Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times

Advertisements

1)Dallas
2)Atlanta- When I move from here(forced to because parents moved here), I'll never come back to live here again.
3)Houston
4)Pheonix
5)Any city with a metropolitan area below 2 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 04:48 PM

71 posts, read 81,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Actually, that doesn't apply to the huge majority of Los Angeles residents, including myself. I don't care who sees me or who I see.
Eh, I can still think of many other reasons why it's not for me: traffic, smog, etc. I abhorred Atlanta traffic when I lived there, so there's no way I'd be able to survive LA traffic.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:37 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Lived in the metro area for 18 months (naperville) and rode the metro into the Loop. I absolutely loved the terrific public transportation system--train, L, buses, taxis. But what drove me insane was how big a hurry everyone was in just walking (trotting) ALL THE TIME!!! I'm originally from the south, and used to a slower pace.

But downtown Chicago has some intersting restaurants, a great museum, even some pretty decent theatre. But I was blown away by the pace.

So Chicago would probably be in my five, but at the bottom of the list. Right now Dallas heads my list of places I wish I did not live in!!! LOL.
Yet the Dallas metroplex is among the fastest-growing metros in the country.....why is that? What is everybody moving there for? Was is it about it that makes you not like it?

Old 12-31-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Yet the Dallas metroplex is among the fastest-growing metros in the country.....why is that? What is everybody moving there for? Was is it about it that makes you not like it?
If we go by your logic, then Houston and Dallas are the most liked cities in the states, yet they blow when it comes to visitor and tourist numbers.

Just because it's one of the fastest growing doesn't make it some of the best liked cities. People move there because its cheap and offers them a higher quality of life. If cities like NYC/LA/SF were as cheap as Dallas, they would see an upsurge of people move there, but the reason it's expensive because of little supply and high demand.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
1)Dallas
2)Atlanta- When I move from here(forced to because parents moved here), I'll never come back to live here again.
3)Houston
4)Pheonix
5)Any city with a metropolitan area below 2 million.
What have you got against Atlanta? You want the big city life, but Atlanta doesn't cut it for you? It's a HUGE city with a lot of variety, is it not?

Old 12-31-2012, 08:31 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Dallas is not the only city receiving explosive growth. Check out Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Miami, some other huge cities that are also growing fast. But just because these cities are growing does not make them better, they are still all much smaller with a lot less to offer than places like Chicago, L.A., and New York.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What have you got against Atlanta? You want the big city life, but Atlanta doesn't cut it for you? It's a HUGE city with a lot of variety, is it not?
Atlanta does not have a big city feel to me. Places like NYC, Chi, SF, DC, and LA do. Part of that is it's not a very walkable city. It's does not have many streets(or streets at all) with many people walking on it almost all day or a good part of the night. It does not have that super-hip neighborhood like NYC and SF. I mean midtown Atlanta is alright, but it's just too small and not very dense....it still leaves much to be desired.

Also, Atlanta's rail system sucks. You can't really take it everywhere in the city.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:57 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
Of the cities I have spent some time in (there may be worse ones, I would not know)

1. OKC - a concatenation of megachurches, parking lots and fat people that really defies description. Visit once so you will feel grateful that you live somewhere else. And did I mention 3.2% beer. Shudder.

2. Charlotte -all the hassles of Atlanta with none of the charm, sprawling soulless sunbelt horror, and you would think all those bankers would have been able to command better restaurants and more sophisticated entertainment options - NOT.

2. Phoenix - the person upthread who described it as the inland empire without LA nailed it; an intellectual and cultural wasteland, only better than Charlotte because of extraordinary surrounding desert beauty.

4. Denver - the front range is beautiful but Denver itself is flat, brown, blah and nearly as smug as San Francisco, but with no reason. Sink Molly Brown. Have to be there next Monday for work - not looking forward again.

5. Rochester - a much smaller city, so this might be unfair. Awful weather: dirty, decrepit and spelling errors on restaurant menus. My friend, who is unlucky enough to live there calls it Crotchfester, and I see why.

Lubbock TX and Orlando FL could also very easily have made the list.

I feel bad just thinking about these cities.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:01 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Sorry, mrjun, I'm gonna have to fire you for putting Denver on that list. All the rest are okay, but I miss Denver a lot!
lol

Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times
I got 3. NYC, Miami Florida, and L.A. Reason-Cost Of Living in these cities are ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City