Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city in the south has the most "big city" feel?
Atlanta 93 27.84%
Charlotte 4 1.20%
Dallas 46 13.77%
Fort Worth 1 0.30%
Houston 94 28.14%
Jacksonville 1 0.30%
Memphis 4 1.20%
Miami 66 19.76%
New Orleans 23 6.89%
Oklahoma City 0 0%
San Antonio 2 0.60%
Tampa 0 0%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:51 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Yep.

I've heard that the oil refineries have sort of limited fast growing areas to pop up in this part of the metro.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:07 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
GDP has its place, but I don't see how it necessarily relates to a "big city" feel. For instance, Charlotte has a larger GDP than some of its peer cities but feels smaller and less dense than them.
I see what you're saying. IMO, alot of these areas that tend to be more dense and urban have a large tourism industry. Which is all nice and all but tourism does little for economic enhancement. I don't know if there is a true measure for highrises and dense development. The current sprawl metric (acres of developed land) doesn't really explain smarter urban dense development. Perhaps that is the best measure for urbanity. UA is just another population measure, which IMO is also misleading.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:40 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
From what I've seen on Streetview; Atlanta appears to have a more urban look than all of them [as far as the core]. Personally; I feel the urbanism is overrated in Miami. It's mostly just dense.
I agree with this. My family owns a home down there, and while South Beach and Brikell are more urban and walkable that is it. The rest of Miami is very dense suburban feeling like what you find in North Dallas. The consistency of its dense (sub) urban development makes it feel pretty big.

The thing with Atlanta is it does seem very urban from the five points area of downtown up the Peachtree spine to the Brookwood neighborhood. You can't get too far off Peachtree st though before the urbanity falls off quite a bit.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:44 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
I don't know, of all of them, Miami seems to be(I know someone already said this) consistently urban. The other 3 cities can get somewhat rural and wooded within there core's.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:46 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I see what you're saying. IMO, alot of these areas that tend to be more dense and urban have a large tourism industry. Which is all nice and all but tourism does little for economic enhancement.
I'm a bit perplexed as to where you're coming from here. As far as the mention of Charlotte is concerned, I was talking about peer cities like Kansas City, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati that have smaller GDPs but are more urban and dense. Those cities aren't tourist hotspots. I just don't see how GDP necessarily correlates to a "big city feel."

Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'm a bit perplexed as to where you're coming from here. As far as the mention of Charlotte is concerned, I was talking about peer cities like Kansas City, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati that have smaller GDPs but are more urban and dense. Those cities aren't tourist hotspots. I just don't see how GDP necessarily correlates to a "big city feel."
I was thinking with cities like New Orleans, Las Vegas, among others. Very touristy but smaller scale GDP development. I was simply saying something in a general sense. IMO, GDP correlates to a big city feel in that big cities are an economic engine. One of the best measures of economic prowess of a city/state/nation is the size of the economy. I've also noticed that many touristy friendly areas tend to be more "urban." And so I think GDP is also a good measure.

My other mention was an attempt to come up with a measure for urbanity. I think urban area is just another way to measure MSA figures but with an emphasis on residential density and not necessarily business/residential development. That's where my comment about the built environment came in, since essentially I think that is really what everyone is referring to. The current definition of sprawl, as far as I know, only refers to the amount built land previousl built on undeveloped land. When I look at this definition this built land could refer to anything and doesn't exactly tell of the urbanity of an area.

I think the best measure would be some kind of index of GDP/MSA/UA/built environment; sort of lie effeciency in the NBA.LOL.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I was thinking with cities like New Orleans, Las Vegas, among others. Very touristy but smaller scale GDP development. I was simply saying something in a general sense.
Well those would be in the minority. Charlotte's peers that feel bigger and more urban tend to be traditional urban centers and not tourist hotspots. Plus NOLA and Las Vegas are two very different types of tourist-oriented cities.

