Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Three of These Cities is The Mecca For Buppies?
DC 95 37.85%
ATL 103 41.04%
NYC 53 21.12%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:19 PM

423 posts, read 645,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Wait and D.C. doesn't? You have to be kidding me.

The last video was from 90's, D.C.'s murder cap era.

Heres something more up to date:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUh0H-5sx6k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y59Hypb1gv0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaLdI...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W20Q4...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH2_a...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 08:33 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanti View Post
^^^ Why do people from Atlanta keep putting misinformation on this forum about Atlanta like it has the largest concentration of black millionaires or it has the largest concentration of HBCU's. All one would have to do is research. Going over Black Enterprises top 100 black owned companies for 2010 I have created a list of black companies from Atlanta, D.C., and Baltimore.

Out of 25 banks...

2) Urban Trust: D.C., (Robert Johnson's bank with most operations in Bethesda, MD but inc. in Florida for tax purposes. Assets 696.9 mil
7) Citizen Bankshare: Atlanta, Assets 387.5 mil
9) Industrial Bank: D.C., Assets 360.7
10) Capitol City Bank: Atlanta, Assets 325.6
11) Harbor Bank of Maryland: Baltimore, Assets 304.6
15) Independence Federal Savings: D.C., Assets 156.6
22) Advance Bank: Baltimore, Assets 76.0

With three of the 25 largest banks in D.C. and two in Baltimore how can anyone state that Atlanta has the largest black owned banks.

I'll give a more summarized list of the other industries:

Out of the 100 Industrial service companies D.C. has 16 companies, Baltimore has 1 company and Atlanta has 6. This sector D.C. clearly dominates with companies like Choice Hotel the largest black owned hotel company.
Out of 15 Asset Management companies D.C. has 1, Baltimore has 1 and Atlanta has 2. But to be honest this is a small sector in terms of assets.
Out of 15 private equity firms D.C. has 2, Baltimore has 1 and Atlanta has 0.
Out of 10 advertising agencies Atlanta has 1 and none for D.C./Balt.
Out of 5 tax exempt investment banks Atlanta has 1 and none for D.C./Balt.
Out of 60 auto dealers D.C. has 3, Baltimore has 0 and Atlanta has 4.

So D.C. is the clear winner in the business category.

An as far as HBCU,s how can Atlanta claim the highest concentration of black ivy's when Morehouse and Spellman total combined enrollment is 5,900 and Howard's is 10,500. And its been well known for over a century that Howard is the black Harvard with more graduate colleges than any other HBCU by far.

And where does everyone get this misinformation about Atlanta having the highest concentration of black millionaires when the previous stats about black households over $200,000 income bracket had D.C. leading Atlanta 21,000 households to 7,000 households. And adding Baltimore would bring the number to 26,000. Three of the top ten richest black Americans reside in the D.C. area and there is a higher percentage of college educated blacks in D.C.
1. Your Cherry picked facts don't even prove DC is somehow more "black Business" becuase Atlanta won most of the categories you posted.

2. Atlanta has more then 2 HCBUs...

Old 01-22-2011, 09:45 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
"Salty"? I don't think I've heard that term since middle school, lol. And I'm 24, by the way.

What about all the black people who live in Chicago suburbs? What about all the black professionals who have professional jobs in Downtown Chicago and live in the Chicago suburbs? You seriously should come to south suburban Cook County sometime. Look up the stats to Olympia Fields, Illinois. Both me and Suburban_boy live in close proximity to Olympia Fields.

And surprise, surprise! There are actually MORE black people living in the Chicago metropolitan area than the Atlanta metropolitan area.
You posted stats from 2007; however, the lastest stats indicate that Atlanta's metro area has more African-Americans than Chicago's metro area (Chicago's Black Population Drops To Third In Nation; Atlanta Now Second).

Old 01-22-2011, 11:52 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanti View Post
^^^ Why do people from Atlanta keep putting misinformation on this forum about Atlanta like it has the largest concentration of black millionaires or it has the largest concentration of HBCU's . All one would have to do is research. Going over Black Enterprises top 100 black owned companies for 2010 I have created a list of black companies from Atlanta, D.C., and Baltimore.

You talk about doing research?Misinformation?Then disprove it.I got the black millionaire comment from several publications:
http://www.ejrc.cau.edu/State_Black_...Summit2010.pdf

Quote:
largest concentration of HBCU's
Do you know what the AUC is?The Atlanta University Center?It has 4 institutions.
Morehouse
Clark-Atlanta University
Morris Brown College
The International Theological Center

Out of 25 banks...

