Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA on NYC's level?
NO!! 141 83.93%
Yes 27 16.07%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:09 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times

Advertisements

sav858:

I know. I'm not really a fan of "dense" and urban cities per se. I like cities for all and any redeeming qualities they have. And can openly accept something unique about every single city. My point was this though, there isn't any point in using any ranking, especially an opinion based one as a basis for anything. The general public which includes 310 Million people in the United States did not respond to the question or criteria. So therefore in my opinion it is not even the closest to being scientific.

I just generally don't get people who use these "most favorite" & "least favorite" city rankings as a "scientific" method of reasoning when its not. There's like 10 rankings that came out in 2010, and all of them had different cities for "desirability", "wealthy", and everything else and none of that was scientific. 3,000 people do not speak for the general public, they didn't speak for me and my Top 10, they did not speak for the other 310 Million Americans. They make up 0.0001% of America's population, and they speak only for themselves.

Frankly, Los Angeles knew what it was going to be, and it didn't want to be like New York City, many have a hard time accepting that and it turns into the classic Sunbelt is weak and feeble contest as seen so much on these boards. I like Los Angeles the way it is right now, and would love to see more improvements happen, despite Los Angeles already shedding a lot of negativity already, this is the safest (crime wise) Los Angeles has ever been, the cleanest its ever been, the most active its ever been.

Harris Poll Interactive, GaWC, and all these other rankings are just that, rankings. People who climb to them are gullible people in my opinion, too easily impressed and too easily entertained to have their own views. Scientifically, no 310 Million people including men, women, children, elderly, young, and incarcerated, and infants (Infants cant cast their ballet either way, lol) didn't cast their vote for their Top 10. It is not scientific, its almost as bad as every Forbes list to come out in the last 5 years, completely attractive to those who cant fend for themselves and need to be told what prime destinations are.

Simply put, I am not at war with rankings, I don't go by rankings even when it comes to prominence if I did I would not think Bay Area & DMV would be Top 3. I am at war with the common American generalization that rankings from unscientific sources speak for a general populace as a whole, in which case a country with a population of 310 Million people, the 3rd largest country in the world, and the most powerful country in the world. I refuse to believe that people could be as gullible, what people like is up to them. Hell, I want to see Nashville myself, I'm curious to see it, but lets be real, unscientific measurement of 3,000 people of any demographical background and location will tend to lean much one way than another, in no representation of periodical light is it a sound reasoning for any justified ranking.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:13 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Huh? I used to think you were one of the smarter posters on this board until this response. My point was exceedingly simple: San Francisco is the west coast's version of New York City, it is urban, sophisticated, and beloved. I wasn't saying San Francisco is exactly like New York or that it matches it on every level, only that the affection for SF is similar to the affection for NYC.

And as soon as make this simple comparison bigcitydreamer comes out swinging in anger that I dare to compare SF to NYC and you back that up? Unfortunate.
How? he was exactly right. There is no westcoast version of new york and he was simply saying that you should have used a city like boston as an example instead

Old 01-15-2011, 06:47 PM

442 posts, read 1,296,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'm actually shocked that this is such a landslide victory. I voted yes, but of course I didn't take EVERY single category into account, categories such as GDP have nothing to do with me lol. Somehow I see them on the same playing field.

yo did you move to fla yet? you gotta let us know how everything is down there fam

Old 01-15-2011, 07:18 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
People from California seem to think LA is on the level of NYC but when asked how they cant respond with anything to prove LA is equally important as NYC. I want to hear what non Californians have to say about it and whether they think LA stacks up to our nations premier city. What do you think, are NYC and LA are equals or NYC is head and shoulders above LA in most subjects?
New York stands alone relative to LA. in most respects.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:42 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Huh? I used to think you were one of the smarter posters on this board until this response. My point was exceedingly simple: San Francisco is the west coast's version of New York City, it is urban, sophisticated, and beloved. I wasn't saying San Francisco is exactly like New York or that it matches it on every level, only that the affection for SF is similar to the affection for NYC.

And as soon as make this simple comparison bigcitydreamer comes out swinging in anger that I dare to compare SF to NYC and you back that up? Unfortunate.
We are just picking threads here. I know your response is simple and it is easy to look as NYC as a beacon of light on the East Coast. But really, there are more matched up cities, like Boston for example who are urban sophisticated coastal polished compact and beloved as well. In fact their CSA match up closer than any other cities at 7.6 and 7.5 Mil, while NYC is 22 mil. both are highly educated, both are tech centers, very liberal, etc. I'm not angry I just think there is a much better match up on the east coast for SF and Boston would be it IMO. I just don't think people should automatically be oh it's like NYC as that is the most well known on the east coast when in actually it is closer to other cities. It generally works in reverse when that happens and turns into a reverse bash fest for the city trying to compare itself to NYC, then takes away credit from say SF which should get a lot of credit itself.
You are right about the affection though, they both probably see a lot and are media darlings and are both arguably the high culture pinnacles of their regions.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:57 PM

9 posts, read 10,776 times
the reason why LA is better from a person born in Brklyn who grew up in Hudson Valley (Yes Hudson Valley, that is where they have grass and trees, get over it.)

