Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city in the south has the most "big city" feel?
Atlanta 93 27.84%
Charlotte 4 1.20%
Dallas 46 13.77%
Fort Worth 1 0.30%
Houston 94 28.14%
Jacksonville 1 0.30%
Memphis 4 1.20%
Miami 66 19.76%
New Orleans 23 6.89%
Oklahoma City 0 0%
San Antonio 2 0.60%
Tampa 0 0%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:56 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Every picture you posted excluding New Orleans is at lest 5 years old. Also, there is this thing where you build up instead of out.
I don't care what you guys say, none of these cities have filled in the gaps in the development in the last few years,.

New Orleans have been built out for many many decades.

So it doesn't matter if the pics are from yesterday or 10 years ago. The fact remains, New Orleans is the most built out big city in the south, and no its not just the quarter.

It is not as tall as Houston or Miami and not as expansive as Houston or DFW, it does not have the amenities of the big 4, but one thing that I won't take away from it is the built environment.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:21 PM

641 posts, read 801,540 times
And Savannah is well known but not well enough. That place is just tht great. It should be on everyones bucket list. Idk ne1 in tx thats been there. The fact that it isn't on a large % of peoples top ten places they'd like to visit makes it underrated to me.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:00 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
And Savannah is well known but not well enough. That place is just tht great. It should be on everyones bucket list. Idk ne1 in tx thats been there. The fact that it isn't on a large % of peoples top ten places they'd like to visit makes it underrated to me.
Eh, I'm not sure if I'd say it should be a top 10 destination in the U.S., especially since it's not a major city. In many ways it's like a smaller NOLA so most Texans can get a lot of what Savannah offers and more by going there.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Negative. TX is TX. Southwestern at best. I live here Mutiny. I've lived in a real southern state too. Outside of Houston and east tx,,, tx is different. I'll never debate if east tx is southern or not. I'll never again debate if Houston is southern.

Like you said, lets not go there bc it will go on forever. I wont knock anyone for including it. I wont knock anyone for including VA, FL, MD, or DC either.
Thank God but just realize that there are PLENTY of lifelong Texans and other long-term residents who place Texas firmly within the South, even while recognizing all the different cultural influences that can be found within the state. Where is TexasReb when you need him?

Quote:
But I will say this that may upset you or other atl lovers:

Atlanta is def behind Houston as it relates to big city feel. I could care less what this poll says. I thought Houston felt big just from staying near the outer loop. Now I took the time to really check out all areas tht C-D ppl suggested within the inner loop. Houston is ridiculously big. It's amazing even. Skylines are all over the place.

Houston is the souths greatest city. Atlanta is 2nd. If there was a capital in the south, I still think Atlanta should get the nod. It's more accessible to the southern region.
Lol, this doesn't "upset" me; Houston IS bigger so it should feel bigger. It makes sense.

Quote:
And no, I do not consider Miami a southern city. Pensacola is for sure. Cant speak on other FL cities. Neither do I consider Dallas, Austin , SA, El Paso, Tulsa or Okc. They all are geographically but I'm talking about feel. If you go to any of those cities and feel that you are in the deep/dirty south, you are out of your mind.
All of the South isn't the "deep/dirty South" but let's not go there. Even so, culture is subjective but geography isn't so on that basis alone, Miami and the rest of Florida can rightfully be included in threads involving the South.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:56 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Prove me wrong! lol. I worded that wrong. I do think Nola is pretty compact (Just looking at a map). However, it doesn't look any more compact to me than say Dallas or Houston (not counting french quarter).
Having lived in Houston and grown up 45 mins away from New Orleans, I don't know how on Earth you think Houston looks just as compact as New Orleans.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:58 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

All of the South isn't the "deep/dirty South" but let's not go there. Even so, culture is subjective but geography isn't so on that basis alone, Miami and the rest of Florida can rightfully be included in threads involving the South.
This never made sense to me. Miami is in the south, period. It's not stereotypically southern in culture but it's in the south. New Orleans is just as unique but would never be called anything but southern.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This never made sense to me. Miami is in the south, period. It's not stereotypically southern in culture but it's in the south. New Orleans is just as unique but would never be called anything but southern.
Precisely.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:02 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Having lived in Houston and grown up 45 mins away from New Orleans, I don't know how on Earth you think Houston looks just as compact as New Orleans.
Well look at the densities of each city. Houston has a much higher population AND population density. So in other words, not only is Houston denser but the higher density comprises more area.

