Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state has the most urban sprawl?
North Carolina 12 4.36%
Virgina 5 1.82%
Flordia 26 9.45%
California 87 31.64%
Texas 101 36.73%
Tennesee 4 1.45%
Georgia 27 9.82%
Other (state why below) 13 4.73%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:52 PM

26 posts, read 49,208 times

Advertisements

What states do you think have the most urban sprawl?

My list includes:

North Carolina
Virgina
Georgia
Texas
Florida
Tennessee
California
Any other state I can't think of...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,191 times
Right off the bat I'd say California, hands down. That whole Southern California Metro just sprawls and sprawls for miles. There's downtown L.A., and a few more dense urban areas here and there, but for the most part it's freeways and less dense development all over the place.

Texas also has some pretty bad sprawl, especially in Houston, but nothing so bad. I've heard that Southern Florida around the Miami area also sprawls, but I personally have never been there. I'm not so sure about the other states...

Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 PM

292 posts, read 752,248 times
Texas has the most sprawling cities proper, California has the most sprawling metro areas.

California's cities - San Francisco, Oakland, San Diego, even Los Angeles, Sacramento, and San Jose are all more urban and dense in character than Texas' major cities. Within city boundaries Texas cities are far more sprawling and less dense than California cities. BUT California's metro areas sprawl on indefinitely, much more than Texas.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:43 PM

381 posts, read 861,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
Texas has the most sprawling cities proper, California has the most sprawling metro areas.

California's cities - San Francisco, Oakland, San Diego, even Los Angeles, Sacramento, and San Jose are all more urban and dense in character than Texas' major cities. Within city boundaries Texas cities are far more sprawling and less dense than California cities. BUT California's metro areas sprawl on indefinitely, much more than Texas.
This.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:17 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,808,427 times
Like someone stated already, CA metros sprawl like no other, but TX cities (within city limits) sprawl like no other... Then comes GA.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:45 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,763,491 times
I'm going to suggest Tennessee, so they aren't left out. Their cities aren't as big in population, so they aren't quite large geographically as their larger counterparts in GA and TX, but they are sprawled like crazy. They have some of the longest commutes in the nation. Nashville is a great example.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:25 AM

711 posts, read 1,143,059 times
California is a large state with the most sprawling cities.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Agreed on CA and TX.

VA, however, must have the most sprawl with the least amount of dense urban cores to help balance things out. NoVA is just urban sprawl with no true center. Hampton Roads has approx 5 cities, none of which are really true urban cores to the whole area (and this sprawl seems to go forever...and with the tunnels and bridges, it creates some nasty traffic issues).

Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times
California by far. I have never seen a place so ugly, why do people like living in identical houses out there??

Old 01-04-2011, 10:21 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,499,756 times
I can't believe nobody has written about Arizona, that is a state that probably has more sprawl per capita than any other state.

Phoenix alone was built on outward urban expansion, and many people believe that is one of the nation's largest cities that looks like a huge suburban area.

Nearly all of Phoenix's suburban cities encompass a large amount of square miles with sprawling development in massive quantities, with maybe the exception of Tempe.

Tucson is no exception, a smaller version of Phoenix.

Even smaller Arizona cities like Flagstaff, Yuma, and Prescott are in no shortage of sprawling development.

I think the suburban lifestyle is what most people prefer though, that could explain why Arizona and many other western and southern states have seen the greatest population explosion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City