Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could Toronto be Considered a US City?
Yes 39 27.66%
No 102 72.34%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Topics like this and the 28% votes it's got are some of the reasons why the rest of the world considers Americans ignorant. How would you like it if even a certain percentage of Canadians said NYC was really a Canadian city?
To Canadians out there who have read this and are rightfully appalled. I apologize for my fellow offensive Americans, just know not all of us or even a majority are this ignorant.
The question is really about similarities not nationality. Take a chill pill.

Does it feel like a US city? Yes. Is it a US city? no. Would it have been a US city had history played out slightly different? Yes.

Now prove to me that YOU aren't ignorant and tell me exactly what year the colonies of America lost claim to that portion of Ontario.

Can't do it without looking it up? Oh. Well I guess you aren't so great either huh?

I'm from upstate NY. If people said I was Canadian I'd simply find it funny, not offensive. Hell we call people from Maine Canadian to poke fun. Don't be so uptight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
The question is really about similarities not nationality. Take a chill pill.

Does it feel like a US city? Yes. Is it a US city? no. Would it have been a US city had history played out slightly different? Yes.

Now prove to me that YOU aren't ignorant and tell me exactly what year the colonies of America lost claim to that portion of Ontario.

Can't do it without looking it up? Oh. Well I guess you aren't so great either huh?

I'm from upstate NY. If people said I was Canadian I'd simply find it funny, not offensive. Hell we call people from Maine Canadian to poke fun. Don't be so uptight.

How far back in history are you going though? During the war of 1812 Toronto was a "British" owned and occupied town. The Americans were interested in capturing it from the British, it was never owned by them. Unless you're talking before the 1800's; back when Toronto was nothing but a small village by the lake.

Had the Americans won would Toronto be an American city? Mayne. But in terms of cultural influence and ownership back then it was all British.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:29 AM

32 posts, read 53,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
I fail to see how Toronto's more similar to NZ/Aus/GB than America on a cultural level. That statement seems a little absurd. Maybe on a POLITICAL level Canada's distant from the US, sure.... but culturally? No way. I also fail to see the resemblence in Isreal and the US. Please enlighten me.
Have you even been to Britain? I've spent time there and have relatives there. My dad is from Britain. I've also spent lots of time in the United States, and even lived there for over a year.

Canada is absolutely more similar to Britain culturally than it is to the United States.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:31 AM

32 posts, read 53,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
You're just fooling yourself if you think Canada is more similar to GB than US. I am from NY and I've been to London and Toronto, and when I first visited Toronto it was like driving to Long Island or Connecticut, there was no culture shock whatsoever. I can't speak for the rest of the US, but Ontario is very similar to the Northern-Northeastern US.
You're going based on how it "looks". I'm talking about the culture and lifestyle of the people. Those are two COMPLETELY different things.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:09 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daring_Dirk View Post
Have you even been to Britain? I've spent time there and have relatives there. My dad is from Britain. I've also spent lots of time in the United States, and even lived there for over a year.

Canada is absolutely more similar to Britain culturally than it is to the United States.

as has been mentioned before on other posts on a sliding scale of Anglosphere culture with the US on one end and the UK on the other, Canada (with exception of Quebec and Atlantic Canada) is much closer to the US end and i think you would be the only person to argue against that:

US>>Canada>>>>Australia>New Zealand>>>Ireland>>UK

Old 01-24-2011, 12:29 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times
Quote:
You're going based on how it "looks". I'm talking about the culture and lifestyle of the people. Those are two COMPLETELY different things.
i have spent time in London (relatives there) and also a couple years in Canada, now back in the US. There is definitely more "British" influences (mainly in government/ institutions) in Canada than the US of course as it is Commonwealth and it has some historical ties..

but on day-to-day existence (I was there for 2 years) I didn't even feel like I was in a "foreign" atmosphere when i was in Canada but when I was in the UK you can actually experience Culture shock.

One thing I do agree with is the old people though. Alot of the Canadian seniors seemed very British (well many of them are) and probably identify with the British way of doing things/ thinking. But from the baby boomers down to the younger generation, they are very much Americanized, indistinguishable except by accent.

In regards to OP, I don't think Toronto can be considered a US city although it feels more American than other Canadian cities. It is in a different country, a similar neighboring country, but it's still in a different country! Plus Toronto is way more harmonious, civil and integrated than any US metros that size (I was in Vancouver though and it is more cliquey and segregated, and higher crime rate than Toronto, but still less than US).

Last edited by f1000; 01-24-2011 at 12:45 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 12:34 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
How far back in history are you going though? During the war of 1812 Toronto was a "British" owned and occupied town. The Americans were interested in capturing it from the British, it was never owned by them. Unless you're talking before the 1800's; back when Toronto was nothing but a small village by the lake.

Had the Americans won would Toronto be an American city? Mayne. But in terms of cultural influence and ownership back then it was all British.
Even further back actually. To the seventeen hundreds. Both Massachusetts and New York had claim on that land at different times. It had nearly become a colony of the future US. New York lost claim in 1774 I believe.

And yes it was all British. But most of the land the British held became US territory.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:36 PM

707 posts, read 687,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most of Canada can be considered a part of the U.S.
Except for the attitude, gun control, crime rate, health care, taxes, government...

Old 01-24-2011, 12:41 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
No way man, you are the only person on the entire planet to argue this point. How am I basing it on how it "looks" when I've actually been there? You might have an argument if Canadians were just as crazy as the Brits about footy and rugby, but most Canadians follow the same sports as Northeastern US (hockey, baseball, American football, lacrosse, basketball). Heck even our teams play in the same conference, and the Sabres play in the same division as the Maple Leafs...

Old 01-24-2011, 12:52 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,802 times
How do Canadians live a British lifestyle? We're just as car/freeway dependant as the Americans are. I only agree with you on Judicial and Government terms, as it all relates to historical ties with England; none of it's relevant today as it was all stemmed off from centuries ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City