Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:55 PM

9 posts, read 29,556 times

Advertisements

For someone who's not got problems with money, etc... Most people say California (esp. L.A. or S.F.) though the weather is much nicer in Miami, with great housing, etc... Tell me your choice and REASONS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 04:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Weather is nicer in Miami? Eh... I'd say the opposite. The only thing nicer about miami is white beaches and warm water.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:17 PM

606 posts, read 354,510 times
Summer in Miami is pretty uncomfortable to be straight up with you. Not fun to start sweating as soon as you turn the shower off (before you've even grabbed your towel to step out).

Old 01-05-2011, 04:34 PM

260 posts, read 757,353 times
Miami doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. But San Francisco does.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,498 times
Because California is the best

Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Weather is nicer in Miami? Having lived there for several years, I say no way. I am also familiar with CA, having relatives in SF and San Diego. No place in CA do they have the 9-month steambath that Miami calls summer. The climate in the coastal areas of CA is pleasant year-round.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:09 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Cali has better weather. Miami has better water and air. I mean, it's hard to compare a city to a state anyway.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:13 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Only 1 reason I would live in Cali as opposed to Miami: O Wait I lied.

I Love Cali but Miami has everything you could want in a city.
Plus Miami is one of the more unique places in the South I'll take that over any traditional city. The weather is just fine, I prefer Floridas weather over earthquakes anyway.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:25 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Cali has better weather. Miami has better water and air. I mean, it's hard to compare a city to a state anyway.
I always scratch my head as to why people say California has better weather than Miami.

Sure, Florida is very humid, but Miami doesn't have a winter. Los Angeles, San Francisco, and nearly all of California HAVE winter.

Most winter days in the mid to upper 60s with lows in the mid to lower 40s don't really stack up as better weather than Miami, which has highs in the upper 70s/low 80s and lows in the low 60s.

California also has earthquakes (you know, the natural disasters that you can't escape from) and droughts/water issues.

To top it off, I'll add that I prefer the Miami area to LA any day.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
^^^^The past couple winters have brought freezing temps to Miami, FYI (atypical though, most of FL does not freeze let alone Miami).

Miami and Orlando also have major water issues. I guess you have to live in the place to know that one; wouldn't expect someone from Indiana who visits to know that for all those tropical plants all over the state, most areas have watering restrictions or bans nowadays because of drought and fresh water supply issues.

Miami is pleasant for part of November through part of March, and then you can expect what most people would consider summer. The actual summer months are pretty brutal. That's 8 months of fairly extreme weather.

Southern California has a much more uniform climate throughout the year. It has more sunshine, never freezes, and along the coast it rarely gets super super hot. That, to me, is much more ideal. Oh, did I mention that humidity is almost non-existent? Humidity in Florida is literally hard to get used to for those who have not grown up there. There is no weather in SoCal that is hard to get used to. The only thing hard to get used to is the colder Pacific.

Also, most buildings nowadays are meant to withstand an earthquake and won't topple. Most new commercial construction and most new upscale homes can withstand any hurricane with minor damage (well flooding isn't minor, but windows and shingles blown off is coming out good). I would rather suffer through no electricity in California's weather than 2-4 weeks of no electricity in FL's 90 degree 100% humidity days and 75-80 degree nights. Have you ever been in a hurricane? You just sit in bed and sweat yourself to sleep. Water is everywhere. There is no driving anywhere because trees and power lines are down everywhere. You take baths in the pool. You have hotdogs and hamburgers 3 meals a day. Generators are turned on everywhere so it sounds like the mothership is finally coming. School is cancelled so you have nothing to do. Predictable, yes, pleasant, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City