Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city in the south has the most "big city" feel?
Atlanta 93 27.84%
Charlotte 4 1.20%
Dallas 46 13.77%
Fort Worth 1 0.30%
Houston 94 28.14%
Jacksonville 1 0.30%
Memphis 4 1.20%
Miami 66 19.76%
New Orleans 23 6.89%
Oklahoma City 0 0%
San Antonio 2 0.60%
Tampa 0 0%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 07:10 AM

641 posts, read 801,350 times

Advertisements

If we are adding TX to the south, Houston feels the biggest to me. Followed by DFW then Mia/Atl.

Miami has a wonderful skyline that adds to the "feel" but it just doesn't feel like a bigger city than DFW or Houston. It's population density contributes to the big city feel. But all the uninhabitable land and water makes it feel smaller to me. Likewise, the plethora of trees adds to the beauty of Atlanta but also curtails that big city feel a bit (to me at least).

And I can see why someone brought up geographic regions. I'm a TX transplant from NC. As much as people want to believe TX is the south, it's just not. It's such a common held belief that even some Texans (mostly w East TX roots) think they're southerners until they really visit a southern region. I've had family from NC come down here and were culture shocked. Same thing with friends that I've brought to NC.

The only thing southern about TX is east TX. In my definition of the south (East TX, AR, LA, MS, TN, AL, GA, North FL, SC, NC) Atlanta is the city with biggest feel. Followed by Charlotte.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:36 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
If we are adding TX to the south, Houston feels the biggest to me. Followed by DFW then Mia/Atl.

Miami has a wonderful skyline that adds to the "feel" but it just doesn't feel like a bigger city than DFW or Houston. It's population density contributes to the big city feel. But all the uninhabitable land and water makes it feel smaller to me. Likewise, the plethora of trees adds to the beauty of Atlanta but also curtails that big city feel a bit (to me at least).

And I can see why someone brought up geographic regions. I'm a TX transplant from NC. As much as people want to believe TX is the south, it's just not. It's such a common held belief that even some Texans (mostly w East TX roots) think they're southerners until they really visit a southern region. I've had family from NC come down here and were culture shocked. Same thing with friends that I've brought to NC.

The only thing southern about TX is east TX. In my definition of the south (East TX, AR, LA, MS, TN, AL, GA, North FL, SC, NC) Atlanta is the city with biggest feel. Followed by Charlotte.
You haven't been to Houston then. It's southern through and through.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:04 AM

ive been and to someone from NC... it doesnt have tht southern flair tht I see in NC, TN, SC, GA, AL, LA, MS...

VA seems more southern to me, I don't know if its the hispanic population here that makes it feel less southern but it just does... I don't remember many hispanics growing up in Raleigh, NC...

Another thing... In Dallas... ppl bring breakfast burritos n2 work or have someone taking orders for tamales... That's not happening in NC.... another thing that could influence my thoughts is who I hang around... my girl is half hispanic on her mother's side so I've been eating more tex mex than soul food.... I'm use to it now so its not a big deal...the south seems more black and white to me.... TX has southern influence, midwest influence, cali influence, and a very large mexican influence..... that makes it unique and quite different from the real south... the other southern states I mentioned really have no outside influences diluting its southern flair

Last edited by FJB327; 11-08-2015 at 09:19 AM..

Old 11-08-2015, 09:29 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Miami has a "average" density of 12,000 people per square mile.
Neither Houston , Dallas or Atlanta as cities approaches Miami's density.

This is Little Havana which is one of the most densely populated neighborhoods backing right up to downtown Miami :

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps06tdwb5m.jpg

Please show us a equal neighborhood in Atlanta , Houston or Dallas that approaches this level of density.

Yes Miami doesn't feel like a big city :

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...pslmr3czh8.jpg

Edgewater neighborhood north of downtown Miami :

http://cdn1.media.zp-cdn.com/23320/M...46b-a7a44e.jpg

Brickell Financial district south of downtown :

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/740/22...624d99f1_o.jpg
Atlanta's inner 36 square mile density in 1950 was about 9,000 people per square mile.

Source: http://www.census.gov/population/www...0027/tab18.txt

It's not hard to think with all of the new apartments developed within this same 36 square mile area that Atlanta's structural density is around 10k-11k ppsm in that inner 36 square miles, not far behind Miami.

The reason I use 36 square miles is because that's roughly how large Miami's city limits are.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:03 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
ive been and to someone from NC... it doesnt have tht southern flair tht I see in NC, TN, SC, GA, AL, LA, MS...

VA seems more southern to me, I don't know if its the hispanic population here that makes it feel less southern but it just does... I don't remember many hispanics growing up in Raleigh, NC...

