Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 04:23 PM

300 posts, read 1,014,774 times

Advertisements

Phoenix - Too hot

Texas (yes the entire state) - Too humid

Portland - Too cloudy.

Detroit - Do I even gotta explain it? Its a shi*t hole.

Boston - I dont know alot, but they seem like snobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 04:27 PM

285 posts, read 703,096 times
Los Angeles--Too much sprawl, too little mass transit.

Syracuse--Too much snow.

Detroit--Too much crime

Phoenix--Too much heat

Houston--Too much humidity

Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Have you been to Haiti? Look Detroit has its problems but its no third world country. Turn off the TV sometimes. smh
I'm Haitian, Detroit is NOWHERE NEAR as dreary, depressed, dilapidated and poverty-stricken as Haiti is. You can have run-down crack houses, or public-housing, but even THAT is a HUGE world of difference from a third-world slum with no running water. Detroit is far from where Haiti is now(even before the Great Earthquake of 2010). It's just hyperbole, it's all just hyperbole they're using.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:18 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
People on city-data know so much about population, and GDP, and urbanism more than your average person. But at the same time people on C-D have to be the most most uniformed, and are gullible to media stereotypes, more than most people in America. And the ones that ARE informed, are some of the most pretentious people in America.
Exactly. Then I see comments like this.
Quote:
Houston (weather, no walkability, bad architecture, conservative)
Houston is anything but conservative.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Miami, Pensacola, Tampa, Tallahassee, Melbourne FL.

Because they're in FL.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:22 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,330 times
Quote:
I'm Haitian, Detroit is NOWHERE NEAR as dreary, depressed, dilapidated and poverty-stricken as Haiti is. You can have run-down crack houses, or public-housing, but even THAT is a HUGE world of difference from a third-world slum with no running water. Detroit is far from where Haiti is now(even before the Great Earthquake of 2010). It's just hyperbole, it's all just hyperbole they're using.
Thank you! People don't even realized there is much more to Detroit than the ghettos. Last time I checked we had plenty of intact neighborhoods from the typical working class to upper class and everything in between. I swear people on C-D think they know so much and don't know **** (ie the "Detroit is a ****ehole" comment about smh idiot)

then again how in the hell can you compare a city to a whole country anyway?

Old 01-12-2011, 06:23 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
Phoenix - Too hot

Texas (yes the entire state) - Too humid

Portland - Too cloudy.

Detroit - Do I even gotta explain it? Its a shi*t hole.

Boston - I dont know alot, but they seem like snobs.
smh and you're an idiot

Old 01-12-2011, 06:36 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Miami and entire South Florida region - have you read the negatives on this forum? Enough for me personally.

Detroit - "You better lose yourself in the [depression]"

Milwaukee and SE Wisconsin - working in customer service, many of the clients I met from there were cold, surly and impolite. Not really mean, but just a terrible sense of deep-seeded collective anger. No thanks!

Indianapolis - the state of Indiana generally fits the Milwaukee description above. Plus, it's just a boring city.

Washington, DC and capital region - the only place I've ever been where the cops have LIED in giving immediate directions. Much of the city is a run-down dump and the folks ain't 'dat fraaandly.

Honorable mentions are cities that I would move to if and only if the right job opportunity arose: any other city in Michigan, any city in North Dakota, Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska; Denver, Phoenix, Dallas, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus (OH), Green Bay, Duluth (MN), Cedar Rapids (IA), St. Louis, Kansas City, Montgomery (AL), Macon (GA), Columbus (GA), Baltimore, Buffalo, Rochester

Old 01-12-2011, 07:34 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,171,540 times
Quote:
People on city-data know so much about population, and GDP, and urbanism more than your average person. But at the same time people on C-D have to be the most most uniformed, and are gullible to media stereotypes, more than most people in America. And the ones that ARE informed, are some of the most pretentious people in America.
haha Can't rep you enough!

I get so sick of people laying the Hollywood stereotype on all of California/Southern California. I hardly think half these so called "experts" have even been to half the cities they blatantly stereotype.

Phoenix gets picked on a lot. It really isn't that bad. I could live there fine if I had to.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:01 PM

260 posts, read 757,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
all of Detroit is not run down or abandoned. WE LOST HALF OF OUR POPULATION! what do people not understand about that??? when a city looses half its population there is going to be some abandonment

people on this site I swear smh

I just want to say that Detroit is a cool city. All of my family lives there and I've been going there every summer since I was 6 years old in 1974. While the economy has taken its toll, and Kwame has managed to screw everyone over, Detroit is still neat. From what I've heard Detroit is a good investment opportunity, and Dave Bing has done alot. Hamtramck is still, in my opinion, incredible. I have no idea why, but it is. People give Detriot too much crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City