Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 09:54 PM

22 posts, read 21,647 times

Advertisements

1. NYC

Quote:
No contest, really. With more than 20,000 restaurants and eateries — and an increasing number of really good food carts — NYC rules, not least because New Yorkers and 35 million visitors are willing to spend the money for the best and because expense-account breakfasts and lunches drive a phenomenal amount of restaurant business. It was at the Four Seasons, opened in 1959, that the term "power lunch" was coined by Esquire; the "power breakfast" started at the Regency Hotel. The tradition of great food (at sometimes-towering prices) continues with remarkable new openings including Osteria Morini, Lambs Club, Compose, Ciano, and ABC Kitchen (pictured above). Then there's Eataly, the sprawling new food hall that draws daily crowds that rival those at MoMA or Yankee Stadium.
2. Chicago

Quote:
Chicagoans love to eat with abandon and refuse to be gouged by the bill. So you almost always get a square meal for a square deal, now more than ever with the rise to eminence of the gastro-pubs like Longman & Eagle, the Purple Pig, Avec, the Girl & the Goat, and the Bristol, each with its own swagger and exaltation of charcuterie culture.
3. SF

Quote:
Even if you don't accept San Franciscans' insistence that the stellar restaurants of Napa and Sonoma Valleys are part of their gastronomic landscape, no city (except New Orleans, below) is more serious about its food and wine than San Francisco. It was here that the New American Cuisine movement was born at Chez Panisse in Berkeley, where Mediterranean was married to Northern California provender at places like Piperade, where Cal-Ital took flight at Oliveto and Quince, where vegetarian food was lifted beyond its polemics at Green's, and where Asian cuisines have flourished ever since the Chinese emigrated here in the 19th century.
4. New Orleans
5. Los Angeles
6. Las Vegas
7. Houston
8. DC
9. Boston
10. Seattle

Best Restaurant Cities - The Best Restaurant Cities in America 2010 - Esquire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
This thread makes me hungry. Too bad all the restaurants listed are extremely expensive.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
This thread makes me hungry. Too bad all the restaurants listed are extremely expensive.
Eh that's not true, Purple Pig in Chicago is reasonable...or of course all the Chinese options in SF. No surprises here, I think I'd put LA above NO though...but that's just me. It doesn't have the variety as the others, but probably the #1 signature cuisine.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:58 PM

308 posts, read 758,013 times
In Chicago's description, let's not forget that Restaurant Magazine recently ranked Chicago's Alinea as the No. 7 restaurant in the world and the No. 1 restaurant in North America.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Eh that's not true, Purple Pig in Chicago is reasonable...or of course all the Chinese options in SF. No surprises here, I think I'd put LA above NO though...but that's just me. It doesn't have the variety as the others, but probably the #1 signature cuisine.
Yeah. Amazing food in NO, but it seems the city lacks in variety compared to the other cities. I'd place Houston above it as well.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:20 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That's cool. I just figured that the best restaurants are also the most expensive. But to me anything over $25 is expensive!

Old 01-02-2011, 11:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah. Amazing food in NO, but it seems the city lacks in variety compared to the other cities. I'd place Houston above it as well.
Yeah I could see that. NO might have more bang on a few restaurants at the upper echelon if you were there for a weekend, but Houston probably is higher caliber and more well rounded at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City