Having been to both A LOT, New Orleans feels dense in the French Quarter area but soon as you leave that area it doesn't feel dense at all.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:06 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
It fascinates me how many votes Houston has compared to Dallas. Never been to either except for the Dallas Airport, but I definitely grew up with the impression that Dallas was a bigger "city". To be completely honest, I have only been to two of these cities on the list (Atl and Charlotte) so I shouldn't vote. I would love to visit all these places, but I think N.O. tops the list for obvious reasons.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:18 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Ok, I took a good portion of an entire day to tour Houston's inner loop. I went through Discovery Green, MacGregor Park, Memorial Park, Riverside Terrace, Montrose, Rice Military, Rice University Area, 3rd Ward, Riverside Terrace, Uptown, TMC, and timbergrove.

My observations:

HTown is definitely underrated. I have to give Htown props for having some wonderful parks. I've heard many say Houston is ugly. That is far from the truth. It may have ugly parts near the beltway but majority of what I saw in inner loop was beautiful. I saw parts of inner loop that reminded me of Savannah:

I saw parts with streets lined with palm trees:

I saw parts that reminded me of Washington DC:

And after all that greatness in inner loop, less than an hour away is:

Uptown skyline was very wide, massive, and beautiful. Downtown skyline was very tall and massive. TMC skyline was nice too. I still wouldn't rank it's downtown's street level better than Austin or Fort Worth. I'd even give Atl's downtown the edge over Houston.

I definitely see how people say it's a southern city. It gives off a much more southern vibe than Dallas, Austin, SA, or FW. It's a big multi cultural type southern though. More like a larger Atl than a Birmingham. It's strange that it's southern vibe shines through despite it being culturally and racially diverse.

I'm still one that says TX isn't a typical southern state, TX is TX or southwest at most. I now agree, Houston is a southern city. I had some great soul food in 3rd ward. People seemed nicer face to face than dfw ppl. There seemed to be more jerks behind the wheels of cars. They'll cut you off in a heartbeat.

What's weird is Houston doesn't appear to fit in TX either. People looking to get a taste of stereotypical TX in a big city have a better chance if they go to the FW side of DFW. Houston's too cosmo for that.

Anyway, biggest feel (like larger than life) out of cities on OPs list that I been to are:

#1-Houston (due to it's inner loop)
#2-Miami

^^They stand alone

#3- Dallas
#4- Atlanta
#5- SA
#6- CLT
#7- FW
#8- OKC

In fact, Houston will join cities like Savannah on my list of most underrated. It will beat DFW to Alpha status for sure. I'm now a jealous DFW resident. HOU is a much better fit for me. Pictures don't do it justice. Visit in person!! I'd choose it over Atl and DFW any day of a non summer week.

I got a good chuckle off your post sounds like Houston is paradise to you. More than likely the huge towers scattered throughout the town, lack of zoning, and the 600 square miles city limits got you sold. Go down there periodically and see if your feelings change. I guarantee you the aw factor will go away when you really get to know the place and you will calm the rhetoric of Houston being the greatest city in the south. I can see how Houston can have you amazed coming from a bipolar metro area like DFW that doesn't revolve around one city, has zoning, and not huge on building commercial skyscrapers like Houston. The south is the only region without a clear cut top city. The northeast has NYC, Midwest has Chicago, and the West coast has LA. If southerners were to vote the majority would vote for Atlanta because it is considered the cultural capital and the it city in the southeast. I've been to Houston plenty of times and I definitely didn't feel what you felt and nothing about the town made me jealous by any stretch of the imagination. If you felt that highly of the town it may be time for you to relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City