Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NJ or CA
NJ 63 73.26%
CA 23 26.74%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
What malls? We in NYC don't even have proper malls for you to stay away from. By the way, people in NJ who get paper in NYC still pay NYC income taxes, not NJ taxes. Just sayin. And come on, we all know why people move to NJ, and its not about "getting paper". Its because they either cannot afford to live in NYC or they're raising a family.
Trust me, go to the Garden State Plaza around the holidays and tell me how many NY plates you see in the parking lots. No sales tax on clothing bub. Paramus grosses more annual retail than any other zip code in the nation. Yes.. Including the zip codes across NYC.
They're also almost finish with the Meadolands Mall in East Rutherford next to the Meadowlands stadium (with an indoor ski slope and the biggest ferris wheel in the world) while also claiming the title as the biggest mall in America- Tell me NYers and NYC tourist alike won't take interest in that?

I even saw it on "The Nanny".. After she was done shopping in NY, she then screamed "NEXT STOP, JERSEEYYYY" (since we're talking about the media )

Last edited by BPerone201; 01-12-2011 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 01:52 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
and South Jersey = Hicks.
Yes, I'm a hick. STOP STEREOTYPING. You're all about being accepted even though you're "different" in some way. If that's the case, why do you insist on stereotyping other people. I really don't get what your deal is.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:58 PM

35 posts, read 75,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I agree - Connecticut is a less important, and less interesting, version of NJ. But perception-wise, it makes out like a bandit.
Because perception wise, CT is "good".

To most outsiders, CT = rich, quaint, pretty, civilized, WASP, educated. There are no negative associations with CT when it comes to general perception.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:01 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSSC View Post

To most outsiders, CT = rich, quaint, pretty, civilized, WASP, educated. There are no negative associations with CT when it comes to general perception.
NJ and CT are neck and neck in all of those things.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:05 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Northern NJ isn't "in the shadow" of NYC any more than any of NYC's other suburbs are in the shadow of the city. Or any more than Philly's suburbs are in the shadow of Philly. Or Chicago. Etc, etc, etc.

Why do people always blame NJ for being in the shadow of NYC, as if this is NJ's fault, and it's any different from the rest of the country? Can anybody show me a metropolitan area where the suburbs are not "overshadowed" by the city?
I think you missed the context in which I was speaking. I say this b/c I completely agree w/ your first sentence: NNJ IS NOT anymore attuned to NY than any of the other surround.

I was responding to the another poster who suggested the whole of NJ is overshadowed by the whole of NY state. I suggested that it's much more local than that i.e. NNJ-NYC not NJ(state) - NY(state)

Old 01-12-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSSC View Post

I suppose that depends on who you ask b/c CT's cities (though smaller) are sometimes given the same negative associations.

NJ is often associated w/ wealth (2nd wealthiest), overall low crime, and having a good school system (otherwise folks wouldn't characterize NJ w/ suburbia).

However, I would agree that CT is not maligned by as many negative perceptions as NJ, but I think that has to do w/ it being just small enough to fly under the radar.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:13 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call CT a twin of NJ. To me they're more like a little brother to us.
no, its more like CT is the quieter yet more sophisticated older brother

*ahem*

Quote:
Newark was originally founded in 1666 by Connecticut Puritans led by Robert Treat from the New Haven Colony.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
no, its more like CT is the quieter yet more sophisticated older brother

*ahem*
That may be for the city of Newark, but NJ is the older state

Old 01-12-2011, 08:22 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyl View Post
Actually NNJ is a suburb of NYC. Didn't you learn this in geography? Are Bronx public schools that awful?!

Actually i went to school in midtown manhattan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerfreak View Post
Dude just stop it you're embarrasing yourself

1. Yes Jersey is in NYC everyday. We're over there everyday GETTING MONEY! There's no debating it and furthermore we've already covered this one. I know this reality is hard for you to accept but it is what it is.

2. The proof is in the numbers. There's far more of you guys moving to Jersey than the opposite. We don't care about living in NYC. We just use the city for what we want and then dip back across the river.

3. Yes you frequent our malls. You bring that good NYC money across the river to spend in little old NJ, ensuring that we will always eat good off you. Meanwhile we stay clear from your wack malls because as you know we Jerseyans have a problem paying sales tax on our stylish clothing

3. Where exactly is that Superbowl going to be played? That brand new stadium on the Upper West Side? That state of the art indoor arena out in Queens? Or what about the one in the Bronx? Oh that's right........none of those places actually exist within NYC so I guess that means the big game will be played right there in the good old Meadowlands. Where's that place located again???
1. All new jerseyans arent going to nyc just to get money.

2. Wheres your numbers?

3. LOL at we use your malls. Jerseyans use "our everything" here in ny. How can you even come out your mouth with that

4. My point was that it doesnt matter that the superbowl will be played in new jersey. NYC will get all the glory regardless

Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 PM

256 posts, read 452,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Actually i went to school in midtown manhattan

1. All new jerseyans arent going to nyc just to get money.

2. Wheres your numbers?

3. LOL at we use your malls. Jerseyans use "our everything" here in ny. How can you even come out your mouth with that

4. My point was that it doesnt matter that the superbowl will be played in new jersey. NYC will get all the glory regardless
You still responding to me? I thought I ethered you already about 3 posts ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City