Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Three of These Cities is The Mecca For Buppies?
DC 95 37.85%
ATL 103 41.04%
NYC 53 21.12%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:53 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Pg county had more carjackings than the entire state of Virginia
It's still the wealthiest majority black county in the country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 02:38 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Pg county had more carjackings than the entire state of Virginia
I'm pretty sure that's mostly limited to inner-beltway PG County. Outside the Beltway, it's a different story.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:05 AM

320 posts, read 717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderlust View Post
When it comes to black wealth only one place on earth takes the cake...Prince George's county. There are SEVERAL towns in PG county that are among the top 100 richest places in the country (in terms of median household income)

There are no black towns in NYC or Atlanta area or anywhere else where the median household income is over $100,000. However, PG Co. has several, including Fairwood (a top 10), and other top 100 richest towns with over $100,000 like Mitchellville, Accokeek, Rosaryville, Ft. Washington, Brandywine, Woodmore, Bowie, Glenn Dale... and these are ALL majority black ...Keep in mind that the median income in Beverly Hills is less than $100,000....black towns!
Once again, all of these places mentioned are suburbs. Give me some neighborhoods with those type of statistics in D.C. city proper and not PG County. The question isn't "which city is the best for Black suburbanites?". PG County would win hands down. We are talking about Young.... Black...... Urban..... Professionals. Not middle-aged commuters living in overpriced mcmansions in soccer mom heaven.

If this was a thread about which city is the best for Black soccer moms, then PG County would come to mind. However, we are talking about urban environments so keep it within DC.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:24 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,651,651 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
Once again, all of these places mentioned are suburbs. Give me some neighborhoods with those type of statistics in D.C. city proper and not PG County. The question isn't "which city is the best for Black suburbanites?". PG County would win hands down. We are talking about Young.... Black...... Urban..... Professionals. Not middle-aged commuters living in overpriced mcmansions in soccer mom heaven.

If this was a thread about which city is the best for Black soccer moms, then PG County would come to mind. However, we are talking about urban environments so keep it within DC.
I see what you mean but if you were in DC and seen buppies on the metro you wouldn't know whose going to PG and whose going somewhere in DC. Likewise if you're working in DC then it doesn't matter where you're coming from. Chicago is 2nd to NY in the number of blacks within the city but nobody is claiming Chicago as the best place for buppies . It's bc of DC that pg county is what it is not the other way around.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:24 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Having lived in New York for a little while now, I'm modifying my position slightly. I still think DC is better from a networking perspective. In DC, there is a higher percentage of blacks in the senior ranks of law firms, non-profits, government, etc. From a purely social perspective, however, I think NYC is much better than DC.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I see what you mean but if you were in DC and seen buppies on the metro you wouldn't know whose going to PG and whose going somewhere in DC. Likewise if you're working in DC then it doesn't matter where you're coming from. Chicago is 2nd to NY in the number of blacks within the city but nobody is claiming Chicago as the best place for buppies . It's bc of DC that pg county is what it is not the other way around.
I don't know why Chicago isn't on the list. It's just as urban and Black as DC. You can't get more urban or Blacker than Chicago, unless you go to Harlem or Bed-Stuy. Plus, contrary to popular belief there are still plenty of successful Blacks. The Obamas weren't an anomaly. They're from Kenwood/Hyde Park, which houses a plethora of influential blacks such as Minister Louis Farrakahn, Valarie Jarrett, Jesse Jackson, Carol Mosely Braun, etc (don't let the median income of the area fool you; there's money and influence in that area).

The city also has a lot of historical value to Blacks culturally, politically and economically.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:24 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,284 times
Quote:
I don't know why Chicago isn't on the list. It's just as urban and Black as DC. You can't get more urban or Blacker than Chicago, unless you go to Harlem or Bed-Stuy. Plus, contrary to popular belief there are still plenty of successful Blacks. The Obamas weren't an anomaly. They're from Kenwood/Hyde Park, which houses a plethora of influential blacks such as Minister Louis Farrakahn, Valarie Jarrett, Jesse Jackson, Carol Mosely Braun, etc (don't let the median income of the area fool you; there's money and influence in that area).

The city also has a lot of historical value to Blacks culturally, politically and economically.

Chicago is also home to the worst housing projects in the nation. Not to mention that it was home to the most infamous housing project, Cabrini Green.

Like mentioned earlier on this thread, yuppies don't have to be rich. They are just part of the professional class. Just because Chicago has a few neighborhood with upscale blacks doesn't mean it leads the country as being home to the most buppies.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:

Chicago is a cool place. You have a lot of well-to-do blacks there. But from what my friends tell me who grew up there, it's similar to Philly in that people care a whole lot about where you went to high school. When I visited Chicago, about 70 percent of the people I met were Whitney Young alums.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Chicago is also home to the worst housing projects in the nation. Not to mention that it was home to the most infamous housing project, Cabrini Green.

Like mentioned earlier on this thread, yuppies don't have to be rich. They are just part of the professional class. Just because Chicago has a few neighborhood with upscale blacks doesn't mean it leads the country as being home to the most buppies.
Negative!! Just about every major housing project in Chicago is closed. Plus, what does that have to do with Buppies anyway? DC, NY and ATL all have bad projects.

Chicago doesn't have a few neighborhoods with upscale blacks. It has plenty of neighborhoods within and beyond the city limits. My argument is that while most people use PG county and ATL suburbs as a major criteria for being a buppy paradise, that's not the true definition of a Black Urban Professional. My arguement is that PG County and ATL suburbanites don't count because they aren't considered true buppies. You don't see me putting down south suburban cook county to prove that Chicago's legit. I'm using real urban neighborhoods as proof such as Kenwood/Hyde Park, Oakland, Bronzeville, Chatham, Rogers Park, East Garfield Park, Beverly/West Morgan Park, Jackson Park Highlands, Pill Hill, South loop, etc.

There are buppies all over the city where you wouldn't think blacks live.
Show me neighborhoods in ATL and DC where buppies live, not these cookie cutter suburbs you all worship so dearly. I'm pretty sure they exist, but you all aren't bringing them up.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:55 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,094 times
Quote:
Negative!! Just about every major housing project in Chicago is closed. Plus, what does that have to do with Buppies anyway? DC, NY and ATL all have bad projects.

Chicago doesn't have a few neighborhoods with upscale blacks. It has plenty of neighborhoods within and beyond the city limits. My argument is that while most people use PG county and ATL suburbs as a major criteria for being a buppy paradise, that's not the true definition of a Black Urban Professional. My arguement is that PG County and ATL suburbanites don't count because they aren't considered true buppies. You don't see me putting down south suburban cook county to prove that Chicago's legit. I'm using real urban neighborhoods as proof such as Kenwood/Hyde Park, Oakland, Bronzeville, Chatham, Rogers Park, East Garfield Park, Beverly/West Morgan Park, Jackson Park Highlands, Pill Hill, South loop, etc.

There are buppies all over the city where you wouldn't think blacks live.
Show me neighborhoods in ATL and DC where buppies live, not these cookie cutter suburbs you all worship so dearly. I'm pretty sure they exist, but you all aren't bringing them up.
Agree with all the neighborhoods EXCEPT East Garfield Park. I know there are some professional people who fixed up some of the homes there but it's still the hood.

mas23
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City