NYC is a parody of it's self. There is no authenticity. Everyone is from someplace else (which is cool), but, doing their impression of a "rude NYer", with NO NY heart to back it up.

That was the special recipe that made NYers so unique.

Now the city's crawling with a bunch of rude twits. I'm FAR from the first to mention this.

There was a time when NYC was a truly amazing place. I could mention a few things, but the newbies wouldn't understand, so I wont bother.

One of the details, and famously so, NYC was dangerous.
And that, while others may not understand, was very good, because it kept the corny people out.
If you wanted to shop at a strip mall, and surround yourself with other people who are EXACTLY like you, then you definitely did not live in NYC.

When NYC got sterilized it went from an exotic cheese to an american single.

All those people who where afraid to live there before moved in.
"Look Ma, I'm a NYer!"

Good for you children, but now the originality of your city is gone, and you can shop at H&M and wear arylic sweaters just like they do in Kansas.

How about NYC's lack of diversity.
The stress index of a major city needs to be balanced/ complimented by something other than what IMO has become a very suburban civilian mentality.

NYC is TOTALLY segregated, w/ Asians and Whites in Manhattan, Darks in Queens/ brklyn, and never do they mingle EVER.

While the rest of the country made steps to get over it. NYC took a step backward.

If you are white/Asain in Manhattan, ALL your friends are white/Asian, etc, closed chapter, done deal, nothing else is accepted.

And that AINT a cool city, Jack.

Another reason why NYC is no longer *the* city:
News flash--a bagel isnt better because it's $9.00. There are bagels where I live, the same bagels in fact, they are just reasonably priced.
NYC people are so brainwashed, they actually think a bagel is better, because it costs more.

OK,
LA is better bc the lifestyle/ quality of living:
Apartments/condo/ home, you get so much more.
But , it's not hard to beat a cramped studio with worn out laminate floors, no yard, three flights up, no pool, cockroaches and one window, for $2500.

The people look better ( sorry, but everyone in Manhattan looks like they need a good rest after a loooong scrub down).
Also, more to do- like hike Griffith park, which is a stunning and gigantic nature preserve right in the city. Dont be a fool and suggest Central park, because if you do, then you have never been to Griffith.

Why dont you try surfing the Hudson?

LA is more avant garde with talent and beauty within the reach of the average man, not held exclusively for the rich.

LA has more culture, more theaters, more artists, more singers, dancers, athletes, writers.
What does NYC have more of -Bankers? ...oh yeah, that's fabulous.

LA has great people. Open minded people. The result is that CA in general is more progressive and inventive and creative because they don't put down the ideas of their people all the time, every chance they get like they do in NY State. So yeah, some of them, from the starchy perspective of someone from the NE, might seem far fetched, but occasionally something sublime is able to manifest out of that optimistic way of life.

By contrast, it's been a LONG time since I personally met anyone in NYC who I would deem a great person. Rich? Yes, great, no.

When's the last time something cool/magical happened in NYC. Truth is, it's been a while now.

Thats why there are so many NYers in LA and not the other way around.

Whatever NYers dont understand, they put down. That way of thinking has led to the majority of the NE functioning like a cog in a rusty wheel, resting on the laurels of the industrial revolution. ----Hellllo? The industrial revolution has been over for a while...it's the tech age now, derrrr. Blow that old, tired horn, "we're the best!" but what are you actually saying? Nothing.

NY has $9.00 bagels.

*Yeah*

Best of luck with that surfing thing.

Last edited by Adelle_Sharp; 01-15-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 01-15-2011, 10:13 PM

23 posts, read 31,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelle_Sharp View Post
the reason why LA is better from a person born in Brklyn who grew up in Hudson Valley (Yes Hudson Valley, that is where they have grass and trees, get over it.)

NYC is a parody of it's self. There is no authenticity. Everyone is from someplace else (which is cool), but, doing their impression of a "rude NYer", with NO NY heart to back it up.

Now the city's crawling with a bunch of rude twits. I'm FAR from the first to mention this.

There was a time when NYC was a truly amazing place. I could mention a few things, but the newbies wouldn't understand, so I wont bother.

And that, while others may not understand, was very good, because it kept the corny people out.
If you wanted to shop at a strip mall, and surround yourself with other people who are EXACTLY like you, then you definitely did not live in NYC.

"Look Ma, I'm a NYer!"

