Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has best transit in Sunbelt
Atlanta 35 49.30%
Houston 3 4.23%
Miami 2 2.82%
New Orleans 1 1.41%
Dallas 5 7.04%
LA 17 23.94%
Charolett 0 0%
Austin 0 0%
Las Vegas 2 2.82%
Orlando 0 0%
San Deigo 5 7.04%
Jacksonville 1 1.41%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:22 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Yep you are correct, there is no direct rail connection. Currently the Metro Green Line runs to the LAX/Aviation Green Line station that is along the southern runways of LAX. Passengers get off here and board free shuttles that run between the terminals and station. It is a 2.4 mile drive. LAX will be connected in the future by a people mover to the 2018 Crenshaw Line's LAX/Imperial station. The FAA has killed light rail directly into the airport at LAX due to "sight lines of an above ground system" affecting airport operations and terrorism.

The most successful way to get to LAX on public transit currently is the "Flyaway Bus system" with four routes between LAX and Westwood Village, Downtown/Union Station, Van Nuys, and Irvine (Orange County). The ironic thing is the Flyaway is actually faster than rail would be usually to most destinations people want to go. Heading downtown??? Flyaway Buses take about 30-45 minutes even with traffic. You are looking at least 45 minutes on the light rail.

I would like to see the Flyaway Bus system expanded. Its cheap, fast, clean, and drops you right off at your terminal. They even have wifi included on the $5-$7 one way trips. Flyaway is currently looking at adding a 5th route to Hollywood.

Flyaway Terminal/Station in Van Nuys (San Fernando Valley)

Flyaway Bus at Union Station in Downtown

Flyaway is funded by Los Angeles World Airports
It's a pretty cool setup. Too bad about the LRT not being able to reach the terminals.

MARTA could certainly be better, but its ability to take you on a single seat ride from inside the terminal to four of our five business centers is the best part of the system, in my opinion. It's hard to beat that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 08:23 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,936,278 times
Atlanta

Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
First of all this I DID NOT SAY I DIRECT LINE plus this was a debate between MASS transit in which you can no matter how long it takes get to L.A. From San Deigo. YOU CAN. Point Blank. That was the arguement until YOU made Amtrack apart of this?

Second Reguardless of a RAIL they have MAss Transit Connections to the Airport. i.E. BUS Point Blank.
Calm down, kid. POINT BLANK.

I was the under the impression you claimed LAX was served by rail. Hell, you can take Lynx to Orlando International - doesn't mean anyone would though.

If you have half a day to spend to go the 110 miles from L.A. to San Diego on Metrolink & The Cosaster, be my guest. The people on Amtrak would get there hours before you would, without having to get off and wait for another train. You also claimed there was NO connection from Atlanta to Birmingham, which there is - Amtrak.

Last edited by johnatl; 01-02-2011 at 08:57 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 PM

6,619 posts, read 9,827,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Atlanta View Post
I would say Atlanta, though Miami may be a close second if not equal since it does cover a decent amount and has a downtown loop for the rail. Dallas would be close if there was actually some rail in FT Worth and not just Dallas.
Fort Worth has their own transit system.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 PM

6,186 posts, read 11,790,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I traveled from the future and LA is looking awful nice, Taco Bell is the only restaurant, and the state of Georgia still won't fund MARTA.
Yes, and the LA/SD metro area is combined to be San Angeles. There is no more crime, but you cannot curse or you'll have to pay a fine. You also cannot have physical contact with a woman, you have use virtual reality helmets, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSQQST View Post
Yes, but Los Angeles and San Diego are major multi million population metropolitan areas with low crime rates. And they are separated by the multimillion population of Orange County also historically low crime rates.

Atlanta and Birmingham are provincial capitals with NOTHING in between them. You could not even compare them with glamorous cities like LA and San Diego which also have natural scene beauty like the ocean and tall mountains between them. Atlanta and Birmingham are surrounded by ugly cotton fields and inbred rednecks.
Yes, the Los Angeles and San Diego metro area is just like the Tokyo/Yokohama metro area. A lot of business people commute back and forth between LA and SD everyday, and you can see plenty of short skirted and heeled clad OL's (office ladies) on the trains. I want to live in California since I love Japan so much .

But seriously, what relevance do crime rates and scenery have to do with the availability of commuter lines/Amtrak?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:17 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,174,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

I was the under the impression you claimed LAX was served by rail. Hell, you can take Lynx to Orlando International - doesn't mean anyone would though.

If you have half a day to spend to go the 110 miles from L.A. to San Diego on Metrolink & The Cosaster, be my guest. The people on Amtrak would get there hours before you would, without having to get off and wait for another train. You also claimed there was NO connection from Atlanta to Birmingham, which there is - Amtrak.
Amtrack is NOT Mass Transit. So there is no Mass Transit Connection to Birmingham. and I chose Birmingham because its the closest next MAJOR city to Atlanta.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:27 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,255,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Taking into account all of their respective sizes and riderships for their size. I would definitely say Atlanta makes more impact into its community with its transit system than any of the others do to their communities overall.

In my opinion, I think Los Angeles, Dallas-Fort Worth, & Atlanta are making the greatest strides for better transit systems also.
DANNYY, what about Charlotte? LOL. But I agree with you. I think Atlanta is doing it's dang thang when it comes to mass transit, and is definitely the leader of this poll. I think MARTA gets an unfair rep on this forum.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 PM

13,677 posts, read 15,574,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
DANNYY, what about Charlotte? LOL. But I agree with you. I think Atlanta is doing it's dang thang when it comes to mass transit, and is definitely the leader of this poll. I think MARTA gets an unfair rep on this forum.
People only bash Marta when someone tries to compare it to systems that are way ahead of it. I think certain things on this forum should not be compared because they aren't fair comparisons. DC metro and New York Subway probably shouldn't be compared to any other systems in the country based on ridership alone.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:51 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,255,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
People only bash Marta when someone tries to compare it to systems that are way ahead of it. I think certain things on this forum should not be compared because they aren't fair comparisons. DC metro and New York Subway probably shouldn't be compared to any other systems in the country based on ridership alone.
While I see your point, I have to disagree with you slightly. I would say only NYC is head and shoulders above all systems. And from what I hear, Chicago as well. Think about DC like this, with all of the mass transit options, it's traffic is still no better than Atlanta's. And also, I'm not that convinced that DC is that superior, but I'd be interested in seeing the data that would support this claim.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

The Amtrak train is called the Pacific Surfliner. From downtown LA to San Diego takes about 2 hours and 30 minutes. It does stop in about 7 cities and only gets up to 90mph on the stretch from San Juan Capistrano to Oceanside when it goes thru Camp Pendleton. At that point it is actually going faster than freeway traffic. But during rush hours the Surfliner is a faster mode of transportation and a whole lot more fun than driving. When the high-speed rail is constructed it will take less than an hour from San Diego to Los Angeles.

I never understood why the Green Line stopped over a mile from LAX But if it is a security issue how come the BART train from SFO connects to downtown San Francisco? Does anyone know if the train in Atlanta can be accessed from the Atlanta airport and then directly into downtown Atlanta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City