Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA on NYC's level?
NO!! 141 83.93%
Yes 27 16.07%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times

Advertisements

I'm actually shocked that this is such a landslide victory. I voted yes, but of course I didn't take EVERY single category into account, categories such as GDP have nothing to do with me lol. Somehow I see them on the same playing field.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:52 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Eh,

Howest2008 is obviously a little deranged and misinformed, so why stoke the fire?

I think the poll's pretty much settled this. The question was if Los Angeles was equally or more important (not whether or not you personally prefer Los Angeles) than NYC. Most people chose no for a very large variety of reasons which were mostly backed up with sources. Thing is settled.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:13 AM

617 posts, read 1,422,971 times
Funny thing is that all these numbers given do not mean anything in the realworld where the grand majority of people in the country are not city nerds like us. I would assume if people were asked what cities are the most important in the U.S. they would probably answer with:
  1. NYC
  2. DC
  3. LA
  4. Chicago
  5. Miami
Regardless of what anyone has to say on here, SF for the longest time has and for the forseable future will be overshadowed by LA PERIOD. When people think of CA across the globe LA comes to mind for the grand majority of them not SF, same can be said of cities around Chicago and NYC.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Howest2008:

I am not trying to say that Los Angeles is sub-par to Chicago or New York City or Washington DC or Bay Area.

I'm just trying to say this- Los Angeles (in my opinion) is in the same tier as Chicago, Washington DC, Bay Area, & DMV. It's a direct rival to those places more so than it is to New York City, which completely absorbs all of them and swallows them into an oblivion.

I really like Los Angeles a lot. And it's most definitely a world class city, and so are Chicago, Bay Area, & DMV too. In fact those are the TOP World Class cities in our country (along with New York City). If you want to think that Los Angeles is on the same playground as New York City, that is on you. But think about it this way, if you were a 5th grade student, would you hangout with a 3rd grade student during recess? If you were in your first year of college, would you go out with a person who is in 11th grade of high school? If you were 50 would you date only 24 year olds?

See what I mean, its not so much as Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Washington DC. It's about giving respect where it needs to be given. New York as a city ranks in the Top 3-4 for nearly everything whether its education, education facilities, law firms, film, fashion, retail, everything pretty much. Only rarely does it rank outside the Top 5 for anything (Based off the statistics I've seen). Los Angeles, Chicago, Bay Area, & DMV tend to fluctuate and can rank from bottom of many lists and ranks, to the top of many lists and ranks, to sometimes even non-existent on many things. They're not as cohesive and built out to be the top contending places the way New York is.

Generally I hate the argument that bigger is stronger. It's wrong on so many accounts but I feel like when a city combines quality programs with large bulk of quantity it reigns in top dog and that's what New York has done for itself. When it comes to "living" people can prefer Honolulu over New York, but when it comes to power and influence, New York is a 5th grader about to move on to middle school, and everyone else is still in elementary moving on up! I personally think people should respect that about all of these cities.

The last 3 pages, 7 out of 10 of the largest metropolitan areas in the country have been bashed, pointlessly by idiotic people. Some retard came in here saying "I don't want to live in New York, it doesn't have mountains" and that has nothing to do with importance. Same guy was like "Chicago's weather is disgusting" and that has nothing to do with importance. Someone else said Los Angeles deserves to fall into the ocean by an Earthquake, that has nothing to do with importance.

And then a debate about "desirability" came into play with someone showing one ranking, that had many issues with it. Nashville?! Like seriously? Nashville outscores Washington DC, Chicago, & Miami on desirability? Then I posted a desirability ranking that had the cities that were missing from the other ranking. We've gone through and seen some really useless arguments in this thread.

But overall, I think the work here is done. A lot of people here are in agreement overall, people can prefer to live where ever. A college graduate wanting to do law, will find Chicago, New York, Washington DC, & San Francisco the most "desirable" cities and such. And so on and so forth. That is entirely irrelevant to the topic of whether Los Angeles & New York City are even in terms of importance.