Another thing... In Dallas... ppl bring breakfast burritos n2 work or have someone taking orders for tamales... That's not happening in NC.... another thing that could influence my thoughts is who I hang around... my girl is half hispanic on her mother's side so I've been eating more tex mex than soul food.... I'm use to it now so its not a big deal...the south seems more black and white to me.... TX has southern influence, midwest influence, cali influence, and a very large mexican influence..... that makes it unique and quite different from the real south... the other southern states I mentioned really have no outside influences diluting its southern flair
LOL Houston is next door to Louisiana. Your opinion is invalid.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
LOL Houston is next door to Louisiana. Your opinion is invalid.
How can someone's opinion be invalid you idiot. It's an opinion. People from the real south know what I mean by a real southern flair. The question asked about a "big city feel of the south." My response was if we are using geographical south, TX cities would win. But to me and many others, TX and big chunk of FL are not "the south."

Geographically, TX is the south (southwest to be specific).

Southern flair isn't diluted in GA,AL,SC,LA,TN, MS, NC, AR like it is in TX or FL. That's what I mean by "real south."

Atlanta is the largest city whose southern flair, like the state it resides in, hasn't been diluted like the cities of Miami, Dallas, and Houston. I'm here in TX from NC. Trust me, it does not feel like the south here. Most blacks I come across are like southerners I'm used to. A big % of whites in the rural areas and suburbs are like southerners. A large % of them are also mid westerners. But hispanics, urbanites, and TX transplants have diluted TX's southern flair to the point that it's lost whatever southern flair it once had. The southern influence is definitely in TX but I wouldn't consider it the state as a whole to be "southern." It's Texas. Like I wouldn't consider DC the south but definitely a region with southern influence. I've had some of the best southern cuisine in DC at the Capitol of all places.

Pensacola felt like the south, so did Atlanta, East TX, Birmingham, Jackson MS, Shreveport, Charlotte, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock and Lake Charles.... Houston no, DFW no, Austin no, San Antonio no, Miami def not.

Last edited by FJB327; 11-08-2015 at 12:08 PM..

Old 11-08-2015, 12:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
How can someone's opinion be invalid you idiot. It's an opinion. People from the real south know what I mean by a real southern flair. The question asked about a "big city feel of the south." My response was if we are using geographical south, TX cities would win. But to me and many others, TX and big chunk of FL are not "the south."

Southern flair isn't diluted in GA,AL,SC,LA,TN, MS, NC, AR like it is in TX or FL. That's what I mean by "real south."

Atlanta is the largest city whose southern flair, like the state it resides in, hasn't been diluted like the cities of Miami, Dallas, and Houston. I'm here in TX from NC. Trust me, it does not feel like the south here. The blacks I come across are like southerners I'm used to. A large % of whites in the rural areas and suburbs are like southerners. A large % of them are also mid westerners. But hispanics, urbanites, and TX transplants have diluted TX's southern flair to the point that it's lost whatever southern flair it once had. The southern influence is definitely in TX but I wouldn't consider it the south. Like I wouldn't consider DC the south but definitely a region with southern influence. I've had some of the best southern cuisine in DC at the Capitol of all places.

Pensacola felt like the south, so did Atlanta, East TX, Birmingham, Jackson MS, Shreveport, Charlotte, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock and Lake Charles.... Houston no, DFW no, Austin no, San Antonio no, Miami def not.
Oh my, perhaps, maybe just maayyyybe.

The south is diverse.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:17 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:

I've encountered a pretty decent amount of Hispanics during my time in Fayetteville, NC back in June. The Mexican food we had was on point down there!

Old 11-08-2015, 12:18 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:

Atlanta is the largest city whose southern flair, like the state it resides in, hasn't been diluted like the cities of Miami, Dallas, and Houston. I'm here in TX from NC. Trust me, it does not feel like the south here. Most blacks I come across are like southerners I'm used to. A big % of whites in the rural areas and suburbs are like southerners. A large % of them are also mid westerners. But hispanics, urbanites, and TX transplants have diluted TX's southern flair to the point that it's lost whatever southern flair it once had. The southern influence is definitely in TX but I wouldn't consider it the state as a whole to be "southern." It's Texas. Like I wouldn't consider DC the south but definitely a region with southern influence. I've had some of the best southern cuisine in DC at the Capitol of all places.

I actually agree with you about the majority of Texas not feeling traditionally Southern, but I have no idea how anyone can say HOUSTON---of all the big Texas cities---does not feel Southern.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:22 PM

Yea but this is a question about perceptions. A person's perception of "feel of big city" in "the south." The dark shaded states are undeniably southern. The culture of those states are overwhelmingly southern. The other states are debatable.

If you want to lump in the red states... TX cities and Miami have the biggest "big city feel." If you also want to include striped regions, DC takes the cake.

Map Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultur..._United_States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City