Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which group do you prefer?
Houston & Miami-Fort Lauderdale 59 55.66%
Atlanta & Dallas-Fort Worth 41 38.68%
Other 6 5.66%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 11:00 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
No, first off it comes from the Atlanta Regional Council for Higher Education they're not going to lie, second they got the data the from the department of Education.

Houston more than 170,000 students 17 colleges and universities.
Atlanta more than 250,000 students 57 colleges and universities

Dude like really?

Failed........
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I know you didn't fall for that mess:

Education Houston

That puts us at about 331,000+ students.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You were wrong about the student poplation in Houston and I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that as well.

Can post your facts??? That just sounds unbelievable.
Came across this thread again, and decided to look through Chi's link. Not only did the link short change Houston by listing only half the students enrolled, but they included students in ATL that are not even in the metro.

Quote:
The University of Georgia and Brenau University, located contiguous to the Atlanta MSA, are included in the data as members of the Atlanta Regional Council for Higher Education ARCHE Report: The Atlanta Region: National Leader in Higher Education
Lamar, Sam Houston, Texas A&M and University of Houston Victoria are adjacent to Houston too, why didn't they include those? I know they wouldn't include A&M, that is 50K students right there

CHI the Atlanta Council might not lie, but they would manipulate the data to put ATL in the best light while downplaying other metros.
UGA is a huge school (35, 000 students) to 'accidentally' slip into ATL's numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 12:11 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
No comparison on universities/colleges, ATL-DFW soundly beat HOU-MIA on higher education; likewise on public transit. Give them the edge in shopping. I'm inclined to give the edge to ATL-DFW on economy too, Houston's got the best, but you factor two very diverse economies with major company HQ's compared to the less diverse Energy Capital of the World and the Gateway to Latin America, and the inland cities have us beat even though HOU/MIA are IMO more important economies & more vital to the US economy.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
No comparison on universities/colleges, ATL-DFW soundly beat HOU-MIA on higher education; likewise on public transit. Give them the edge in shopping. I'm inclined to give the edge to ATL-DFW on economy too, Houston's got the best, but you factor two very diverse economies with major company HQ's compared to the less diverse Energy Capital of the World and the Gateway to Latin America, and the inland cities have us beat even though HOU/MIA are IMO more important economies & more vital to the US economy.
how does ATL and DFW soundly beat Mia and Houston on education???

They are about even on education:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Don't know how you can say ATL and DFW win in every category, Houston and Miami seems to be giving them a run for their money.

US News University Rankings:

top 20: Houston Miami for the win
Houston- Rice

Top 30: Tied 1 each
Houston-Rice
ATL- Emory

Top 40: Tied two each
Houston-Rice
ATL- Emory
ATL- Georgia Tech

Miami- UM

Top Law Specialities:
IP Law: U Houston 6,
Tax law: UM 5,
Health Law: UH 6

Emory and SMU are great Law Schools but UH and UM have better specialities.

For Med Schools Research:
Emory 21
Baylor 22
UT D 24
Miami 45
UTH- 56
UT Galveston 56

I was generous to say it was a tie

That article has no data. It tells me nothing about what I asked. tell me what Industries does ATL have that Houston doesn't??
there are just as many good schools in Houston and Miami as there are in ATL and DFW.

and if you are including UGA for ATL, then you might as well include A&M for Houston and that seals the deal right there

Old 03-17-2012, 12:16 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
how does ATL and DFW soundly beat Mia and Houston on education???
Seriously?

Atlanta for one is the tops among these 4 in this regard. Quality and Quantity. Miami U is very good, often looked over and Rice is great but beyond that Atlanta alone would be much higher regarded in this category and throw in DFW and well to me it is not even a debate unless you are the worlds biggest homer.

Last edited by kidphilly; 03-17-2012 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Seriously?

Atlanta for one is the tops among these 4 in this regard. Quality and Quantity. Miami U is very good, often looked over and Rice is great but beyond that Atlanta alone would be much higher regarded in this category and throw in DFW and well to me it is not even a debate unless you are the worlds biggest homer.
how???give me categories!

Does ATL have more med schools than Houston and Miami??? NO
more law schools? no

better specialities??? NO

in all categories Houston and Miami go toe to toe with ATL.

atl has a ton of smaller schools but that doesn't say much

Emory and Georgia Tech are great, but so is Rice, and UM.

The Medical Schools in ATL are good, but seriousy Baylor??? combined with UT and UTM plus those in Miami???

I don't see ATL and DFW anywhere over HOuston -MIami at all in education.

The top schools would be ranked as follows:

Top 40: Tied two each
Houston-Rice
ATL- Emory
ATL- Georgia Tech
Miami- UM

yes ATL has two, but so does Houston and Miami.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
how???give me categories!

