Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 05:49 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,765,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Air quality in Los Angeles is much improved compared to a few decades ago. In the '70s, there were well over 125 days per year with smog alerts. Now there are about 4-5. The Air quality should not bother anyone except those who are extremely sensitive to it or who live in the eastern part of the L.A. basin and valleys. Downtown LA, the westside and the western portions of the San Gabriel and San Fernando valleys do no have poor air quality.

As for the weather, that is a personal choice, of course. But I do enjoy going for a bike ride in January on a 75 degree day while in other cities is about 10 or 20 degrees on the same day.
False. LA has quite a few bad air days and still has some of the worst air in the country.
Just how bad is L.A. air? The worst - LA Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 05:50 PM

996 posts, read 1,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendij1 View Post
why do people live in cleveland/ looks scary.

cleveland, milwaukee and buffalo are all scary. i prefer pretty cities.
lol

Old 07-17-2011, 06:34 PM

24,451 posts, read 33,116,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
False. LA has quite a few bad air days and still has some of the worst air in the country.
No, what I posted is accurate.
First, I've lived through the bad air quality days. After bicycling, it would hurt to breathe. That hasn't happened in over 20 years. I still go for bike rides and it never hurts to breathe now.

Also, the article you posted makes no mention of stage 1, 2 or 3 smog alerts. As I mentioned (and is verified by ABC 7 Meteorologist Dallas Raines) there were far more smog alert days in the '70s and into the '80s compared to now.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:23 PM

514 posts, read 761,786 times
Lightbulb not false

Quote:

Did you even finish reading the first sentence in the article, the part where it says marked improvement? I've lived in SoCal since 1983 and the air keeps getting better, especially considering that around 22 million live between Santa Barbara to the border and the entire area is hemmed in by mountains.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:08 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,000,674 times
EVERY time that I fly into or through LAX, I land and takeoff through a thick brown haze. I guess I am hitting the 4 or 5 bad days per year? I visited my friend in the Hollywood Hills a few years back and, though he claims he has a view of the ocean and the skyline, neither were visible through the pollution. Boy do I have lousy luck!

Old 07-22-2011, 03:39 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,765,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
Did you even finish reading the first sentence in the article, the part where it says marked improvement? I've lived in SoCal since 1983 and the air keeps getting better, especially considering that around 22 million live between Santa Barbara to the border and the entire area is hemmed in by mountains.
Wow so the air in Socal got better, it went from crap, to poop. Pat yourself on the back.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:58 PM

24,451 posts, read 33,116,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
EVERY time that I fly into or through LAX, I land and takeoff through a thick brown haze. I guess I am hitting the 4 or 5 bad days per year? I visited my friend in the Hollywood Hills a few years back and, though he claims he has a view of the ocean and the skyline, neither were visible through the pollution. Boy do I have lousy luck!
The stats speak for themselves... no stage 2 or 3 smog alerts in the last 2 decades or so and very few stage 1 smog alerts.
The L.A. basin has a natural haze... don't mistake haze for smog.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:31 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,967,436 times
Quote:
Wow so the air in Socal got better, it went from crap, to poop. Pat yourself on the back.
I am pretty sure Fleet (i.e, "Fox News Rules") and I would disagree on a LOT of things.

But on the air quality in Los Angeles he/she is very CORRECT.

Major improvements in air quality in Los Angeles since the 1970's. So much so that smog alerts are largely a thing of the past. Of course, I am not saying there is still not room for improvement.

But the native american tribes (the Chumash) that lived in the LA basin for centuries before the Spanish came to California had dubbed the area "the Valley of Smokes" because of the "natural" haze that characterizes the skies in and around Los Angeles.

And during winter we even get days like this:

Old 07-22-2011, 05:43 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times
Stan is right. The air quality is far better than it ever was when it gained the reputation. The 2nd largest metro with the most cars surrounded by mountains. LA is still in CA so it is environmentally ahead of most of the US.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:48 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,254,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
Just because something is "making improvement" does not mean that it still isn't bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City