2) Urban Trust: D.C., (Robert Johnson's bank with most operations in Bethesda, MD but inc. in Florida for tax purposes. Assets 696.9 mil
7) Citizen Bankshare: Atlanta, Assets 387.5 mil
9) Industrial Bank: D.C., Assets 360.7
10) Capitol City Bank: Atlanta, Assets 325.6
11) Harbor Bank of Maryland: Baltimore, Assets 304.6
15) Independence Federal Savings: D.C., Assets 156.6
22) Advance Bank: Baltimore, Assets 76.0

With three of the 25 largest banks in D.C. and two in Baltimore how can anyone state that Atlanta has the largest black owned banks.

If most cities in the U.S. have none or just 1 black owned bank and Atlanta has 2 then yes it is fair to say that it is not THE LEADER but does LEAD in this category.But the statement I made was a generalization that Atlanta is a leader in multiple areas that I listed.What about the other financial sectors you CHOSE to leave out?
Such as :
Investment Banks?(Jackson Securities-Atlanta)D.C. nor BALTIMORE HAS none.
Asset Managers?Atlanta has 2 with one being the 3rd largest behind one in Ft.Worth and Boston.But I guess your RESEARCH ,missed that too huh?You just left that info out.How convenient.

I'll give a more summarized list of the other industries:

Out of the 100 Industrial service companies D.C. has 16 companies, Baltimore has 1 company and Atlanta has 6. This sector D.C. clearly dominates with companies like Choice Hotel the largest black owned hotel company.
Out of 15 Asset Management companies D.C. has 1, Baltimore has 1 and Atlanta has 2. But to be honest this is a small sector in terms of assets.
Out of 15 private equity firms D.C. has 2, Baltimore has 1 and Atlanta has 0.
Out of 10 advertising agencies Atlanta has 1 and none for D.C./Balt.
Out of 5 tax exempt investment banks Atlanta has 1 and none for D.C./Balt.
Out of 60 auto dealers D.C. has 3, Baltimore has 0 and Atlanta has 4.

So D.C. is the clear winner in the business category.

How is D.C the clear winner?If anything its draw.

An as far as HBCU,s how can Atlanta claim the highest concentration of black ivy's when Morehouse and Spellman total combined enrollment is 5,900 and Howard's is 10,500. And its been well known for over a century that Howard is the black Harvard with more graduate colleges than any other HBCU by far.
The statement was never about number of students.It was about number of insttutions.But hey,like they say can't win one argument,change the argument.By the way,F.Y.I there are over a dozen IVy league schools,Harvard is not the only one.I never claimed one was more superior to the other.Personally I see no difference.All three put out great black leaders.Not to mention that Spelman and Morehouse are colleges ,not universities.But if you must:
Historically Black Colleges and Universities Ranking - Best Colleges - Education - US News

And where does everyone get this misinformation about Atlanta having the highest concentration of black millionaires when the previous stats about black households over $200,000 income bracket had D.C. leading Atlanta 21,000 households to 7,000 households. And adding Baltimore would bring the number to 26,000. Three of the top ten richest black Americans reside in the D.C. area and there is a higher percentage of college educated blacks in D.C.

The largest Construction companies are also in Atlanta
H.J.Russell-construction
C.D.Moody-Construction

Largest Black owned hair company:
Bronner Brothers Which host the International Hair Show(The largest hair expo in th world),and owner/founder of Upscale Magazine
Quote:
In 2004, Wal-Mart recognized Bronner Bros. as their top vendor of the year in their annual report. The same year, the largest beauty and barber retailing supplier in the United States, Sally Beauty Supply, also named the company their top vendor of the year.
Air Atlanta, the nation's first black-owned jet airline.

The Black millionaire fact came from many sources including this one:
http://www.ejrc.cau.edu/State_Black_...Summit2010.pdf

Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 AM

314 posts, read 759,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yep...

There are a few basic questions that can be asked to determine if someone's a buppy?

1. (For women) Do you have natural hair (i.e., twists, locks, frizz)? If you don't, have you seriously considered the "Big Chop?" If so, add a point.

2. Do you even know what the "Big Chop" means? If no, subtract a point.

3. Do you own an album (or at least have assorted tracks on your iPod) by at least FOUR of the following artists: Laura Izibor, Des'ree, Corinne Bailey Rae, Chaka Khan, Robin Thicke, Foreign Exchange, Kem, The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, Maxwell, Remy Shand, Erykah Badu (only the first two albums), Jill Scott (first album only), Alicia Keys, D'Angelo, Amel Larrieux, Les Nubiens, Meshell Ndegeocello, Jazzyfatnastees, Floetry, Raphael Saadiq? If yes, add a point. If no, stop taking the test. You are not a buppy.