Does ATL have more med schools than Houston and Miami??? NO
more law schools? no

better specialities??? NO

in all categories Houston and Miami go toe to toe with ATL.

atl has a ton of smaller schools but that doesn't say much

Emory and Georgia Tech are great, but so is Rice, and UM.

The Medical Schools in ATL are good, but seriousy Baylor??? combined with UT and UTM plus those in Miami???

I don't see ATL and DFW anywhere over HOuston -MIami at all in education.
Believe what you may; quite frankly Houston needs to do a better job on the education front for a city that wants to be recognized among the top.

No sorry overall just dont see it but believe what you may

Atlanta is arguably among the top 6 or 7 cities for education; Houston nor Miami is not sorry; just dont see it

Emory and G Tech are wash with Miami and Rice; after that Atlanta has a much wider breadth and reputation

If I were going for marine biology or transplant surgery I wight choose Miami or Houston respectively but same can be said with many areas of study on the whole, no they dont match on the education front

I would probably choose the Houston/Miami combo on the whole; not on education, nope

on the bolded, this comes as no surprise; go to my prior post for guidance

Old 03-17-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Believe what you may; quite frankly Houston needs to do a better job on the education front for a city that wants to be recognized among the top.

No sorry overall just dont see it but believe what you may

Atlanta is arguably among the top 6 or 7 cities for education; Houston nor Miami is not sorry; just dont see it

Emory and G Tech are wash with Miami and Rice; after that Atlanta has a much wider breadth and reputation

If I were going for marine biology or transplant surgery I wight choose Miami or Houston respectively but same can be said with many areas of study on the whole, no they dont match on the education front

I would probably choose the Houston/Miami combo on the whole; not on education, nope

on the bolded, this comes as no surprise; go to my prior post for guidance
lol there is no guidance in your previous post.

and yes there is room for improvement, that is why the state is pushing to turn UH into another Tier one university, so no after Rice and UM both Houston and Miami have good schools.

secondly education is not limited to undergrad. And this is where Miami picks up steam. The graduate and professional programs in both Miami and Houston are on par with ATL and above Dallas.

like I said, there are tons more smaller schools in ATL, but undergrad isn't everything

show me some stats (like I did) where ATL outdoes Houston and MIami.

You are from the Northeast so you are one who buys into the notion that only good education is one that is had at a school you hear about more.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:37 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
Just look at the endowments of the major universities:
Emory 5.4 Bln
Rice 4.5 Bln
Georgia Tech 3.4 Bln
SMU 1.4 Bln
TCU 1.2 Bln

The U 716 Mln
UH 662 Mln

& DFW/ATL have better minor universities too with Spellman, Morehouse, Clark Atlanta, Georgia State, University of NT, UT-Arlington, University of Dallas.

The same tier of instiutions has a much smaller pool in MIA/HOU, with FIU, Nova Southeastern, Houston Baptist, and the Univ. of St. Thomas.

Top 150 Universities in the Nation by USNWR
Rice #17, Emory #20, Georgia Tech #36, University of Miami #38, SMU #68, TCU #97, UT-Dallas #143

For all the flack that we give DFW for no major well known, prestigious universities, it has among the best showing of middle tier universities in the nation, but of course I'll take having a Rice & UH over SMU, TCU, & UT-Dallas. And Atlanta has 2 of the top 3 HBCU's in the nation, in addition to the #17 one too.

Last edited by SouthmoreAve; 03-17-2012 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Just look at the endowments of the universities:
Emory 5.4 Bln
[COLOR="rgb(0, 191, 255)"]Rice 4.5 Bln[/color]
Georgia Tech 3.4 Bln
SMU 1.4 Bln
TCU 1.2 Bln

The U 716 Mln
UH 662 Mln

& DFW/ATL have better minor universities too with Spellman, Morehouse, Clark Atlanta, Georgia State, University of NT, UT-Arlington, University of Dallas.

The same tier of instiutions has a much smaller pool in MIA/HOU, with Florida International, Nova Southeastern, Houston Baptist, and the Univ. of St. Thomas.
you do know that Rice's endowment is 4.5B right?
what is the point in listing the highest Endowment in ATL and DFW and not in Houston and Miami??

Baylor College of Medicine too has a high endowment almost 800M.

But again, endowment means one piece of the puzzle. looking at the range of highly ranked programs Both Miami and Houston stands together with ATL and ahead of Dallas

Old 03-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
lol there is no guidance in your previous post.

and yes there is room for improvement, that is why the state is pushing to turn UH into another Tier one university, so no after Rice and UM both Houston and Miami have good schools.

secondly education is not limited to undergrad. And this is where Miami picks up steam. The graduate and professional programs in both Miami and Houston are on par with ATL and above Dallas.

like I said, there are tons more smaller schools in ATL, but undergrad isn't everything

show me some stats (like I did) where ATL outdoes Houston and MIami.

You are from the Northeast so you are one who buys into the notion that only good education is one that is had at a school you hear about more.

Yes there was

Quote:
Seriously?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City