony, Opera, Museums, Art Galleries, Theaters, & Music Venues) Tied
- Parks depends ... want one BIG one? Vancouver. Many small ones? Seattle.
- Bars Seattle
- Hotels Both have excellent, high quality hotels. Seattle will be cheaper.
- Transportation (rail, cabs, water taxi, which one is better and more convenient?)

Seattle has the light rail from the airport (Sea-Tac) to downtown which costs $1.50 one way, much cheaper than $45 taking a cab to downtown. Seattle also has free zones downtown on the buses. Bus service to the nearby neighborhoods is very good and transport clean. You can take a water taxi from downtown to West Seattle which has awesome views and California Ave, which is pretty cool.

Vancouver I can't really comment on because I've always driven around there. I would imagine they have pretty good bus service.

Cabs in both places are typically expensive.

- Anything else I may have missed that is residentially important for a vacation?

Residentially? LOL, not quite sure what you mean, but ... the biggest thing to remember is that I think they require passports to go into and returning from Canada now, so don't forget it! Also remember that even in Vancouver, people really disdain Americans coming up and saying it "feels like the 51st state." My little bro said that when I took him there and OH BOY it felt ODD feeling those stares. Just remember that while culturally it's similar to the USA, it is a different place.

OH YEAH, and they go by the metric system there. So, use km/h while driving and use the 3/1 ratio, meaning, 3 ft / meter and ~5000 ft / mile when judging distance while driving and walking.

Last edited by eskercurve; 01-29-2011 at 10:46 AM..

Old 01-29-2011, 01:56 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,418 times
If you plan to go skiing or hiking at all, Vancouver is the best pick.

Also, when you mention the dining scene, it varies by the type of cuisine. Metro Vancouver probably has the best mainland Chinese cuisine in all of the Americas, though you'll want to travel down into Richmond and the No. 3 Road area to take advantage of all that, while Seattle seems to have a wider and deeper variety of European-oriented cuisines (French, for example).

In any case, I'd recommend browsing through the online editions of the local entertainment newspapers in both cities, scanning through the listings, and seeing what might interest you the most.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:44 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,146 times
This is a tough call but I'd go with Seattle, although it would be a shame not to head up to Vancouver for a couple of days. It's hard to say about bars, clubs and activities since it depends on what a person's after. But I think Seattle would offer as much plus some of the classic attractions we all recognize like Pike Place.

My very favorite place is a private residence, and it's been years since I've been so I don't know if he's still doing tours these days, but Steve's Weird House is a clincher for me.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:47 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,021 times
Vancouver

Old 01-29-2011, 03:01 PM

381 posts, read 861,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I would do both cities. It's a 3 hr drive from Seattle to Vancouver and back. Amtrak also goes there, there's 3-4 trains a day which go north and same going south. Stunning coastline views as well in the train, especially during sunrise and sunset.

I would say nightlife in Seattle is markedly different from Vancouver. THere's more large clubs and a more vibrant club scene in Vancouver, whereas there's lots of bars in Seattle and small-time clubs/dance clubs.

One other thing to keep in mind is that both cities are very liveable and walkable. Vancouver is more urban and big city feeling. The government intervened and basically made the city the way it is. Private enterprise did the same in Seattle. Vancouver also has some pretty rough and tumble areas, especially on the East side. Seattle doesn't have a bad area that you should avoid, some sketchy, but nowhere you'd feel unsafe.

One thing to keep in mind is Vancouver will be more expensive because the CAD is parity with the USD and taxes are higher in BC, though, if he saves his receipts he can mail them to the Canadian government and get his tax money partially refunded. Most of the time it isn't worth it though.

While he's in Seattle I recommend taking a ferry to one of the islands, or take the Victoria Clipper to Victoria, BC. It's worth it. visit the mountains and go skiing. Check out the eclectic neighborhoods in both cities.

It should be a great vacation ... but at this time of year kind of dreary and grey and drizzly, and Vancouver is kinda colder.

If you're dead set on ONE city and crave answers to your questions ...

- Nightlife (Which one tops out?) Vancouver edges ahead, Seattle's no slouch
- Scenery (which one is absolutely the better here?) Tied
- Safety Seattle
- Phenomenal dining scene I think Seattle, though others may have different opinions
- Interesting landmarks Seattle ... private enterprise has kept local neighborhoods unique. Also, can't beat the Cascades and Boeing tour, and Pike Place Market.
- Recreational activities What kind? Outdoors? Indoors? Need specifics.
- Interesting architecture to see I think Vancouver.
- Cultural Institutions (Symphony, Opera, Museums, Art Galleries, Theaters, & Music Venues) Tied
- Parks depends ... want one BIG one? Vancouver. Many small ones? Seattle.
- Bars Seattle
- Hotels Both have excellent, high quality hotels. Seattle will be cheaper.

Seattle has the light rail from the airport (Sea-Tac) to downtown which costs $1.50 one way, much cheaper than $45 taking a cab to downtown. Seattle also has free zones downtown on the buses. Bus service to the nearby neighborhoods is very good and transport clean. You can take a water taxi from downtown to West Seattle which has awesome views and California Ave, which is pretty cool.

Vancouver I can't really comment on because I've always driven around there. I would imagine they have pretty good bus service.

Cabs in both places are typically expensive.

Residentially? LOL, not quite sure what you mean, but ... the biggest thing to remember is that I think they require passports to go into and returning from Canada now, so don't forget it! Also remember that even in Vancouver, people really disdain Americans coming up and saying it "feels like the 51st state." My little bro said that when I took him there and OH BOY it felt ODD feeling those stares. Just remember that while culturally it's similar to the USA, it is a different place.

OH YEAH, and they go by the metric system there. So, use km/h while driving and use the 3/1 ratio, meaning, 3 ft / meter and ~5000 ft / mile when judging distance while driving and walking.
Vancouver has a larger and more consistant walkable, pedestrian friendly environment, but Seattle has a lot more character and variety.

As for nightlife, I prefer Seattle. Nightlife hubs like 12th and Pike, Belltown, or Ballard offer a greater range of experiences and generally feels less corporate than Granville or Gastown. Although Vancouver clearly has Seattle beat in the club department.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Take a week and see them both. They are close enough that, unless you really, really hate driving so much that you couldn't bear the three-hour drive, spending a few days in one and a few days in the other shouldn't be too much of an issue and you could experience the best both have to offer.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:37 AM

175 posts, read 227,269 times
I would say to do both. However, if this person only has time for one then Vancouver is the best choice between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City