The stress index of a major city needs to be balanced/ complimented by something other than what IMO has become a very suburban civilian mentality.

Now the place is TOTALLY segregated, w/ Asians and Whites in Manhattan, Darks in Queens/ brklyn, and never do they mingle EVER.

While the rest of the country made steps to get over it. NYC took a step backward.

If you are white/Asain in Manhattan, ALL your friends are white/Asian, etc, closed chapter, done deal, nothing else is accepted.

News flash--a bagel isnt better because it's $9.00. There are bagels where I live, the same bagels in fact, they are just reasonably priced.
NYC people are so brainwashed, they actually think a bagel is better, because it costs more.

OK,
But , it's not hard to beat a cramped studio with worn out laminate floors, no yard, three flights up, no pool, cockroaches and one window, for $2500.

The people look better ( sorry, but everyone in Manhattan looks like they need a good rest after a loooong scrub down).
Also, more to do- like hike Griffith park, which is a stunning and gigantic nature preserve right in the city. Dont be a fool and suggest Central park, because if you do, then you have never been to Griffith.

LA is more avant garde with talent and beauty within the reach of the average man, not held exclusively for the rich.

LA has more culture, more theaters, more artists, more singers, dancers, athletes, writers.

LA has great people. Open minded people. The result is that CA in general is more progressive and inventive and creative because they don't put down the ideas of their people all the time, every chance they get like they do in NY State. So yeah, some of them, from the starchy perspective of someone from the NE, might seem far fetched, but occasionally something sublime is able to manifest out of that optimistic way of life.

By contrast, it's been a LONG time since I personally met anyone in NYC who I would deem a great person. Rich? Yes, great, no.

When's the last time something cool/magical happened in NYC. Truth is, it's been a while now.

Whatever NYers dont understand, they put down. That way of thinking has led to the majority of the NE functioning like a cog in a rusty wheel, resting on the laurels of the industrial revolution. ----Hellllo? The industrial revolution has been over for a while...it's the tech age now, derrrr. Blow that old, tired horn, "we're the best!" but what are you actually saying? Nothing.

NY has $9.00 bagels.

*Yeah*

Your post in a nutshell: Los Angeles is better because it's more dangerous and you can surf (better?).

Surfing. Who surfs? People in Manhattan have more important, productive things to do than spend their life surfing. Maybe surfing and surf culture is the reason Lost Angeles is basically a third-world city of people who can barely read. Surfing. LMAO. Get a job.

Yes, one more success driven is more apt to find NY attractive while the only people moving to LA nowadays are illegals and perverted misfits ("actors", vagrants) who want to "stick it" to their more successful career driven counterparts "back east" with higher standards who move to Manhattan. I know your type all too well..

It's a shame Lost Angeles doesn't attract literate people who care about the city's future. While Los Angeles pathetic corporate base continues to dwindle, unemployment continues its current projectile and finally reaches 20%, poverty levels spike and illegals finally become the largest group of people in Los Angeles....at least you'll still have your waves! Enjoy, dude!

Last edited by HONM; 01-15-2011 at 10:41 PM..

Old 01-15-2011, 10:18 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
sav858:. My point was this though, there isn't any point in using any ranking, especially an opinion based one as a basis for anything. The general public which includes 310 Million people in the United States did not respond to the question or criteria. So therefore in my opinion it is not even the closest to being scientific.
It's just a simple survey, I never was claiming that it's exactly how Americans feel or it was scientifically accurate. No survey or poll will ever reach out to every single American, but that doesn't mean they're wrong or not reflective of whatever the subject is. My point was that poll is probably a lot more reflective of how the general populations feels than polls and threads on this site. It's weighted and takes into account demographics, this site is not and attracts certain types of people with shared interests, particularly in the most urban cities.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 PM

74 posts, read 93,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
People from California seem to think LA is on the level of NYC but when asked how they cant respond with anything to prove LA is equally important as NYC. I want to hear what non Californians have to say about it and whether they think LA stacks up to our nations premier city. What do you think, are NYC and LA are equals or NYC is head and shoulders above LA in most subjects?
Simple Answer No! Enough with LA vs NYC type threads! Most Californians are arrogant and don't know much about anything outside of the U.S. I base this off observation. NYC is by far on a different level then L.A.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:44 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelle_Sharp View Post

"Look Ma, I'm a NYer!"

Good for you children, but now the originality of your city is gone, and you can shop at H&M and wear arylic sweaters just like they do in Kansas.

How about NYC's lack of diversity.

NYC is TOTALLY segregated, w/ Asians and Whites in Manhattan, Darks in Queens/ brklyn, and never do they mingle EVER.

OK,

NY has $9.00 bagels.

*Yeah*

WHOA!! You stated you're from NY. Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City