4. Do you own a copy of Love Jones on DVD? If yes, add a point.

5. Do you own a copy of Love Jones on VHS? If yes, add two points.

6. Have you even seen the movie Love Jones? If no, subtract four points.

7. Do you own any vinyl records? If so, add a point.

8. Do you drink Kool-Aid? If so, subtract two points.

9. Do you drink? If no, subtract a point.

10. Is Heineken your default beer? If so, subtract a point.

11. Does the church you attend end with the words "Missionary Baptist?" If so, subtract a point.

12. Do you attend the 8 AM Sunday service so you can hit the streets at the height of the brunch hour? If yes, add a point.

13. Does your church not have an 8 AM service, but instead only the 11 AM service? If so, subtract a point.

14. Do you not "do" brunch? If not, then subtract a point.

15. Did you ever have a My Space account? If so, subtract a point.

16. Did you ever have a Black Planet account? If so, add a point.

17. Do you buy copies of Jet and Ebony magazine at the grocery store? If so, subtract a point.

18. Did you attend an HBCU other than Morehouse, Spelman, Howard or Hampton? If so, subtract two points.

19. Which song would you rather hear at a party: "Empire State of Mind" by Jay-Z or "No Hands" by Wocka Flocka Flame? If ***** man, add one point. If Wocka, subtract a point.

20. Do you eat turkey bacon? If yes, add a point. If no, subtract a point.

21. Are you a member of a frat? If so, add a point.

22. Do you "converse" or do you "conversate?" If the latter, subtract two points.

23. Which TV show do you prefer: The Cosby Show or Martin? If Martin, subtract a point.

24. Were you fearful to let your coworkers know that deep down inside you secretly agreed with many of Reverend Wright's comments? If so, add a point.

25. Have you ever visited another continent? If yes, add two points. If no, subtract two points.

The highest possible score is 14. You need at least 9 points to qualify as a buppy.

So buppies are uppdity oreo/whitewashed negros with only superficial black cultural influences?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Chicago lack black novelty. Thats the main reasons New York City & Chicago get over looked when it comes to what blacks seek when it comes to success. Even the gangs the originated in Chicago were more intelligent than ones in say LA or NYC. Chicago is a black powerhouse. Well many blacks there have class. I still feel Detriot is the best representation of what BLACKS truely are in America, but the flyness of the Chicago black is rivaled by DC & DC only.

Being an intelligent gangmember is an contradiction...Chicago gangs from impoverished slums killing rival gang members from different slums over the dope trade/territory are no more advanced than rival tribes in Africa killing eachother over cattle and grazing land muchless the LA/New York gangs ..All are equaly stupid...It's an insult that so many blacks glorify this self destructive behavior

Old 01-23-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
So buppies are uppdity oreo/whitewashed negros with only superficial black cultural influences?
Thats the way I see it

Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 AM

[quote=waronxmas;17362232]Other signs you are a buppie:

-You've vacationed in Martha's Vineyard or anywhere on Cape Cod for that matter.
-You have used the term "vacationed"

-Your favorite wine is either Chardonnay or Merlot

-You have a favorite wine

-You drive a hybrid or a Range Rover

-You are a legacy Alpha, Kappa or Delta

-You have watched every episode of Friends and/or Seinfeld and have at least 12 quotes from either show on the ready at any given time

-You went through a punk rock, hippie, or heavy metal phase

-You are a fan of either Wynton Marsalis OR Branford Marsalis. Never both.

-You only shop at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's or a food co-op

-You have a Starbucks card

-You have purchased merchandise on credit not because you didn't have the money for it, but wanted to take advantage of the 6 months no interest to up your credit score

-You have gentrified a neighborhood

-You and your spouse have put off having children until one or both of you have finished second degree/grad/medical/law school

-You've uttered the words "You know, I would LOVE to live in {Canada, Paris, London, Tokyo}"

-You write poetry as a "hobby" and day dream about being the next Alice Walker or Langston Hughes

-You or someone in your family has attended a Cotillion

-You may have never owned a pair of duck shoes, but you want to

-You own a Macintosh or covet one

-You have either an iPhone and/or a BlackBerry.

-You have referred to your BlackBerry as a Crackberry

-You've been skiing before

-You went to Morehouse, Spelman, Howard or Hampton...but secretly wish you went to Tennessee St, FAMU, or Southern[/QUOTE]

I don't think those buppies would enjoy Southern University much cause it's not known as an mecca of uppdity safe blacks like say Howard or Morehouse..

Old 01-23-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
Thats the way I see it

Yeah by the descriptions giving buppies sound like a PC term for Toms to me.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
Yeah by the descriptions giving buppies sound like a PC term for Toms to me.
It is lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City