I think this thread should go back to the topic, either that or its time for this bad boy to be closed because its done its course and damage here.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Funny thing is that all these numbers given do not mean anything in the realworld where the grand majority of people in the country are not city nerds like us. I would assume if people were asked what cities are the most important in the U.S. they would probably answer with:
  1. NYC
  2. DC
  3. LA
  4. Chicago
  5. Miami
Regardless of what anyone has to say on here, SF for the longest time has and for the forseable future will be overshadowed by LA PERIOD. When people think of CA across the globe LA comes to mind for the grand majority of them not SF, same can be said of cities around Chicago and NYC.
Probably not true as I know I get asked more about San Francisco when I go to East Asia (mostly the sinosphere) when I mention I'm from California/USA than LA. I am guessing this changes rapidly depending on what part of the world you're in as different immigrant groups will have established different relations with the two areas. The same also holds for what occupation a person is in as SF and Silicon Valley will certainly be up there with people working in tech fields while film would go with LA.

SF has pretty big and broad appeal despite being so much smaller. It's almost like a brand name.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:25 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
As an Asian person who has lived in Asia before in both India & Singapore. The countries in Asia from what I've seen and to the ones I've been to seem to be more Bay Area centric than Los Angeles centric.

In India, its almost every college students dream to attend school in either Harvard or Stanford in USA, or IIT in India and then open up a software or tech company or get a premium high paying job in the Bay Area. In Singapore, its almost an icon, Singaporeans really admire San Francisco very much. Man tell any Vietnamese person in Houston something negative about San Jose and they will jump you. In Vietnam I would say Bay Area is very well regarded there, as is Los Angeles though.

In my personal experience in Hong Kong & Shanghai, I have seen more people talk about California & San Francisco than anywhere else in America, and even history of San Francisco is a verification for that, Los Angeles is very well regarded in China also but from my experience both it and New York seemed to be to a lesser extent than San Francisco.
I don't know much about the other countries in Asia, as I haven't been anywhere else in Asia besides Nepal & Cambodia and never asked locals about the USA there.

I don't know about Europe, Africa, or Australia though. I have been to Melbourne, Paris, London, Frankfurt, & Italy but never really talked much about USA there, Europeans are generally more into themselves and its hard bringing up conversations randomly about them having family in USA or places they'd like to see or work in USA compared to Asians who admire and would love to live in USA in given cities. Europeans are more reserved when it comes to getting into personal life information, from my experiences at least. So I cant say which one is more known about there or so.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:27 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
if u were to asked a bunch of people who arent really city nerds( i had to use that dtownboogie) like us. they would probably say:

1. NYC & LA
2. Chicago
3. DC.

from the people i've asked, that is what most people said.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Probably not true as I know I get asked more about San Francisco when I go to East Asia (mostly the sinosphere) when I mention I'm from California/USA than LA. I am guessing this changes rapidly depending on what part of the world you're in as different immigrant groups will have established different relations with the two areas. The same also holds for what occupation a person is in as SF and Silicon Valley will certainly be up there with people working in tech fields while film would go with LA.

SF has pretty big and broad appeal despite being so much smaller. It's almost like a brand name.
You made a good point with East Asia however if you were to ask people in China, Africa, Latin America, Middle East and most of Europe LA would come out on top 9 out of 10 times due to the simple fact of LA marketing itself through movies.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
You made a good point with East Asia however if you were to ask people in China, Africa, Latin America, Middle East and most of Europe LA would come out on top 9 out of 10 times due to the simple fact of LA marketing itself through movies.
By East Asia and sinosphere, I am including China. Latin America is very likely, and maybe Africa and the Middle East (though my experiences with people from Africa and the Middle East is fairly limited), but I'll disagree with you when it comes to Europe. It seems with Europeans I know that it goes either way.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
if u were to asked a bunch of people who arent really city nerds( i had to use that dtownboogie) like us. they would probably say:

1. NYC & LA
2. Chicago
3. DC.

from the people i've asked, that is what most people said.
I would think most people would put DC in front of LA simply because it's the seat of the US government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City