Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA on NYC's level?
NO!! 141 83.93%
Yes 27 16.07%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:53 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
ROFLMAO! You're not alone in this BacktoBlue, I knew I wasn't trippin. I remember you and GOB had some classic battles back in the day, kind of miss you guys going at it

haha Yeah. Me, Danny, and Sav858 argued with that fool almost every day. Glad he's gone.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Wtf how does this relate to me? I must be like a celebrity to you southerners. Wow "Classic battles back in the day", the hell is that supposed to mean?

PS, now we really know california sur shouldn't be taken seriously, he thinks LA is on NYC's level...

I am not a southerner.

Sorry if this was a mix up, but there was a poster called "Ghost of Blasphamany" who would do nothing but bash Los Angeles and any city that wasn't like NYC or SF. He would say awful things about L.A. and other sunbelt cities. He was a jerk and at first I thought you were him, but apparently not. so sorry for the mix up!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:10 PM

940 posts, read 2,027,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Dense and urban aren't the same thing, people are using too many different words to try and say different things...Sprawl's another word that's all over the place.
"sprawl" and "urban" are terms with no agreed-upon meanings.

Density, on the other hand, can be defined.

There's also "urban form" and "urban use."

Urban arrangements are highly complex (why I find them so fascinating!).

I'd urge you to explore the concept of "latino urbanism": Latino Urban Forum - by James Rojas (http://www.lpnonline.com/eWebPages/Featured-Articles_id,999127363,2001.eWeb - broken link)

As latino immigrants from walkable communities have moved into sunbelt cities built for single families with cars, they've altered the landscape to be more "urban" (as you call it), building shops in front yards or selling goods on lawns--generally pedestrianizing a landscape built primarily for auto-use.

I think what this shows is that built form doesn't always dictate how cities are used.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:20 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
I respect la because its a much younger city than nyc and is still considered as a close rival to the city. But nyc is often cited as the number one city in the world let alone the USA

Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
The jets aren't looking so hot right now@ kony. I hope that beat the colts tho.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:34 PM

330 posts, read 878,117 times
To: 415_s2k, BacktoBlue, californio sur, EastCB, ironcouger, K.O.N.Y, Marat, philosoraptor, sandlapper,

All of you really need to make a thorough visit of NYC. Because once you do you will easily see that LA is not even close to the same level of NYC. Even if you don't like NYC, you will definitely realize that LA and NYC are on totally different levels.

If you make a visit to NYC, you will see how small and slow and non-exciting and dull LA is in comparison to NYC. I bet all of you that voted for LA would be overwhelmed by how exciting NYC is..and the energy of NYC is going to make LA feel like a tiny town of a thousand people. You're going to disagree by what I'm saying, but I know for certain, if you did make a visit to NYC you will feel what I'm talking about. So get out of your delusional life and make a visit to NYC first before posting your remarks! Then again if you do make a visit to NYC, you may cry out loud to take you back home because NYC will overwhelm you with excitement!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
To: 415_s2k, BacktoBlue, californio sur, EastCB, ironcouger, K.O.N.Y, Marat, philosoraptor, sandlapper,

All of you really need to make a thorough visit of NYC. Because once you do you will easily see that LA is not even close to the same level of NYC. Even if you don't like NYC, you will definitely realize that LA and NYC are on totally different levels.

If you make a visit to NYC, you will see how small and slow and non-exciting and dull LA is in comparison to NYC. I bet all of you that voted for LA would be overwhelmed by how exciting NYC is..and the energy of NYC is going to make LA feel like a tiny town of a thousand people. You're going to disagree by what I'm saying, but I know for certain, if you did make a visit to NYC you will feel what I'm talking about. So get out of your delusional life and make a visit to NYC first before posting your remarks! Then again if you do make a visit to NYC, you may cry out loud to take you back home because NYC will overwhelm you with excitement!
I never said L.A. was up to NYC standards. I just get sick of New Yorkers bashing any city that isn't dense specifically sunbelt cities like Los Angeles. get over yourselves.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:45 PM

818 posts, read 1,388,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
I am not a southerner.

Sorry if this was a mix up, but there was a poster called "Ghost of Blasphamany" who would do nothing but bash Los Angeles and any city that wasn't like NYC or SF. He would say awful things about L.A. and other sunbelt cities. He was a jerk and at first I thought you were him, but apparently not. so sorry for the mix up!
It happens, don't stress it. I haven't bashed LA and I don't hate it, did not make the thread to bash it either. Just wanted opinions weighed in for it. I need to look up some of this Ghost guys posts and see if I really do sound like him or not, way too many people keep confusing me for him

Old 01-08-2011, 07:48 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
and what dense areas they have are all sporadic making it a weak urban fabric. The end.
That's not quite true. The dense part of LA is largely contiguous starting west of downtown. They just aren't all completely desirable places to live.

Pico-Union - 42,000 people/1.7 square miles/25,000 people per square mile
Westlake - 103,000/2.7/38,000
Koreatown - 115,000/2.7/43,000
Mid-Wilshire - 42,000/2.8/15,000
East Hollywood - 74,000/2.4/31,000
Hollywood - 78,000/3.5/22,000
West Hollywood -36,000/1.9/19,000

That's 490,000 people living in 17.7 square miles which is 27,000 people per square mile. And they are surrounded by neighborhoods in the 10-15k people per square mile range.

source

Old 01-08-2011, 07:54 PM

818 posts, read 1,388,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
To: californio sur

No that poster has never been to NYC and has exposed he knows little of it many times. See this post and you will see how he thinks NYC and all places outside California are beneath him
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I read all 13 pages of this thread and enjoyed it immensely San Francisco is an incredible city but my idea of having a good time is to ride the cable cars\ streetcars all over the city, eat a fantastic meal in Fisherman's wharf, and drive up into the hills like Twin Pks\ Mt Davidson for remarkable views of the city and bay. I've always had a really fun time in San Fransisco because it is diverse, dynamic and easy to get around in. But I suppose the South Bay is less interesting since it is mostly bedroom communities that have grown into a huge metro region. San Jose just doesn't impress me anymore than Sacramento but because it is in the Bay Area and near places like Santa Cruz is has merit. I love the Bay Area and could easily live there.

But I am puzzled by the OP's opinion that Oceanside\ north San Diego county would be very interesting. I know it is slightly less expensive to live in Oceanside [I have a great-aunt\ uncle in San Luis Rey] than the rest of San Diego county but it is basically a military town full of drunk Marines in the local bars I think Orange county would be more interesting for the club scene than Oceanside especially up in Laguna Beach\ Newport Beach.

What's ideal in California is that we have so many options for urban living; there's no other place quite like California anywhere else in the world and certainly nowhere in the U.S. I laugh reading comments from homers arguing how Chicago, Washington DC, Houston and even NYC are so much more interesting than Los Angeles or the Bay Area.
LA gets hated on for no reason, and its not fair how LA is always the only city singled out for problems that seem to exist in every city but posts like the one from californio sur couldn't be more false. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and posters like him will never understand what draws different people to different places. I am no fan of the deep south or central Florida but even I can see something about those places appeal to people

He exposes that he hasn't ever left the west coast before in every one of his posts, don't even bother about getting his opinion of why LA is equal to NYC. He probably cant even back that up and is just being another closed minded homer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City