Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 03:30 PM

276 posts, read 432,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPits312 View Post
The Green Line in Chicago goes trough the worst parts of the city. So it's the most dangerous I'd bet.

My personal opinion though is that the Yellow Line in Chicago is the worst. It doesn't go anywhere! It's a line with literally only one stop to a really random part of the area. So it's the worst I'd say.
Yeah the Skokie swift is quite an out of place line, its more like a shuttle.
Another thing, I notice that CTA has a lot of at grade crossings on it el routes on the outskirts of the city, doesn't this pose as city security hazard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Inc. View Post
Yeah the Skokie swift is quite an out of place line, its more like a shuttle.
Another thing, I notice that CTA has a lot of at grade crossings on it el routes on the outskirts of the city, doesn't this pose as city security hazard?
Terriosm is unlikely , however idiots and drunks wandered onto the system is common issue form what i heard. But there are gates that close off the EL area after a train has passed through.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:12 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
I'll nominate all of the lines of the San Jose light rail system. The entire system is so slow, and so pointless. The lines are random. They go from nowhere to nowhere, running through Downtown San Jose. Which has got to be one of the most dead Downtown areas, that I've ever seen in any major city. The rider ship I believe is about the worst of any major light rail system in the US. Probably because, in most all cases you could ride a local bus and get to your destination faster, then riding the light rail.

The commuter rail here is a lot better, but doesn't live up to it potential either. Since it's never been electrified, and it uses slow old diesel locomotives, making lots of stops.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:21 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I'll nominate all of the lines of the San Jose light rail system. The entire system is so slow, and so pointless. The lines are random. They go from nowhere to nowhere, running through Downtown San Jose. Which has got to be one of the most dead Downtown areas, that I've ever seen in any major city. The rider ship I believe is about the worst of any major light rail system in the US. Probably because, in most all cases you could ride a local bus and get to your destination faster, then riding the light rail.

The commuter rail here is a lot better, but doesn't live up to it potential either. Since it's never been electrified, and it uses slow old diesel locomotives, making lots of stops.

There needs to be more TOD around the stations......then ridership will go up. As for the Caltrans , your trains are average speed. How much faster do you want? If you want faster then tell the Eastern Bay towns and cities to opposing the CHSR....but its unlikely to speed anything up....other then acceleration.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
In Manhattan, the C seems to have the worst service. The 4 & 5 have very frequent service. Unfortunately, there is often barely room to stand.

L and 7 can be similar during rush hours.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
In Manhattan, the C seems to have the worst service. The 4 & 5 have very frequent service. Unfortunately, there is often barely room to stand.

L and 7 can be similar during rush hours.
The D.C. metro red and orange lines are the same way. In fact, sometimes the trains are so crowded you can't get on them.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The D.C. metro red and orange lines are the same way. In fact, sometimes the trains are so crowded you can't get on them.
I've heard someone say that has happened in NYC, like people have to wait for several trains for one with space. Are the red and orange lines at capacity for rush hour?

According to wikipedia, the 4/5/6 (they all run together in Manhattan) line has a higher ridership than the entire D.C Metro. (1.3 million riders on the 4/5/6)

Old 01-04-2011, 07:43 AM

276 posts, read 432,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I've heard someone say that has happened in NYC, like people have to wait for several trains for one with space. Are the red and orange lines at capacity for rush hour?

According to wikipedia, the 4/5/6 (they all run together in Manhattan) line has a higher ridership than the entire D.C Metro. (1.3 million riders on the 4/5/6)
well the 4/5/6 can carry much more passengers because they have express trackage. When metro was built it wasn't designed for population growth like the DC area is experiencing now, so the red line and western branch of the orange line are now at capacity.

like trains really do be looking like this at rush hour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kTuCOt7sR0

Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Metro just needs to add more cars to its fleet. 6 car trains for special, big-time events in that city(don't care if it's a weekend) is downright stupid. There's room for at least 7. Either that or skip-stop service.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:38 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
Green line in Chicago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdffJXF-wMQ

We got these guys taking out the trash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpsQ8...eature=related

The redline going south can get crazy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aQKD...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City