Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer more?
Northern California + Pacific Northwest + British Columbia (Canada) 78 57.78%
Southern California + Desert Southwest + Baja California (Mexico) 50 37.04%
Neither 1 0.74%
Other 6 4.44%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:04 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times

Advertisements

Does Southern California really have issues to a great extent with water shortages in the horizon? With the way the Inland Empire is going, its going to overtake San Francisco/Oakland MSA in a year or two, Detroit MSA in 3 years, & Bostom MSA in 5 years, shouldn't water be of a main concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 10:06 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
I just discoverd this poll. It's interesting, but I think the regions are way to big to lump together. I'd do PNW+BC vs. Desert SW+Baja vs. California. San Jose has a lot more in common with Orange County (suburban sprawl, demographic, climate, vegetation, architecture) than either place does with, say, Vancouver or Albuquerque. You could be in many cities all over California and have very similar impressions, which would be distinctly "Californian." While NorCal has the Sierras and the North Coast, and SoCal has the Imperial Valley deserts, I get hung up on the similarity of the majority of the cities, which are sort of in between both extremes.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:17 AM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
over all Northern California + Oregon= So Cal. but Washington= BC> Baja California.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:13 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
I find it hilarious when people are so quick to bash SoCal for "trying to be trensetters" and superficial, and then claim they like San Francisco. SF has so many fake liberal yuppies, status whores, scenesters, and people trying to act "hip". Please spare me with the "it's only in SoCal" crap.

You seem to be having this "superficial" attitude you so blantantly labeled for Southern California. You have this "Seattle is so much better than you" attitude that it is absolutely laughable that you think anything you say is credible. We all have different tastes. A city is still a great place even if it doesn't start trends. I love my hometown of San Diego and don't give a flying f*ck how important or not important it is to America. i don't care about stupid stuck up bullsh"t like you do.

I will take palm trees, hot women, entertainment, sun, and diversity, over cold, gloomy, rainy, depressing, cold hearted, Seattle.

get over it.
Seattle does get warm y'know

Old 09-01-2012, 09:21 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
I find it hilarious when people are so quick to bash SoCal for "trying to be trensetters" and superficial, and then claim they like San Francisco. SF has so many fake liberal yuppies, status whores, scenesters, and people trying to act "hip". Please spare me with the "it's only in SoCal" crap.
You're just really lucky you live in San Diego, otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to put your ridiculousness in its rightful place.

You don't sound like you've been to San Francisco before and if you have, you sound awfully jealous of it.
Quote:
You seem to be having this "superficial" attitude you so blantantly labeled for Southern California. You have this "Seattle is so much better than you" attitude that it is absolutely laughable that you think anything you say is credible. We all have different tastes. A city is still a great place even if it doesn't start trends. I love my hometown of San Diego and don't give a flying f*ck how important or not important it is to America. i don't care about stupid stuck up bullsh"t like you do.

I will take palm trees, hot women, entertainment, sun, and diversity, over cold, gloomy, rainy, depressing, cold hearted, Seattle.

get over it.
Doesn't sound like you enjoy your life nor does it sound like you have a shot at scoring with any of those hot women.

I'm going with other. You cant lose in this comparison. You just cant lose.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:23 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
I think the summer weather in those northern places are much nicer than the summer weather down south. it gets very hot in the places mentioned in the southern areas, though you can cool off in the beautiful beaches there. While the coastline is gorgeous up in the Pacific Northwest (I consider NorCal to be part of that area) and BC, the water is too cold to use for the beach. I hate clouds, but it is better to have cleaner air and more rain. It makes everything lush, and as much as I love the desert scenery, I think smog and drought are HUGE problems down here. All in all, I think vacationing up north is great, but it is better to live in the Desert Southwest/Baja/Southern California.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 PM

192 posts, read 411,823 times
I picked other, because I prefer the Southwest without Baja California. It just doesn't seem like a good place. I may be wrong, but I've heard that it's one of the worst areas in Mexico due to the ongoing drug violence.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreatforlife View Post
I picked other, because I prefer the Southwest without Baja California. It just doesn't seem like a good place. I may be wrong, but I've heard that it's one of the worst areas in Mexico due to the ongoing drug violence.
Current events aside, Baja is one of the wildest, longest, and most beautiful stretches of Pacific coastline in North America.

Where the desert meets the sea.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:30 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
If you like LA, then you probably won't like Seattle... if you like Seattle, you probably won't like LA. They're such different cities.

That said, people in Seattle were definitely more fake than people in LA. Flakier and the politeness was just on the surface. People often think that Los Angelenos are "fake" because they seem to be over-the-top friendly and enthusiastic compared to places like Seattle, but that's the thing - they're being genuine. They're just more outgoing and extroverted. Some people can't deal with this, but I like the energy it lends to the place.

Have fun eating at Dick's
I love both cities. Lived in Seattle and now LA. I think you can love cities that are completely different. The people in Seattle are genuinely friendly in my experiences.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:58 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
How about both?

I love the Western half of North America. As soon as the situation in Mexico clears up a bit more, I'm considering investing there considering that its the 2nd largest Latin American economy after Brazil, and is rapidly making the jump from destitution to a middle class economy.

Shame the cartels have pretty much had a grip on the place momentarily stopping rapid GDP growth, but that won't last forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City