Quote:
IMO, GDP correlates to a big city feel in that big cities are an economic engine. One of the best measures of economic prowess of a city/state/nation is the size of the economy. I've also noticed that many touristy friendly areas tend to be more "urban." And so I think GDP is also a good measure.
I'm not trying to be difficult or anything, but you've said that tourist-friendly places tend to be more urban but that such places have smaller GDPs and you equate higher GDPs to a city having more of a "big city feel." So I'm not seeing how it all ties in for you.

Quote:
My other mention was an attempt to come up with a measure for urbanity. I think urban area is just another way to measure MSA figures but with an emphasis on residential density and not necessarily business/residential development. That's where my comment about the built environment came in, since essentially I think that is really what everyone is referring to. The current definition of sprawl, as far as I know, only refers to the amount built land previousl built on undeveloped land. When I look at this definition this built land could refer to anything and doesn't exactly tell of the urbanity of an area.

I think the best measure would be some kind of index of GDP/MSA/UA/built environment; sort of lie effeciency in the NBA.LOL.
For the purposes of this thread, it's not really about any sort of objective measure since it's all subjective by nature; it's about how big a city feels.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 PM

^I'm not equating higher GDP to bigger city feel. However, I do equate that if a city does have a big city feel, it does have the GDP to match. How it ties in to me is that a big city has urbanity, big GDP, touristy, and is a great place for business/pleasure. While I know people like to go on how a place feels, I like to use objective measures to back up my answers to the best of my ability.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
^I'm not equating higher GDP to bigger city feel. However, I do equate that if a city does have a big city feel, it does have the GDP to match. How it ties in to me is that a big city has urbanity, big GDP, touristy, and is a great place for business/pleasure.
In this case, the "Big Four" of the South have less urbanity than their Northern/Midwestern counterparts and the top two in GDP aren't very touristy nor are they known as great places for pleasure. That's why I don't really see the correlations you're making.

Quote:
While I know people like to go on how a place feels, I like to use objective measures to back up my answers to the best of my ability.
In this case though, I don't think there's a formula that could work. "Feeling" is just subjective and can be based on many things. For example, more urban cities in particular might not have the status they used to have nationally but still feel relatively large because much of their urban fabric might still be intact.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:14 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I'm guessing you have never been to Houston if you think the high rises are spread out over 600 square miles. Anyone that has ever lived or visited Houston knows that all the high rises are concentrated in Downtown, Texas Medical Center, Uptown, and Greenway Plaza. All those districts are separated by a few miles.
lol, it is so funny that people would think that the buildings were spread out instead of clusters. how silly can some people be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
I dont understand why Houston doesnt have a comparable Rail system being large as it is.
The people here are not crying for it. Have you given a thought to some people not caring at all. not everyone drives into town, some people work where they live and would not use mass transit if you paid them. I have never seen people wet their panties over being driven like they do on CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Your suppose to pick which one has the worst. And its clearly Houston that has the worst.
ah shush, you are from FW, you should not be talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
You live in a hick country town called Fort Worth which will never see the day of even having a mass transit system. Go and live in your irrelevant hick town and stop meddling in things out of your city's league
lol, my sentiments exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Ok and all of that makes you feel like you can start trashing other obviously more superior cities?
LOL D and FW use each other to look better but are always trashing each other. It is kinda funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Personally; I feel the urbanism is overrated in Miami. It's mostly just dense.
I think so too. when people are always gushing over Miami's urbanity and comparing it to the NE, I am always wondering if they are talking about the smae Miami I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually, Kdogg is kind of correct here. The 6.1 figure is not official yet. It also did not come from census. Right now, Houston stands at just over 5.9 million and DFW stands at 6.8. This is of course the CSA population.
I doubt Kdogg meant to use CSA figures. we are talking about the 4 metros, Miami doesn't have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The reason Houston has an appreciably larger economy is because of two things:

1) Oil industry (with the port of Houston helping in its distribution)

2) NASA

Take those two away, and it's smaller than Atlanta and Dallas, economically.
don't be silly, NASA and Oil account for less than 50% of Houston's economy so remove them and we would still have the larger economy. But why would you take away the biggest industry for one and not the others??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You can't just "take" away industries in a city's economy anyway to try to make it on even parallel with other cities. These cities have these industries for a reason.
I know right. some people are just so silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City